Barrow worth the $$$

seychelles

We are considering a one day tour from Fairbanks to Barrow with a chance to "dip" our toes in the Arctic Ocean. It also makes a stop at a native village so we would get an up close and personal look at how they live. The trip is quite pricey at $415/pp.

Just wondering if anyone has done this and is it worth the $$$?

Either overnight in Barrow or take one of Alaska Airlines' "loop" itineraries to Noma and Kotzebue (OTZ is also north of the Arctic Circle, OME is not.) Fly to Kotzebue, overnight, visit Nome on return to ANC, or fly to Nome, overnight, back via Kotzebue the next day - your choice.

This way you see an interesting very historic non-Native settlement (Nome) and an Eskimo community (Kotzebue), both important settlements up in the northwest. Dip toes in both the Arctic Ocean and the Bering Sea if you want. Have warm socks at the ready. ;)

Unfortunately our schedule doesn't allow for an overnight which sounds like the best way to go.

Any suggestions what can be done from Fairbanks to experience the Arctic Circle/Ocean?

Also, (this may be a stupid question), but are we in the Arctic Ocean when we're cruising the Inside Passage or is that the Pacific? The idea of seeing the Arctic Ocean and the Bering Sea really intrigues me and I'd love to figure out a way to do it.

Thanks again:)

Unfortunately our schedule doesn't allow for an overnight which sounds like the best way to go.

Any suggestions what can be done from Fairbanks to experience the Arctic Circle/Ocean?

Also, (this may be a stupid question), but are we in the Arctic Ocean when we're cruising the Inside Passage or is that the Pacific? The idea of seeing the Arctic Ocean and the Bering Sea really intrigues me and I'd love to figure out a way to do it.

Thanks again:)

Alaska Airlines has one day excursions from Anchorage or Fairbanks to Barrow or from Anchorage to Nome. See http://vacations.alaskaair.com/Alaska/Alaska-Vacations.asp. Click on the town names to see details of the one-day excursions.

If you don't want the tour, you can buy ordinary plane tickets that are probbaly cheaper, and any of the cab drivers in Nome, Kotzebue or Barrow can show you the sights, probably cheaper than the packages. These are very small places.

The Pacific extends up the coast to the Alaska Peninsula and Aleutian Islands. North of the Aleutians the Bering Sea extends to the Bering Strait (west of Nome.) North of the Bering Strait (Kotzebue, Barrow) you're on the Arctic Ocean. The Bering is regarded by most folks as an extension of the Pacific, much as the Mediterranean is regarded as an extension of the Atlantic.

Thanks Gardyloo. You are just full of good information. Have you done the trip to Barrow and do you think it's worthwhile if we can't do the overnight? I know I'm being persistent, but I don't know when we'll get back to Alaska and don't want to have any regrets!:)

I haven't been to Barrow on a tour, just business trips some years ago. I think a visit to a bush village is an essential experience for visitors to Alaska. Yes, it's expensive as a day excursion, and an overnight would be better (not that there's any "night" - midnight sun and all that far north.) It would only be a little taste of what ought to be a more in-depth experience; possibly worth it if you don't plan to return to Alaska soon, otherwise my suggestion would be to plan for a return.

You may want to look at the toursaver coupon for the flight/shuttle Coldfoot option? This is extremely CHEAP and offer you a cross of the Arctic Circle but not the Arctic Ocean. I have gone with the long established company- very well run and excellent tour. Another option I have done several times is to fly with Warbelow on their cargo runs, you can get to see some real remote places and usually spectacular scenery. I still say- nope, Barrow isn't a day trip.

Archived