Will carbon tax affect the price of cruising

Economics is not one of my strong points so I apologise if this seems a stupid question.

Does anyone think that the new carbon tax will affect the price of cruising in Australia?

Regards Elaine.

Economics is not one of my strong points so I apologise if this seems a stupid question.

Does anyone think that the new carbon tax will affect the price of cruising in Australia?

Regards Elaine.

There are no stupid questions on CC..:)..I suppose we will find out Sunday when they unveil the Carbon Tax??...What I heard bussiness will still have to pay the carbon tax on fuel but the average Australian wont??

There are no stupid questions on CC..:)..I suppose we will find out Sunday when they unveil the Carbon Tax??...What I heard bussiness will still have to pay the carbon tax on fuel but the average Australian wont??

Business, including cruise companies, always pass on any extra costs to the consumer, so yes we average people will pay.

If the other mob get re-elected they have the same tax, except the cost is to come out of revenue, so the average person still pays.:)

One thing this carbon tax is guaranteed to do is slow the economy right down, as it already has. Businesses are really hurting, as people aren't spending money because of what Gillard (who lied said there wouldn't be a carbon tax before the election), Wong & Brown want us to have.

As SD said, have to wait until Sunday (or after, for the indepth analysis).

Personal speculation is that I doubt it, or at least much of it. I suspect, like the GST - also the subject of a "lie" if you want to label things instead of discuss their rationale, but I digress - that it will exclude international travel. Domestic cruises are a bit more uncertain, so it's one of those things that come down to the detail.

As for business hurting, equally they got a big confidence boost which other countries didn't during the GFC thanks to the current government. And the reason our cruise prices aren't at the doldrums they are elsewhere is thanks to our economy, so pretty happy with how things have gone so far.

And with the scary lot we will go back to the dark ages. No coal = no power etc etc. Wind and solar will not be as reliable. We will pay in one way or another, whatever happens - they all break promises. That's one of the things I love about cruising - we can get away from politics. :rolleyes:

Anyone wanna hedge bets at how many points the ASX will drop by Friday? :D

Likely up (if that were the only reason), as the uncertainty would be reduced.

It was funny how some mining execs were complaining about the negative effect of a mining resource charge, at the same time as their share price was going up, and the naysayers themselves were buying! :D

One thing this carbon tax is guaranteed to do is slow the economy right down, as it already has. Businesses are really hurting, as people aren't spending money because of what Gillard (who lied said there wouldn't be a carbon tax before the election), Wong & Brown want us to have.

Get over it. Politicians lie - that's hardly headline news, it's almost the equivalent of saying "person breathes in and out".

Q: How can you tell when a politician is lieing?

A: Their lips are moving.

Carbon tax is the biggest scam,

ever introduced .

Folk in our valley, have , and are, planting trees like crazy.

This means that they can go out,buy gas guzzling V8 cars,

have as much fun in them as they want,

then claim back the tax credits,for the trees they have planted,

and they drive for free.

ever introduced .

and they drive for free.

I think you've been talking to my DH. :)

ever introduced .

and they drive for free.

People rort everything. Hardly makes Centrelink a scam, GST a scam, pension payments a scam... It just says more about the individual.

A can of worms has certainly been opened. Are the "500 companies" to be taxed Australian Companies and if so are Cruise Companies registered overseas classified as Australian Companies?

Is a High Court challenge likely from any or all of the "500" along Restriction of

Trade" lines compared with the the vast majority of Companies not being taxed. This could be in contravention of the Australian Constitution.

The Western Australian Government is contemplating a High Court Challenge against the Mining Tax and interference with Royalties.

The next eighteen months should be interesting.

John

The vast sums of money mining companies are raking in from resources is causing issues for the rest of the economy. For example, the income it is bringing is inflating the value of the dollar meaning people buy more overseas, including cruises. That's going to reduce local spending. Then the continual harping of the opposition is lowering confidence causing people to spend less and save more of what would otherwise be spent, damaging local businesses more.

As for the carbon tax, it's designed to encourage healthier alternatives for the future. Many people only think short term - particularly corporates who have little reason to think long term - so this balances things slightly better.

The vast sums of money mining companies are raking in from resources is causing issues for the rest of the economy. For example, the income it is bringing is inflating the value of the dollar meaning people buy more overseas, including cruises. That's going to reduce local spending. Then the continual harping of the opposition is lowering confidence causing people to spend less and save more of what would otherwise be spent, damaging local businesses more.

As for the carbon tax, it's designed to encourage healthier alternatives for the future. Many people only think short term - particularly corporates who have little reason to think long term - so this balances things slightly better.

Some very valid points here.

I'm with you on this one.:)

As SD said, have to wait until Sunday (or after, for the indepth analysis).

Personal speculation is that I doubt it, or at least much of it. I suspect, like the GST - also the subject of a "lie" if you want to label things instead of discuss their rationale, but I digress - that it will exclude international travel. Domestic cruises are a bit more uncertain, so it's one of those things that come down to the detail.

As for business hurting, equally they got a big confidence boost which other countries didn't during the GFC thanks to the current government. And the reason our cruise prices aren't at the doldrums they are elsewhere is thanks to our economy, so pretty happy with how things have gone so far.

Have to agree with you on that. I love it how no one mentions that a number of US States have effectively ETS operating and have for a while. The sulphur dioxide schemes in the US about 10 - 15 years ago.

Europe has had one for three years, NZ now has one. UK have recently made a commitment to reducing GHG's by up to 50% over 20 years or something

I really just want to see what happens to all these AM radio presenters and certain public figures who keep carrying on like the world is going to end or stop rotating. You need only look international and actually do some research to see that it is NOT the end of the world, life will go on.

Also, I guess ultimately what is behind these schemes is an attempt to correct/fix a failed (but yet somehow still an "efficient market"?) market to come up with cleaner and more sustainable sources of energy.

Having spent time at Uni completing reports, etc in to this once you actually look in to the details and everything you will be a lot more at ease. You also have wide support in the business community as follows:

Paul Brennan, Head of Economics, Citigroup Global Markets, Australia

Chris Caton, Chief Economist, BT Financial Group

Besa Deda, Chief Economist, St George

Saul Eslake, Director of the Productivity Growth Program, Grattan Institute, and former Chief Economist ANZ from 1995 to 2009.

Bill Evans, Chief Economist, Westpac

Joshua Gans, Professor of Management, Melbourne Business School

Richard Gibbs, Global Head of Economics and Chief Economist, Macquarie Bank Limited

Stephen Grenville, visiting fellow, Lowy Institute for International Policy

Stephen Halmarick, Chairman Australian Business Economists

John Hewson, Economist and Former Leader of the Liberal party and the Federal Opposition

Raja Junankar, Professorial Visiting Fellow, School of Economics University of New South Wales and Emeritus Professor University of Western Sydney

Geoff Weir, Director, Financial Sector Services

Glenn Withers, Chief Executive, Universities Australia

It is not the end of the world and everything will be fine :)

Get over it. Politicians lie - that's hardly headline news, it's almost the equivalent of saying "person breathes in and out".

Q: How can you tell when a politician is lieing?

A: Their lips are moving.

No I won't get over it because they are destroying our country. They have no idea on how to run this country. look what they did to the cattle industry.

All I can say is bring on the next election!

Things aren't as healthy here the Politians are trying to make out. Many little businesses are already closing down around here.

I can only see that this stupid Carbon Tax will only make things worse.

Jilly:)

We are on holidays on the Sunshine Coast, it is quiet up here, so many shops and businesses closed. And there is not the people around as there normally is during the school holidays.

I was talking to a shop keeper yesterday in Sunshine Plaza and she had 40% of most stock, to try and make some income. She said it is the quietest she has ever seen it up here. She said it was the first time she ever reduced stock soooo much!

We are on holidays on the Sunshine Coast, it is quiet up here, so many shops and businesses closed. And there is not the people around as there normally is during the school holidays.

I was talking to a shop keeper yesterday in Sunshine Plaza and she had 40% of most stock, to try and make some income. She said it is the quietest she has ever seen it up here. She said it was the first time she ever reduced stock soooo much!

Thats very interesting. We are hearing the same sort of comments about the Gold Coast too.

Perhaps everyone is staying home, paying off their huge mortgages to the banks so they dont lose their houses:eek:

Thats very interesting. We are hearing the same sort of comments about the Gold Coast too.

Perhaps everyone is staying home, paying off their huge mortgages to the banks so they dont lose their houses:eek:

We don't have a mortgage, but are wary of spending, because of the enormous electricity, water, and petrol price rises in Qld. The trouble is I don't believe any politicians of present times are capable of fixing things. :mad:

I think I'll just stowaway on a cruise ship and bury my head in the sand!!!! (Come to think of it that would be hard to do on a ship! :D)

Archived