Money in Grand Cayman?

BIG_Steve

Yes, the businesses in Grand Cayman will accept US money. Grand Cayman has a high standard of living, very much like the US. It is the banking capitol of the Caribbean. Enron had a lot of bank accounts in Grand Cayman.

Walking around Grand Cayman is like walking around the US. You will not find street vendors coming up to you to try and sell you something. The business owners do not stand outside their business and try and drag you in. You will not find any children on the street corner selling gum.

I have always used credit cards when in Grand Cayman, so I can't say what change you will get back. I've been to Grand Cayman four times (August 2004, June 2007, February 2008 & June 2011).

Grand Cayman is one of our favorite ports for the reasons above. It's absolutely littered with banks where some of the ports are littered with..well, just about any other kind of litter. It's safe, clean, and everything from the taxis to the submarines to the businesses is much more like the U.S. As an example, we did the submarine ride in Cozumel one year and it looked and felt like a rusty tin can. We were a little spooked and reluctant to repeat this "adventure." When we were in Grand Cayman, one of our group wanted to go on the submarine ride. It was new, clean, the crew was very professional (in Cozumel, the driver rammed into a coral reef by accident) and we walked the streets with no worries. It's a great island with wonderful restaurants and shops, but still has the caribbean flavor.

Thanks. I probably should open another thread for an additional question, but I'll try here first.

Our cruise includes Cozumel, Ocho Rios and Grand Caymen. In at least 1 port, we just want to walk around, shop and really do nothing much. From your description, I can't tell if GC is a good or bad choice for that. What do you think?

Thanks. I probably should open another thread for an additional question, but I'll try here first.

Our cruise includes Cozumel, Ocho Rios and Grand Caymen. In at least 1 port, we just want to walk around, shop and really do nothing much. From your description, I can't tell if GC is a good or bad choice for that. What do you think?

Grand Cayman is a good port to just walk around, shop and have a drink. The main town is right there when you get off the tender. There isn't that much to see in other areas of the island and unless, you want to go snorkeling or out to Stingray City this may be the port to do your walking around. However, the shopping is expensive in GC. I wouldn't suggest that at all in Ocho Rios. It was my least favorite Caribbean port to walk around and shop in. I would suggest doing a tour through your cruise line for this port.

Don't do it in Ocho Rios. The street vendors and tour operators are very aggressive. I walked around Cozumel once. Not real interesting.

The only problem with just walking around Grand Cayman is that you will be missing out on some of the best shore excursions.

a little warning

the prices you see in Cayman will usually be in CI - Cayman Island dollars. $CI is fixed to $US where in round numbers $1 CI is $1.20 US .... or in other words your $10 US is only $8 CI (she may look 20 but she's 16 CI ......)

Keep this in mind. Prices are high to begin with but if you fail to figure in the conversion they can really cause a gasp - many discover this when they get the bar bill . . . .

here's a sample menu from a place I like a lot .. My Bar @ Sunset House

Snack_Menu_2010.jpg

http://sunsethouse.com/bar.php

Speaking with friends yesterday they did find that they were able to barter prices in Grand Cayman, specifically in the jewelry stores...just wanted to share

You can barter prices anywhere - including in the US.

Archived