Uniworld hotel

AtMaui

A friend and I are taking Uniworld's Rhine Discovery on 7/25, with a 4 day extension in Lucerne. The hotel that Uniworld uses is the Romantik Wilden Mann, which is not air conditioned. Has anyone stayed there in August? Is it comfortable? I've stayed at the Hilton in Prague and the Tierra Park Atlantic in Lisbon on other Uniworld trips and they were very nice hotels, with A/C. I'm hoping that being on a lake, in the mountains, will mean the temps will be lower than I've experienced in other spots in Europe in August.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated!

A friend and I are taking Uniworld's Rhine Discovery on 7/25, with a 4 day extension in Lucerne. The hotel that Uniworld uses is the Romantik Wilden Mann, which is not air conditioned. Has anyone stayed there in August? Is it comfortable? I've stayed at the Hilton in Prague and the Tierra Park Atlantic in Lisbon on other Uniworld trips and they were very nice hotels, with A/C. I'm hoping that being on a lake, in the mountains, will mean the temps will be lower than I've experienced in other spots in Europe in August.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated!

If your used to AC you will be hot. We have spent some very hot days and nights in May so you can expect the same or worse.:mad:

Hi. Enjoy your trip with Uniworld, we did this cruise in September of 2009 and really enjoyed it. That said, we too did the post cruise stay in Lucerne, don't recall the hotel we stayed in but I believe there was AC. For the price you're paying for the extension I can't imagine they'd put you in a hotel without AC, have you thought about contacting Uniworld and voicing your opinions regarding their hotel choice? I did a google search for the hotel itself, while it looks nice the first or second review mentioned street noise at night due to the fact that you had to leave the windows open at night since there was no AC and it was too warm/hot to sleep with them closed. Maybe take a look at the reviews, make your own decision and get in touch with Uniworld. Lucerne is a beautiful city. Have a great time.

Susan

We stayed there in May of 2010 for one night and really liked the hotel. However, it was not hot at that time of year (cold as a matter of fact) so unfortunately cannot comment on the AC (the heat did work well). However, I normally only book hotels with AC, so am a bit surprised that it is not ACed. Can you verify this directly with the hotel? They do have a web site and do respond to e-mails, with excellent English.

The Wilden Mann is composed of a series of old Swiss buildings, cobbled together to make up the hotel. This is part of its charm. All the rooms are different - different sizes and different decors. It's not at all like staying at a Hilton for example where you can't tell one room from the next. The rooms are good sized (we had a "mid-category" room). The decor in our room was a little "worn" but I guess you're going to get that with antique furniture. The bathroom was beautiful and modern. All marble with all the amenities you could ask for - very lux. The lobby was small, the elevator was tiny, and the hallways a bit of a rabbit warren. However, the location is fabulous! You're within a block of everything. As far as traffic noise, I'm not understanding that as the hotel is not on any kind of major road. It's on more-or-less a pedestrian zone area with only premission to drive into the hotel to drop off or pick up, so I can't see being bothered by traffic noise unless you're a very light sleeper.

I can also recommend the restaurant next door and connected to the lobby - outstanding food, the best we had in Switzerland and we spent a week in the country. The fried potato pancakes were to die for and the weiner schnitzel was tender on the inside and crispy on the outside - perfect.

I would stay there again, but can understand your concern about the AC. The bigger more modern hotels with AC for sure are a much farther way from the old town city center, so that's the trade off I suppose.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all your comments. In reading the comments on various travel sites, yes, there is no A/C, and there will be noise if the windows are open. But I live in the middle of Chicago and am used to city noise.

My TA called Uniworld to confirm about the A/C and was told they've never had complaints.

So we will just try to be OK with whatever we get!

Archived