September sailing vs Summer sailing

myangel

We are sailing on the Sapphire September 18th, the very last week of the season. What are the differences between sailing in the summer vs September? Are all the tours still going strong? What about wildlife, fishing etc.

We have been in Alaska both September and in July and the excursions for the most part are still going strong. Going in Sept you get the beautiful fall colors. Absolutely fantastic. Really no matter what month you go on Alaska is still beautiful anytime. Have fun.

Marilyn

I have to disagree, there are more negatives sailing so late in Alaska. Last 2 seasons have been exceptional but NOT the norm. No way to predict certainly. But on average going the last week has an average of 3 days of rain, temps 40-50's, I find the fall colors lacking, best were on the Klondike Highway into the Yukon, little color elsewhere. Also will be dusk by 7pm so plan your shore time carefully. You do have a chance of Northern Lights - see if you can get a "bridge call" if out. But most important if interested is to find a DARK spot on the ship- few have them, look for a lower front deck under the bridge perhaps. And plan on being out 1am or so for several hours if needed. :) I used to do these sailings as my second yearly trip- it was always better earlier, and the last sailings were significant bargains- no longer the case however. wildlife requires tours, bear watching tours are mostly over, but whale watching still excellent.

As BQ said sailing in Sept. is iffy but we did go into the Yukon and the colors there were gorgeous. By the way we were the 1st part of Sept. so maybe later on it may not be enjoyable. I always say, pack your umbrella, raincoat, just be prepared.

Marilyn

As BQ said sailing in Sept. is iffy but we did go into the Yukon and the colors there were gorgeous. By the way we were the 1st part of Sept. so maybe later on it may not be enjoyable. I always say, pack your umbrella, raincoat, just be prepared.

Marilyn

Definately agree- my Klondike Highway reference was to the beautiful fall colors. Only are I saw them. :) But I am spoiled with breath taking excellent colors of the Adirondacks-less than an hour away. :)

Archived