OH NO.... The In-laws are coming!!!!

JPTexan82

What a sweet & classy thing to say, I'd wager she feels the same about you.:)

IT's a joke , actually like I wrote in another post we actually do get along with each other in small doses .

Even her own daughters can take so much of her.

Hell her 2 husbands only hung around 10 years or so.

She just isn't built for long term *LOL*

I don't have any inlaws..YET! In 86 days I will. Last year my fiance and I went on a cruise with my family. We have invited another couple to go with us on our honeymoon. He told me that I could invite my mom. I said no. You should have heard my mom when I told her that he said that. HOWEVER..I did sit down at a picnic just in time to hear my fiance inviting his parents to go with us on our honeymoon..Luckily they said no. Yes I know that it is a big ship..and there is so much to do and you don't have to spend all of your time with them..that is why I wanted to ask our friends..we can do things with them if we want to..but don't have to..anyway..I have a feeling that even the largest class of ship would feel like a row boat if his mom were with us. His step dad I would be fine with..but his mom :eek:

Traveling with your In-Laws is not as bad as you may think.

My parents and In Laws were on our Honeymoon Cruise two years ago.

They didn't bother us one bit.

( And Oh by the way my parents were 4 doors down from us.)

May she rest in peace.

She was bipolar.

When she went off her meds, I was the object of her venom.

Ever have the police demand to see your sleeping 9 year old at 4AM????

She called 911. Pretended to be a child, and said "my daddy is beating me". They actualy woke him up and asked him questions.

All old memories.

The other evening my DstepD and her husband complained that we never travel with them. Of course we don't. She is a teacher and can only travel peak times. Arrghh!

Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That actually makes me want to go out get my MIL a dozen roses and actually call her Mom :)

How many of yall travel with the Inlaws???
Never, ever, EVER vacation with family. Friends, neighbors, coworkers too for that matter.

The OP nailed it. It's *VACATION* and I just do not want to see *ANY* of them.

OP: Hopefully you did not book ES, so you can cancel.

DH and I always travel with my parent's---cruise or land vacations. There has been very few things we haven't taken them along with us on---our trip to St. Thomas and our honeymoon---that would be about it. We didn't travel much growing up so we love the whole family feel of going with everyone. We don't like traveling alone though---we find it boring :rolleyes:. Now that we have kids it's an extra perk to bring my parent's because we have two more sets of eyes and hands on the kids. I've asked my husband over and over to tell me the truth about taking my parent's and everytime I ask he tells me he wouldn't have it any other way...

Due to a long ago divorce, my MIL has been single for over 25 years. She travels with us often. But it has been great. She is a great traveler and never a problem. To offset her single cruiser rate, we pay her the amount we would have paid for my young daughter (3rd person rate). She gets a savings AND we get to have my little one in the 2nd room :o and grandmother and granddaughter get extra time together!

Also having adjoining cabins and balconies really give us alot of room!

Wow sure glad our kids seem to like to spend time with us.

Same here! We are best friends with daughter and son-in-law. they can't wait for us to visit and always beg us to stay longer! We love to cruise together.

pat

I've been trying to convince my in-laws to book! They've never been on a cruise either, and I know they would have a blast. :p

My family is going next October..I think we will ask his parents to go with us. His mom is much easier for me to deal with when my mom is around.

I have went on several vacations with in-laws and the only one I ever enjoyed was on a cruise. On land vacations it would seem like we all would do things as a group. Like at amusement parks we spent more time trying to decide which attraction to go see next. On the cruise everyone just did what they wanted to do....sometimes we would do things as a group and sometimes we would not. If there was a show we wanted to see whoever was ready and wanted to go went.....If you wanted to do something else, do your own thing. The only thing we did as a group was to eat dinner together everynight.

Btw......My mother-in-law lived with my wife and I for approx. 25 years because her son and daughter-in-law had kicked her out. She was not an easy woman to get along with. My advice to anyone is to never let in-laws move in with you. I know in some cases it is the only solution, but it is very demanding. Due to my mother-in-law's declining health, we finally had to put her in a nursing home in 2005.......my wife was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2006 and passed away in 2007 at the age of 51......her mother passed away in 2008.

I never, ever give relatives enough details about a vacation we are taking to book it themselves until the week we are leaving (such as flight info, hotel names, cruise details, etc), unless we want them to go with us.

That being said, I would cruise/vacation with my in-laws but not with my own parents.

Sorry to hear about your wife. That's too young. I lost my Mother in 2005 to Leukemia. She was only 59. Too young as well. My husband had been trying to plan a family cruise before she got sick and she was all for it. He actually wanted her and my whole family to go.

That being said, NOT ALL IN-LAWS ARE CREATED EQUAL. We took a cruise in 2007 with his parents and it was the most uncomfortable, awkward cruise I have ever been on. The only parts that I enjoyed were the parts where they weren't present. Sad, but true. They are just very hateful, rude people who have worked overtime to try to break up our marriage for 12 years now and would do so again if given the opportunity. One time, we went to Las Vegas for our anniversary which happens to be the day before theirs. I literally cried when I found out they'd be in Vegas at the same time. It was our 10th anniversary and I didn't want to spend it with my Monster-In Laws. I sucked it up for my husbands sake and we had lunch with them one day and drinks another evening of our 3 day trip. Keeping my fingers crossed that there are only visits (they live in another state) to see them or vice versa from now on and not vacations. But I'd suck it up for my husband if I had to because I respect that they are his parents even though they treat me poorly. Please note that I have never ever treated them poorly and it hurts a lot that they feel the way the do about me despite this.

For those of you with the good in-laws, count your blessings. It's actually refreshing to know that I'm not alone in the relationship that I don't have with my in-laws.

:eek: How horrible some of these comments!! Or maybe just unfortunate. I have traveled with my inlaws before and I enjoy them immensely. My husband and I would love to take another cruise with them.

What a sweet & classy thing to say, I'd wager she feels the same about you.:)

For those of you who are "shocked" at the comments, my guess is you've always had wonderful in laws. I could give you details but suffice it to say, I have endured really BAD in laws in the past (current spouse is the exception). I'd say, unless you have walked in the moccasins of someone who has had a bad experience with in laws, you should probably try and imagine what the worse case scenario would be, put yourself in that place, and then wonder if you'd want to travel with those people.

For those of you who are "shocked" at the comments, my guess is you've always had wonderful in laws. I could give you details but suffice it to say, I have endured really BAD in laws in the past (current spouse is the exception). I'd say, unless you have walked in the moccasins of someone who has had a bad experience with in laws, you should probably try and imagine what the worse case scenario would be, put yourself in that place, and then wonder if you'd want to travel with those people.

Thank you and very well said :)

Not everyone grew up in The Brady Bunch and Partridge Family households .

We have been on 2 cruises (out of 33) with my MIL. She wanted to do Alaska and then Canada. She was nice enough to pay for our cabin (Cat 11)and airfare on the cruises we took with her. I am very fortunate as my MIL is a very nice lady and I wish she was still able to cruise with us on occasion. She is almost 89 now and is not up to long trips anymore.

My MIL is a true Southern Baptist and does not believe in drinking, dancing or gambling. Even tho she is aware we do all three, I have enough respect for her not to do any of them in front of her. We did our own thing during the day but always had dinner with her at night.

It's been 10 years since we last cruised with her but we still have a lot of great memories of our cruises with my MIL.

Sorry to hear about your wife. That's too young. I lost my Mother in 2005 to Leukemia. She was only 59. Too young as well. My husband had been trying to plan a family cruise before she got sick and she was all for it. He actually wanted her and my whole family to go.

That being said, NOT ALL IN-LAWS ARE CREATED EQUAL. We took a cruise in 2007 with his parents and it was the most uncomfortable, awkward cruise I have ever been on. The only parts that I enjoyed were the parts where they weren't present. Sad, but true. They are just very hateful, rude people who have worked overtime to try to break up our marriage for 12 years now and would do so again if given the opportunity. One time, we went to Las Vegas for our anniversary which happens to be the day before theirs. I literally cried when I found out they'd be in Vegas at the same time. It was our 10th anniversary and I didn't want to spend it with my Monster-In Laws. I sucked it up for my husbands sake and we had lunch with them one day and drinks another evening of our 3 day trip. Keeping my fingers crossed that there are only visits (they live in another state) to see them or vice versa from now on and not vacations. But I'd suck it up for my husband if I had to because I respect that they are his parents even though they treat me poorly. Please note that I have never ever treated them poorly and it hurts a lot that they feel the way the do about me despite this.

For those of you with the good in-laws, count your blessings. It's actually refreshing to know that I'm not alone in the relationship that I don't have with my in-laws.

Very sorry for what you went through ....been there done that . The sky used to actually get a little darker when my former mother in law would come around.

As my own mother (who EVERYONE loves ) always says "It ain't always roses"

Our Christmas cruise this year will be our second cruise with my in-laws. As much as I dont want to as they live in England and we live in Michigan now I would rather do and 8 day cruise with them than them be here for 2-3 weeks in the middle of a Michigan winter - talk about trapped!!!!

I do not get on at all well with my in-laws but appreciate that my children need to spend time with them especially as they are the only grandparents they have ever known. My parents died when I was 20 but they both loved my now hubby to bits and thought the sun shone out of his ***, wish I could have taken them on a cruise.

We made the mistake of including my in-laws on our Disney World trip this past October. And while our relationship was great up until that point, they are no longer speaking to me and vice versa. There was a reason we moved 1800 miles away from family when we married.

We took both my mother and my mother in law on several vacations. It was wonderful for all of us. My kids really loved being with their grandmas on those trips. DH and I also enjoyed being around the two, who got along wonderfully.

I do have to say my thoughts on MILs changed a bit when I became that dreaded MIL, two years ago. It is a lot different than I thought. :eek:

Each year we offer to pay for a vacation with the two who are married and their darling spouses, the one and his girlfriend, and our youngest who just graduated high school. So far, everyone has taken us up on it for the past three years. Next year we plan to take everyone on our 35 wedding anniversary cruise. Our BFs go with us..our kids have grown up together and they are great friends. We eat dinner together, meet up for shows, take most excursions together, and try to respect each other's desires.

I hope I get to take my grandkids with me someday.

Archived