Still Full From Veendam to Bermuda 6/26/11 Sailing!

coka

Thanks for answering

There is unfortunately no Island tour excursion listed on any of the other days. I was hoping for one too. I forgot you had mentioned that you could sightsee in St George and meet the ship in Hamilton. So used to the usual "miss the ship, fly to the next port" deal. Although I don't know if I want to miss the sailaway. Well I do have options , so I'll think of something.:D

I will look out for Times Square Tina the next time I am in midtown. LOL

Denise

Best way to tour Bermuda is a taxi tour. You can do that any day. Lot better than any ship excursion tour.

If you have never sailed into Hamilton it is worth making it back to the ship for that.

Thank you for the very nice replies, everyone!:D

Sevenseasnomad, your experience is another example of how friendly the people of Bermuda are! I do not know know why I did not go into the second church nearby. I think it had something to do with window shopping:o

Lenquixote66, our weather for the week was probably 80% sunny, 80 degrees average in Bermuda, about 75 while at sea. The very few times it rained it was over quickly. The times there were clouds...were welcomed!

I went to weather dot com and checked out the ten day forecast before I left.

DKNYC, I agree with Charles that sailing into Hamilton is indeed a highlight not to be missed. The year I did the St. George Bermuda island tour I was sailing the NCL Majesty solo so it worked out very well for me. I did not ask how much an island tour by cab would be. It makes sense to see if a cab will do it for less than the cost of ship tour times the number of people who want to do it. Oh, Times Square Tina is right next to the folks who draw caricatures.

coka

Very fun and informative review. Thanks!

We went on Veendam last year, and took NCL Gem this year. We strongly preferred Veendam's experience, and that will be our first choice in the future. Everything you say is true, and much of it we missed on NCL.

Someone here asking about shore excursion, I warn you away from ship sold bus tour of the island. We had a bad experience there, of being stuffed in a packed full-size public bus, no dedicated tour guide, only the bus driver giving amateur commentary of the island, and everywhere we stopped for quick photo-op was basic "free". And it was really expensive! For 3 of us we could have spend as much on a personalized taxi tour and most likely a better guide. Now I think getting a book, and read CC (and other web sources), buy Bermuda public transportation pass, self-guided tour of the Island is the best, cheaper, way to go anyway.

Hey Coka-

Thanks for sharing your cruise with us. What a wonderful review. Agreed that sailing into Hamilton is a fabulous experience! I haven't cruised to Bermuda in a number of years....I started way back in 1991, when the ships were small and spent a day docked in St. George and then sailed over to Hamilton. Nice to see it through your eyes. :)

Kathy

Have fun on your upcoming cruises! coka

Also, Quick question regarding formal nights...are you saying that the woman chose not to be glitzy at all? I love wearing a gown!

Hi drefinnej15,

On this sailing I would say most women wore a cocktail dress, dress pants and nice top, or a skirt and top. I saw a few gowns but keep in mind I ate in the downstairs open seating dining room. While walking around later, I still did not see very many gowns. In my opinion, I thought the guys were more tailored in their dark suits/ties and women were more of a mish-mash of options (hence the statement the woman got away with more than the men could)! Everyone looked nice and I did not see anything the adults should be embarassed about. On the two formal nights I wore cocktail dresses, dress sandals, and spent a little more time on my hair and accessories. The other nights I wore black dress pants and resort casual tops, cotton short sleeved or sleeveless dresses, matching skirt and top (that looked like one dress), and another skirt and top. I tended to pick looks that can be transformed from work, to church, and then to the beach. Nothing like a good cotton summer dress to accessorize up or down or to wear as pajamas...!!! But I did not break any of HAL's dress code...:D

So the women looked nice but overall not the glitz that I remember years ago when people went all out for formal (on Carnival, RCCL, NCL, or Princess). This was my second HAL cruise and I admit to not seeing a major difference in the lines regarding formality at this point with exception to seeing more gowns on the Eurodam in February...but not the number I thought there would be.

coka

• 1 month later...

It's great to hear you had such a great time. Makes me even more excited for our upcoming cruise on the Veendam on Sept. 4.

I will definitely be using your suggestions and info to make the most of my cruise.

Thanks again! Greatly appreciate your posts!

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Jimbri,

I am just seeing this response. We have been on three more cruises since but we are still talking about the Veendam's food! Have a great trip and I hope you enjoy her as much as we did.

coka

Archived