Still Full From Veendam to Bermuda 6/26/11 Sailing!

coka

Jimswims, I keep looking and I still have the ability to still take that week off. Ocean, are you interested? I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Kent, I think yes, that Clare is from South Africa...she had the accent. I hope she is on your sailing!

coka

Oh Coka I wish I would ..... but the earliest I be able to cruise in our New Year's Day cruise on the Pearl.

OceanDreams

Loved part 2 as much as the first!!:D

You are a wonderful & entertaining writer.

The "secret location" on Deck 14 .... is this the Oasis area? Just peeked at Veendam deck plans & thought I may head up there too.

Thanks!

I never saw that area! It looks like a great spot too. I was referring to deck 11 all the way forward. When looking at the deck plan there is a blank spot in front of the gym/greenhouse spa and salon. ;)

coka

That would be great! We could successfully complete the pool plunge :D!

I have always liked St. Catherine's Beach over Tobacco Bay. Tobacco Bay is way to small and always crowded.

You now know my secret to Horseshoe Bay. We love the beach and enjoy going over to the left as far as we can to enjoy the quite areas of this paradise!

Tobacco can have good snorkeling though. I totally agree about going to the far left. Next time I will look for the paths to the other beaches!

coka

Hamilton Harbor Nights Festival

On Wednesday evenings from 6-10pm Front Street closes to vehicle traffic so the Harbor Nights Festival can take place. On this evening, tourists and locals come out for an evening of good clean fun. All ages included. To be right there on the Veendam was another highlight for me. No ferry, no bus, we just walked off the ship and we were amidst the festivities. One could even sit on the Veedam’s promenade deck and take it all in from there.

We ventured off the ship around 7:15pm after the waiters sang the happy anniversary to us in the dining room and delivered us a yummy cake. We were not taking the cake back to our room as everyone else writes in their reviews. We ate it immediately so we could walk it off on Front Street. I took better notice of what really happens on Front Street this year than I did last year when I only stayed an hour.

As Mr. coka and I strolled leisurely down the street, we saw so many offerings that I was not aware of before. Harbor Nights is fun for children as they could get their faces painted, they could jump around in the blow up jumping rooms, and even stand in a machine that blows confetti all about. The teenagers were having fun at the ’try- to- run- the- furthest- and- pin- a- ribbon- on- something- before-the-big-bungee-thing-attached-to-their-waist-flung-them-backwards-into-a-padded-area. We watched this the longest as it was very funny. The drinkers were having a good time in any of the bars that were overlooking the street area and the really rich people were dining in the restaurants overlooking the street area two stories higher. The shoppers were either inside the stores or outside at each of the vendor tables who were hoping to sell their artwork, books, jewelry, food, and other handcraft items. The dancers were enjoying the band at the big stage as they danced to songs that groups can take part in. The elderly and everyone else enjoyed the marching band, the bagpipes, and the orchestra music.

Mr. coka and I just enjoyed walking along hand in hand, talking to each other, and we both felt great in what we were wearing. I am sure those who passed us were thinking wow, what a great couple, and look at them, they are so in love. I am sure even some men had to think wow, why didn’t I think of wearing that as Mr. coka just looked so frigging cool in the outfit I bought in South Beach many years ago. He told me he would cruise again when he could fit in it and what a nice anniversary present he gave me which was the luxury of seeing him in it. Even the guys at the dining room entrance commented how good he looked. I thank the Cubans for the style. So okay, we were not walking a shoreline as imagined in my Eurodam review, but walking Front Street with my guy seemed to just supersede that.

Victoria, My Alter Ego From the NCL Gem

We rested on a park bench far enough away from the festivities on Front Street. A 20 year old named Victoria asked to sit with us as her feet hurt. After finding out she was on her very first cruise on the Norwegian Gem, I began to ask her if she was having a nice time on her. She was and I answered any questions about the ship she had and made suggestions for her to enjoy it more. Our conversation became more intimate when Victoria proclaimed at some point she would like to cruise alone or with friends. Studying to be an actress, she wanted to see the world, to dance the nights away, and to take in as much as life had to offer her. Oh my goodness, she was a Clara Bow It Girl In the Making and here she was sailing the Norwegian Gem, the It Girl Ship. So I told her some stories, she listened intently to our advice, and she left. I have no doubt Victoria paid a visit to the good luck mermaid in the Gem’s bridge viewing room. Oh yeah, and while she was there, I hope she put in a plug for the mermaid to lower the price so I can sail her again soon! Who knows. Times Square Tina said something really good is going to happen in August…

The Lido Pool Party

The party continued onboard the Veendam after the Hamilton Harbor Night Festival ended. They had music, dancing, games, and a buffet full of food. Again, I could not believe the amount of food available, the amount of entertainment, and gatherings offered for such a small ship in today‘s standards.

The Church on The Hill and The Hamilton Nightlife

I think a missed opportunity for any cruise line or for a Bermudian is to take tourists on church tours. Every other building in Bermuda is a church and there is some money to be had by taking tourists to them during non church hours. A history, an explanation, and comments about the architecture are fascinating no matter the faith, so I tend to do it wherever I travel. On one of my early morning walks through the streets of Hamilton before the stores opened and the crowds appeared, I did visit the church on the hill you can see from the Veendam and enjoyed it.

So I always heard there is no night life in Bermuda. I think that has changed over time as I also sought out where to go if someone wanted more nightlife than what the ship offered. Flannagan’s Irish Bar, right on Front Street looked like a good place to hang out. For dancing, one can go to the Hog Penny on a side street which had live rock and roll until 1am. The Café Cairo not only had Mediterranean food, but has a DJ playing until 3am. Crew and passengers of the Veendam get 20% off drinks there. If hookahs are your thing while on holiday, then you can smoke out of one there if you wanted to. Not knowing anything nor experiencing any of them, I personally would have selected (or ended up with) the Moon Nightclub which sounded like a trance/techno dance club to me. I do not care my age. I plan on being on being the little old lady out of place on a bar dance floor getting her exercise. So although I did not get there this time, there is always a next!

So that is it! I have crossed off all my notes and it is Sunday night. Well, there are some things I left out, but those can be read when the book gets published. Hahaha. Thank you for taking the time to read through this and if you still have any questions, then please feel free to ask away. I will check during the next few evenings. Now that I have two HAL cruises completed, I hope to be a little more active on the boards in feeling confident to answer some of the ones asked.

coka :D

Hi Coka

Great review and Happy Anniversary to you and Mr Coka. I was especially interested since I will be on Veendam labor day week . I will be sure to be outside for both sailaways. Maybe I will try to check out the Harbor Nights Festival as well, even though I may have to skip dinner to do so.

I am thinking of doing the Island Tour in St George, but I also would like to visit some Historic stuff in St George as well . Maybe I will do the tour and then go back on another day. Any thoughts...?

Denise

The Oasis is not near the bow; it is back nearer the stern and you get to it back there. To get to the observation deck on 11 does one go through the spa area or can you use the stairs I see on the diagram??? I have been on the Veendam and on this deck but get confused with other ships.

Sadly the Harbour Nights Festival ends on Oct 8 and we are on the Oct 9 sailing.

On Spring Break many moons ago we stayed at the Elbow Beach Hotel. The only thing I remember about the place was that we had to dress semi-formal for dinner every night and dinner was included in the price. We were totally forbidden by our group leader to rent scooters!! The perfumery was in another building at that time and we all bought passion flower perfume because it was soooo Bermuda!!

The Oasis is not near the bow; it is back nearer the stern and you get to it back there. To get to the observation deck on 11 does one go through the spa area or can you use the stairs I see on the diagram??? I have been on the Veendam and on this deck but get confused with other ships.

The Oasis is the teen area.

Hi Coka

Great review and Happy Anniversary to you and Mr Coka. I was especially interested since I will be on Veendam labor day week . I will be sure to be outside for both sailaways. Maybe I will try to check out the Harbor Nights Festival as well, even though I may have to skip dinner to do so.

I am thinking of doing the Island Tour in St George, but I also would like to visit some Historic stuff in St George as well . Maybe I will do the tour and then go back on another day. Any thoughts...?

Denise

Hi Denise,

We went to dinner early for Harbor Nights. Since the ship is right there, you can head out, go back to dinner, and head out again. A few years I took the Bermuda island tour from St. George and it was the best way to see the island and to see what areas you like best. I am thinking you can do both tour and see historic stuff all in the same day. In the Veendam magazine, they said it was no problem if passengers did not take the last tender back to the ship...but they had to find their own transportation to Hamilton to meet the ship there. I wished there was an island tour offered from Hamilton but I did not see it in the shore excursion brochure. I can double check tonight.

Sadly the Harbour Nights Festival ends on Oct 8 and we are on the Oct 9 sailing.

On Spring Break many moons ago we stayed at the Elbow Beach Hotel. The only thing I remember about the place was that we had to dress semi-formal for dinner every night and dinner was included in the price. We were totally forbidden by our group leader to rent scooters!! The perfumery was in another building at that time and we all bought passion flower perfume because it was soooo Bermuda!!

Then I was there. I saw the teen area and their outside area with the hammocks and jungle-like decor. One gets to deck 11 forward deck by going into the gymnasium and going out the door from the aerobics floor. If you are way up on deck 14, you can see down below from the sides. At first you think it is a closed off area until you see a few people out there.

coka

Sorry you will miss the festival but glad you knew the date it will end. We will be able to enjoy it with our grandchildren. We are on the sailing right before you.:D

Thank you for the review. I'm thinking of doing this cruise with my husband in late Aug or early Sept....and I have a few questions.

1. Age group...I am early 60's....he's mid-70's....will we fit in?

2. We are very casual people...don't like to dress up. We have no problem eating at the buffet...actually prefer it. How are the buffets on this ship...as far as variety and hours open?

3. In your review you mention a few "talks". Are these "talks" to push their products/excursions etc....or actually informative talks?

You'll fit in perfectly. Although there will be people of all ages, you are HAL's primary group.

2. We are very casual people...don't like to dress up. We have no problem eating at the buffet...actually prefer it. How are the buffets on this ship...as far as variety and hours open?

There are set hours for the buffet, and they are kept to closely. Dinner is usually served between 5:15 (or 5:30, I forget) and 8:00 PM. Yes, there is an extensive selection. The menu is posted by late morning, so you can get an idea of what you might want, and plan lunch accordingly.

Thanks for the great review and all the great info. We will ne in cabin 678-is that in the same area as your's? If so, was it noisy? Have 2 children going with us, just want to make sure there will be no engine vibrations to keep them awake.

Thanks for the great review and all the great info. We will ne in cabin 678-is that in the same area as your's? If so, was it noisy? Have 2 children going with us, just want to make sure there will be no engine vibrations to keep them awake.

Hi Knitlady,

Yes, your oceanview cabin is in the same area as my interior 668. It is just across the hall down a few doors. It is a very quiet area and on my sailing experienced no noise or vibration from the ship. Of course on the wavy night, which was Friday, we experienced the ocean movement. I could hear people talking in the hallways as they went to their cabins.

Thank you for the review. I'm thinking of doing this cruise with my husband in late Aug or early Sept....and I have a few questions.

3. In your review you mention a few "talks". Are these "talks" to push their products/excursions etc....or actually informative talks?

Hi Ms Tabbykats, Of course you will fit in. If you are going casual prefer to eat at the buffet, then know you should be just fine. The buffet closes at 8pm but they still serve pizza, room service, late night snacks every evening. Also, they have a few special pool buffets during the evening...Harbor Nights and the Caribbean deck night.

While on this cruise I asked an officer, "So how does HAL make any money?!" One of the very nice things about this ship is that nothing is product pushing or in your face try to sell you something. Of course some things are which is standard expectation, but it was more noticeable on my two HAL sailings that this does not occur as it does on the other mainstream lines. There were very few announcements, the bar waitstaff were present enough if you wanted something, but not every two seconds asking you. I found it all very relaxing and now understand when people are upset about the pushing of things while on a cruise.

The talks are informative and some are selling too (as mentioned above). When you see the magazine onboard delivered to your stateroom, you very easily can tell which ones are actually the informative ones...they tend to be the Explore XXX topics (culture, culinary, wellness and health, and techology). Now if you go to the spa for a seminar or to a gemstone seminar, you will get information as well as a pitch for something offered for sale onboard.

I hope this helps!

Oh, the officer's answer was that they do extremely well!

coka:D

coka

Coka, you're correct about the churches (one on every street corner...well, almost). We received permission to be off the ship our first trip to Bermuda, a RCCL Bermuda cruise from Norfolk, as she was moving over to St. George at 6 a.m. We got up at 5 and were off the ship by 5:15. We wanted to go to Mass at the cathedral, so we waited around until 6:30 or 7 for it to start.

After Mass, the bishop invited us to breakfast with him & his staff. It was the highlight of our time in Bermuda. All they wanted to talk about was American television, while we wanted to hear about their island.

At the Anglican Church, we climbed the stairs to the top of the bell tower. The views of Hamiliton and Bermuda itself are spectacular from that vantage point. Sadly, our pictures didn't do it justice. We're looking forward to returning next week. We have newer cameras that we hope will photograph the scene better.

We are in 680 (right next door) in less than two weeks. Also had 680 two summers ago in Alaska. I had the same concerns. No worries, knitlady, very quiet. You'll only hear noise when the thrusters are operating during maneuvering in port. And since that won't be during sleeping time on this trip, you'll be fine. Enjoy!

Coka, thanks for the great review. Enjoyed it immensely, and glad Veendam is still great. Returning at the end of the month for our third Veendam cruise in as many years!

We are in 680 (right next door) in less than two weeks. Also had 680 two summers ago in Alaska. I had the same concerns. No worries, knitlady, very quiet. You'll only hear noise when the thrusters are operating during maneuvering in port. And since that won't be during sleeping time on this trip, you'll be fine. Enjoy!

Coka, thanks for the great review. Enjoyed it immensely, and glad Veendam is still great. Returning at the end of the month for our third Veendam cruise in as many years![/quote)

Thanks for the info!

Hi Denise,

We went to dinner early for Harbor Nights. Since the ship is right there, you can head out, go back to dinner, and head out again. A few years I took the Bermuda island tour from St. George and it was the best way to see the island and to see what areas you like best. I am thinking you can do both tour and see historic stuff all in the same day. In the Veendam magazine, they said it was no problem if passengers did not take the last tender back to the ship...but they had to find their own transportation to Hamilton to meet the ship there. I wished there was an island tour offered from Hamilton but I did not see it in the shore excursion brochure. I can double check tonight.

coka

Thanks for answering

There is unfortunately no Island tour excursion listed on any of the other days. I was hoping for one too. I forgot you had mentioned that you could sightsee in St George and meet the ship in Hamilton. So used to the usual "miss the ship, fly to the next port" deal. Although I don't know if I want to miss the sailaway. Well I do have options , so I'll think of something.:D

I will look out for Times Square Tina the next time I am in midtown. LOL

Denise

Archived