Skype?

silvercruiser

Magic Jack uses the same compression algorythms as Skype so data usage should be about the same as medium quality skype.

I did a little more playing. Bandwith wise, because Skype is sending and receiving data even when no one is talking, Skype on one step up from the lowest quality uses about 22 times as much bandwith as when I just randomly hit web sites as fast as I can. Youtube, etc uses about 14 times as much.

So, the issue about large photo uploads aside, someone using Skype is effectively tying up enough bandwith for 22 other web surfing users.

I have not used Skype but MagicJack on several ocassions.

I also feel that in the long haul perhaps it is best for Princess to try and accomodate passengers with a larger bandwith to play with.

And of course, the problem is that so many people now have Internet capable devices... and think that their iPhone, iPad, Android phone, Kindle etc. should work the same as when they are on land... not gonna happen on a ship.

Magic Jack uses the same compression algorythms as Skype so data usage should be about the same as medium quality skype.

I did a little more playing. Bandwith wise, because Skype is sending and receiving data even when no one is talking, Skype on one step up from the lowest quality uses about 22 times as much bandwith as when I just randomly hit web sites as fast as I can. Youtube, etc uses about 14 times as much.

So, the issue about large photo uploads aside, someone using Skype is effectively tying up enough bandwith for 22 other web surfing users.

Don't stop there :rolleyes:

I've seen people using You Tube etc. And lets not forget all the rotating ads, graphic intensive pages, java, shockwave ad infinitum on most every web page.

There is no single cause, nor simple remedy.

That's why I used a selection of web sites, like ESPN, etc. Flash (non-video) and shockwave aren't that bad on the bandwith side, they are more processor intensive..

Don't stop there :rolleyes:

I've seen people using You Tube etc. And lets not forget all the rotating ads, graphic intensive pages, java, shockwave ad infinitum on most every web page.

There is no single cause, nor simple remedy.

Archived