Civitavecchia for the day

sotong

Any suggestions of places to go in Civitavecchia within walking distance of the cruise terminals / shuttle bus stop.

I know most people will say 'go to Rome', but we plan to this out of the heat of the summer and stay for a few days - living in the UK this is easy with cheap flights out of the season.

Any ideas - bargain souvenir shopping, any good museums, nice beaches?

Thanks, Gillian

Queen Elizabeth on 2nd August 2011

• 2 weeks later...
Any suggestions of places to go in Civitavecchia within walking distance of the cruise terminals / shuttle bus stop.

I know most people will say 'go to Rome', but we plan to this out of the heat of the summer and stay for a few days - living in the UK this is easy with cheap flights out of the season.

Thanks, Gillian

There is a shuttle that runs from port into Civitavecchia. Not much to do there. Some museums but they are closed on Mondays.

There are a couple of interesting things to see:

Forte Michelangelo ("Michelangelo's fort") was first commissioned from Bramante by Pope Julius II, to defend the port of Rome, and was completed in 1535 by Giuliano Leno and Antonio da Sangallo the Younger, under Paul III. The upper part of the "maschio" tower was designed by Michelangelo. The fortress was built over an ancient Roman construction.

The Rocca ("castle"), re-built in the late 15th century by Pope Sixtus V. A Palazzo Apostolico was added by Pius IV in the 16th century.

The cathedral of San Francesco d'Assisi was built by the Franciscans over a pre-existing small church built from 1610. The current building was erected in the eighteenth century.

North of the city at Ficoncella are the Terme Taurine baths once used by the Romans.

They have a good market there too, but I'm not sure which days.

Enjoy your cruise!

If I understand you correctly, you are intending to go to Civitavecchia as a destination as opposed to being there a few days before you depart on a cruise? If so, it is less expensive to get to Rome than Civitavecchia and there is much less to do there. If not, then if you stay close to the port terminal, you will be within easy walking of the town center and most things available. I suggest http://www.sangiorgiohotel.biz/en/index.htm

Civitavecchia is just a small port town. There are a few things to do but it is more conducive to lounging on the beach or at a street front cafe. Here are a few websites with things to see and do.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Italy/Lazio/Civitavecchia-152412/TravelGuide-Civitavecchia.html

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Tourism-g194743-Civitavecchia_Lazio-Vacations.html

http://www.civitavecchia.net/

Thanks, Gillian

Queen Elizabeth on 2nd August 2011

When we are there for a port day, we walk up the pedestrian shopping street (by a museum and theater). If while on that street you take a street to the left (on the right if walking back to the port) you will find an outdoor market that is interesting.

If you're looking for a beach day:

Santa Marinella is one stop away on the train.

Private beach is about 2€ plus extra to rent loungers.

A few nice local restaurants nearby for a relaxing lunch.

Mari:)

Archived