Staterooms Under The Buffet

hollym

Oh help, someone! Have just booked cabins 9149 and 9153 on Constellation for next December and am worried that even though these cabins are Concierge Class, there may be some noise from the buffet area above them.

Have stayed in CC on Connie before but had cabins more towards midships and had no problem with overhead noise. That said, had cabin 9173 on Summit last April and the noise in the middle of the night from the cafe was just terrible.

Has anyone stayed in the cabins in the vicinity of 9149 and 9153 on Constellation?

Oh help, someone! Have just booked cabins 9149 and 9153 on Constellation for next December and am worried that even though these cabins are Concierge Class, there may be some noise from the buffet area above them.

Have stayed in CC on Connie before but had cabins more towards midships and had no problem with overhead noise. That said, had cabin 9173 on Summit last April and the noise in the middle of the night from the cafe was just terrible.

Has anyone stayed in the cabins in the vicinity of 9149 and 9153 on Constellation?

I learned my lesson on my first cruise - a cabin under the dining room on the Horizon! We always book cabins with other passenger decks above and below us.

Hi I Have been under the buffet section on 5 M class cruseses and have never had a problem with noise from above, there is almost noone up there in the evening when you are ready for bed, we are in our seventies and are very attuned to noise and it has not bothered us. On occasion in the lunch period you may hear a chair scrapprd over the floor.

Enjoy the cc experience.

Best wishes for a great cruise,

BobN:) :)

Why take a chance? I've experienced noise on several ships when below the dining room and above a service corridor. Now I only book cabins with cabins above and below me. It's my vacation and I don't want any "noisy" surprises.

Guest juliae

Hi,

Yes, I'd change cabins, too. I try to stay away from nightclubs, bars, kitchens, restaurants and I totally agree with having cabins below and especially above me.

Check a deck plan before you call them back and have it sitting in front of you when you call - when they give you an alternative stateroom option, take the time to check the stateroom number and what's above the stateroom before you give the OK.

Best Regards,

Julia

Yes, I'd change cabins, too. I try to stay away from nightclubs, bars, kitchens, restaurants and I totally agree with having cabins below and especially above me.

Hmm, on that basis I think there are about 3 cabins left that you should actually book! Realistically, someone has to take those "undesirable" cabins or the ship would be near empty - I guess no noise then! You have to expect some noise, be it someone talking in the corridor as they walk by, a door banging, a chair scrapping etc Hopefully the sound of the sea will overcome it.

For our Connie trip this coming April I originally booked 7168. My kids got an inside on the 9th floor (9159) so I upgraded to CC so we could be closer to them. We are now in 9141 and I am very worried about the noise factor. The previous poster is right, someone has to take those rooms. Chances are we will be fine, but just the thought of all that activity above us bothers me.

Missyal

P.S. Just read another post that mentions the overhang directly above our cabin. Not sure I like that either! I'm not normally a complainer:D .

Missyal,

It seems that half the Sky deck passengers love the overhang, and the other half hate it! We loved it because we both sunburn easily, and it was shadier than a conventional balcony. Normal exposed balconies get so hot that we can't stay out there for very long without overheating. Also, if it rains, you won't get wet under the overhang.

To each his own, I guess!

Lisa

Thanks everyone for your quick responses!:)

We are pretty seasoned travelers (and cruisers) and I do a lot of research when selecting our cabin.That said, I am human and made the mistake of selecting cabin 9173 on the Sky Deck on Summit last April.

We could get to sleep just fine, but couldn't make it through the night without being awakened by a horrible racket overhead in the wee hours. It sounded like someone roller skating over our cabin. Steward said it was the coffee service upstairs, but avoided any discussion about it. I sensed this was not the first time he'd heard this complaint. You could even hear this noise out in the hallways, so I'm sure other cabins in that area have the same problem. Obviously it was something to do with the food service, but what? Who knows?

We've been in cabins on the Sky Deck before, cabin 9131 on Connie in 12-03 and it was a delightful location. (And incidentally, the overhang really helps block direct sunlight.) But I admit, I am a little nervous about my cabin selection this time and hope that any of you who've been in or near these cabins on the Sky Deck on any of the M class ships will let me know your experiences. I'm off to the Celebrity website now to see what other CC cabins are available.

By the way, when did www.cruisestateroom.com start charging for use of their website?:eek: Bum deal.

We had 9146 on the Summit in 2004 fpr a 7-day Alaska cruise. We go to bed around 10:30 PM and get up at 6:00PM. Never were disturbed by noise. We used to eat lunch at a table directly above our veranda on the "overhang".

Ron in Carlsbad

As a previous poster said, the area in the buffet above your cabin is a carpeted area. So unless somebody runs through the buffet area (as teenagers sometimes do late at night) or unless somebody picks up a chair and then drops it onto the carpet, I don't think you will hear anything.

One place you DON'T want to be is under the pool deck--that's a hard surface, and anytime the deck hands or a passenger drags a chair across the surface, the people below hear a real racket! Plus, lots of people have heavy footsteps or kids run across that surface, too. And then don't forget the wheeled carts full of dishes and supplies the kitchen staff use to bring supplies to the pool bar and the pool grill from the main buffet kitchen; that means even more noise.

But back to the original topic, I wouldn't hesitate to get a CC under the buffet. I've been there a few times and never regretted the choice.

Hi All,

Yes, I changed cabins but it isn't a significant adjustment, just a little further toward midships. Missyal, when you get back from your cruise, will you pretty please post on this thread and let me know how you liked your cabin? Yes, we're booked in 9141 for December.:confused:

I noticed something interesting in all of your posts and am wondering if there is any significance there. All of you who say you've had no problems with noise have been in even numbered cabins, which means STARBOARD side of the ship. Those of you who've had problems with noise have been on the PORT side of the ship.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your post, but 9150 is again on the STARBOARD side of the ship. I'm afraid the noise levels that some have experienced on the sky deck on M class ships may have something to do with where the food prep areas are located. No one seems to have posted anything negative about cabins on the starboard side of the ship but we're booked into a cabin on the PORT side. I'm taking my chances and will ply myself liberally with vino at dinner and plan to recoup for any loss of sleep on a beach somewhere the following day.:D

Cheers, H.

I realize that all of the comments were concerning M class ships, but we experienced a similar problem on Mercury on our very first Celebrity cruise. We had RS1054 which is directly below the hot dog, pizza and hamburger stand on the deck above. The noise was awful, and in the middle of the night, it sounded like they were rolling bowling balls over the deck. Apparently, they were cleaning and reprovisioning for the next day. Guest Services, the Asst. Head Housekeeper and our Butler attempted to address the situation, with the result that the noise was lessened - but there still was discernable noise in the middle of the night. What made the situation even worse was that my DW was ill with a fever.

While Century only has 8 RS and does not have RS1054 - we booked only the most forward RS which is near the forward elevators. For Galaxy and Mercury in our Oct. and Jan. cruises, we booked the most forward RS, again near the forward elevators.

Thanks Doree for your info on 9151, which I've added to my personal list of cabins from yes, you know where.

Ah yes, bowling balls being rolled overhead is a perfect description of what we experienced in 9173 on Summit.

When you get one of these cabins that are pure citrus, it can affect your entire cruise. That said, Celebrity did compensate us nicely for the dreadful experience. That is the difference between Celebrity and some of the other cruise lines.

Cheers, Holly:D

I realize that all of the comments were concerning M class ships, but we experienced a similar problem on Mercury on our very first Celebrity cruise. We had RS1054 which is directly below the hot dog, pizza and hamburger stand on the deck above. The noise was awful, and in the middle of the night, it sounded like they were rolling bowling balls over the deck. Apparently, they were cleaning and reprovisioning for the next day. Guest Services, the Asst. Head Housekeeper and our Butler attempted to address the situation, with the result that the noise was lessened - but there still was discernable noise in the middle of the night. What made the situation even worse was that my DW was ill with a fever.

While Century only has 8 RS and does not have RS1054 - we booked only the most forward RS which is near the forward elevators. For Galaxy and Mercury in our Oct. and Jan. cruises, we booked the most forward RS, again near the forward elevators.

We have booked RS 1037 (second most forward, port side) on the Mercury for 10/13 and am now concerned because it appears to be very close to the pool bar. Not being heavy drinkers, any longer, I have no idea how long this bar is likely to be in use in the evenings. Does anyone else?

One would think that the weather during the northern half of the cruise might discourage late nite outdoor partying, but what about the southern half, from above Catalina to Ensenada?

And should we worry more about clean up than actual use?

I wonder why Celebrity put its suites under the pool deck....

• 3 weeks later...

Nu2Sea,

I'm sure you've looked at the deck plans over and over trying to see if you've got a potential problem. I'd be worried too after checking them myself. Usually the outside bars are closed down pretty early on Celebrity but it was the setup for the following day that was so noisy above us on Summit. Try searching the Celebrity boards using the advanced search option. Search on "Mercury and Cabins" or "Mercury and Royal Suites" or even "Mercury and your cabin number". The other option would be to contact the Captain's Club and see if anyone there will give you a straight answer. Good luck!

Archived