Does This Sound Ok?

chirpy007

I have two night pre cruise in NY and then all day on my return. We are staying at Courtyard by Marriot MTE and plan to get a cab to the port at Brooklyn (Caribbean Princess).

On our return l plan to get a taxi from the port to the Luggage Storage co on 46th Street and drop off the bags. Then subway it down to pick up Liberty/Ellis Island trip. From what l understand this is a 5 hourish trip so will subway back to the luggage storage when the trip is done and then a cab straight to the airport.

If l book this trip through the ship its going to cost $99 each. Not including the cab to the airport, doing DIY should cost about $70 in total. Am i missing something ?

Thanks

What time is your return flight?

Why don't you consider doing your Ellis Island trip during the two days before your cruise?

The thing is the rush hour traffic out to both LGA and Kennedy Airport during the summer is really bad from 2 pm and after.

It's great to save $30 per person but, it almost seems worth it to spend the extra so you eliminate that extra stop in New York City.

Jonathan

If you're going to do all this, I'd do the Schwartz Travel on W 36th St - you can walk to the 7th Ave. #1 train at 34th St. which will take to directly to South Ferry. The 46th St. location is in a more congested area of NY and the subway service is not as close - the #4 & 5 trains from Grand Central stop at Bowling Green which is several blocks away.

Thr flight is 6.15pm, what time would you say l need to leave NYC then? Its about $130 dollar saving ;). This trip was the only one available from the ship (this was before l looked at DIYing it) and as we had a long day thought it made sense. im open to suggestions though for other ideas.

I will have a look at Schwartz, thanks.

I don't think you have enough time. You're flying to England, right? So you have to be at JFK at least 2 hours ahead. You have to leave Manhattan absolutely no later than 3 pm and preferably a little earlier. Even if you self-disembark from the ship, you have to take a cab to midtown (1/2 hour +), then find the subway downtown (1/2 hour+), then get into the security lines for the SOL (this is a weekend day, right?), get out to Liberty Island, look around, come back from Liberty Island, take the subway uptown to retrieve your luggage (1/2 hour plus) and be on the road to JFK no later than 3 pm.

Cab to Midtown is about $35, subway is $10, SOL is $13/pp, luggage storage fee - $7-10/bag, cab to JFK $45 + tolls + tip (about $60). You're saving almost no money and assuming a lot of hassle and risk. Pay the $99/pp and let the cruise line worry about all the logistical details and hassle.

Unless you use the ship's excursion and they provide you with transportation to the airport I would skip going to Ellis Island.

You might consider taking a cab into New York, storing your luggage and taking a walking tour of the city or maybe one of the hop on hop off bus rides or else take in a museum.

Take a look at tripadvisor.com for walking tours in New York City there are dozens of them, they are very interesting and you will learn a lot.

Jonathan

Archived