Just on the Summit July 3rd with kids

rhkspk

I have read the debates about chair hogs on these boards for a few years now. I can't remember ever having a problem with it myself. If all the chairs are gone I go to another deck where maybe I can find a chair in the sun. If not I'll sit in the shade until one opens up.

I was on this cruise out of Bayonne last week and got up and out on the upper deck (above the pool) by 9am on sea days and didn't leave that chair until I was done with it. I had my daughters hold my chair while I got food or used the restroom. Before I learned to do that, I made the mistake of talking to friends without someone in my chair (maybe 45 mins) and when I came back my sunblock and towel were tossed on the side. I smiled and just figured I deserved it :). The thing that annoyed me the most on this cruise was the people coming up on deck around 12 loudly complaining that there were no chairs. I watched the pool butlers drag out more chairs and put them up for the people that were complaining. I never got a chair by the pool but I was just as happy upstairs looking out at the ocean.

I thought it was a great cruise!

We took the Summit on 6/19 and didn't notice such a problem. . . in fact, chair saving was less than the last few cruises from NY, Boston and Florida.

We were on Summit 6/12 - found chairs at the pool within a reasonable amount of time. One day we found only two, not three together, but the person next to us offered his, as he was ready to leave.

I must be cruising on the wrong ships because from what I have seen and read all across the boards there are chair hogs on every cruise line and every ship. Why make a silly comment about "it must be the port we left from" Quite frankly that sounds as if you went into the cruise with preconcieved notions about the port. Did the person you meet take a survey asking the chair hogs were they were from?:rolleyes:

Well said.

Contrary to what a few silly reality shows would have you believe - there ARE nice people in New Jersey. ;)

We have cruised many times on Exploer of the Seas RCCL never had problem with chair hogs so maybe it is the ship not the port. I hope the solve problem will be on the Summit in Oct. of coursr ma ybe to coled for the pool.
Since I read numerous times that the M class ships on Celebrity are very similiar to the Radiance class ships on RCI, that was also one of my thoughts.....it could very well be the ship. On Royal's Radiance class ships, the pool area is very small with not too many chairs.....you really needed to take a couple or a few strolls around deck to find an available chair unlike the Voyager class ships where the decks are wide with numerous chairs. Bottom line, there are towels left on chairs all the time leaving from ANY port.

Glad you had a great time! We're leaving Sunday with 2 younger kids, 6 and 3. Did your 9 year old use the kids menu? Can you tell me some of the choices, and did it have activities for the kids to do, coloring, etc? I'm starting to shop for stuff and I need to know if I need to get some little coloring sets, etc. Thanks!

Ellen326- we are going in a few weeks with a 2 year old and a 4 year old. After you go can you please tell me how your 3 year old liked the activities? Also can you let me know what happened if your DC wanted to leave? Do they have pagers? How does that work?

I just got off the Summit on July 10th and had a great time with my family. We had a great time. If anyone has any questions about the food, shows, or kids club let me know. :rolleyes:

glad to hear, I'll be travelling on the summitt in aug and the kids are 13,15,17,19, people keep telling me the teen activities are fewer than the other lines ? what game systems do they have and is there a charge ?? thanks

glad to hear, I'll be travelling on the summitt in aug and the kids are 13,15,17,19, people keep telling me the teen activities are fewer than the other lines ? what game systems do they have and is there a charge ?? thanks

I would like more info on this also as we'll be traveling with 3 14 yearn olds next summer.

That seems to be a stereotype attitude. I am happy this will be your last cruise out of bayonne, try sailing out of R.I., i am sure the passengers are much more to your liking. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Unless you were on this cruise you have no idea what you are talking about. There were many people who said the same thing and they were from NJ. That was how it was and the chair hogging was not the normal hogging you find on most cruises.

I have been on many many many cruises with many many many cruise line out of many many many ports. Unfortunately there are always chair hogs regardless of where you sail from. Could it be a concern to you because of your name "RIREDSOX". People leave from Bayonne from all over the US and Canada, but thank goodness they don't have the same prejudice attitude as you do.

One remedy would be for the cruise lines to have a sufficient amount of chairs for their passengers...what a concept.

Why would my name make a difference INFOREM? I have many friends from NY and NJ. They had sufficient chairs it was just that they were all saved even though no one was ever going to sit in them. You weren't there on this cruise so you have no idea what it was like.l

We were on the Summit out of Bayonne on the 6/5 sailing. We loved the ship and staff so much we booked our next cruise while we were on board for the same ship! Bayonne is a great port for us, we try to book as many cruises out of there as we can, have never had any negative thoughts about our fellow cruises from that port....actually, we have a lot of fun!! However, we do have to agree with the comment on "chair hogging". We witnessed hats and books enjoying chaises for hours by themselves, while people were sitting on towels on the floor area! "Chair hogging" is the only negative comment we mentioned on our cruise questionnaire.

We are debating between a 5 day Western Caribbean cruise on Celebrity Millennium or Carnival Triumph in October. Millie will be more expensive primarily due to airfare. A primary consideration is the facilities and programs for age 4 and 6 year olds. Any insight would be appreciated!

Sailed with a group on the Summit for the 6/5 sailing. Everyone agreeded it was a great ship, sailing from Bayonne is hassle free. Embarkation was a breeze. My only gripe would be the chair situation. Have been on several cruises the last few years, and have to say this is the 1st time we ever experienced issues with this. We are early risers, so we are on the pool deck by 9:00. No kidding, could not even find empty chairs at that time on most sea days! Some of the chairs with items on them sat for hours. Some people would come back to their stuff, sit for 15 minutes, then leave again for an hour or more. It really was ridiculous. Not only that, a group of women accused my son and niece of stealing their chairs, along with their "stuff". They even called security on them, only to have security locate their chairs and stuff on the other side of the pool in the identical location. No apologies from the accusers. Our kids handled it well, did not want to cause a scene and took the high rode. We did have quite a laugh for hours though about the stupidity of people!

Ellen326- we are going in a few weeks with a 2 year old and a 4 year old. After you go can you please tell me how your 3 year old liked the activities? Also can you let me know what happened if your DC wanted to leave? Do they have pagers? How does that work?

We sailed back in May w/ our 4 year old and he LOVED the kids club. We couldnt keep him out of there lol. There were a few times where he wanted to leave and they would call our room and leave a message if we werent there.

I enjoy the regular 4pm tea....nice time for a snack. I'm not big on elegant teas....especially if you have to dress up. Which tea? I certainly hope that the regular tea is open daily.

Cova Cafe was a nice place for "regular tea" - we sat there on a rainy sea day with champagne, tea, and sweets. There is an "elegant tea" on Saturday at Normandie, but we didn't attend since the fantastic Brunch was also served that day and we were going to Normandie that evening for dinner.

We were in a Royal Suite, so those nice little "tea sandwiches" and treats were delivered to us daily by our butler! We usually were not in the stateroom at the time, but once I did run into him and asked for a pot of tea, also. Such pampering!! ;)

Unless you were on this cruise you have no idea what you are talking about. There were many people who said the same thing and they were from NJ. That was how it was and the chair hogging was not the normal hogging you find on most cruises.

No one doubts you that the chair hogs were out in full force or as you say the worst you have ever seen from any port. It is the concluding statement that the chair hogs were from NJ. Again, how exactly do you know this?? And you continue to claim that “many people said the same thing” How do they know is?? Reality is you don’t nor do these people and it really is just a guess because you want to blame the people from NJ for whatever reason.

I have 11 more days to be on the Summit and I can’t wait…..I always find a chair with a little bit of effort. I will be happy to report if the chair hogs were the worst on this ship, (again it could be the ship itself) however I won’t accuse people from a particular state, I have much better things to do on my vacation than speculate and criticize.

No one doubts you that the chair hogs were out in full force or as you say the worst you have ever seen from any port. It is the concluding statement that the chair hogs were from NJ. Again, how exactly do you know this?? And you continue to claim that “many people said the same thing” How do they know is?? Reality is you don’t nor do these people and it really is just a guess because you want to blame the people from NJ for whatever reason.

I have 11 more days to be on the Summit and I can’t wait…..I always find a chair with a little bit of effort. I will be happy to report if the chair hogs were the worst on this ship, (again it could be the ship itself) however I won’t accuse people from a particular state, I have much better things to do on my vacation than speculate and criticize.

Pretty amazed that all my previous comments about this thread have been deleted. I guess this isn't a "free country".

Roe2Ship are you going on July 24th? If so can you save me 3 chairs...?

for the 9 to 11 year olds they had video games, egg drop, pool games, movies, scavenger hunts, dodge ball, capture the flag, arts and crafts, pillow fights, etc. For the 14 year old they had teen movies, dances, scavenger hunts, photo games, trivea, etc.

I was on the July 3rd cruise and there was over 450 kids. There was a lot for the teens to do. I had a son 9 and 2 daughters 14 and 17. My daughters loved the karoke, trivia contests, movies, pool, shows, and some teen activities. I was surprised at how many teens participated in the teen activies.

We were on the 6/26 sailing, the week before yours, and didn't have much of a problem finding chairs for all seven of us whenever we wanted to sit at the pool. All of "those people" must have been on the cruise the following week! ;)

Last year the brunch was on the first sea day, which I much preferred. It was a great kick-off to a wonderful trip. This cruise the Captain's dinner was on Friday night, the brunch Saturday as well as the tea. I would prefer to have the special dining events spread out a little more. We planned on trying the tea but knew we had splurged too much at brunch to be able to enjoy it.

We were on the 6/26 sailing, the week before yours, and didn't have much of a problem finding chairs for all seven of us whenever we wanted to sit at the pool. All of "those people" must have been on the cruise the following week! ;)

Last year the brunch was on the first sea day, which I much preferred. It was a great kick-off to a wonderful trip. This cruise the Captain's dinner was on Friday night, the brunch Saturday as well as the tea. I would prefer to have the special dining events spread out a little more. We planned on trying the tea but knew we had splurged too much at brunch to be able to enjoy it.

I'd like the brunch the first AND the last sea days! :D

Archived