When is the best time to see Alaska

w4kry

Depends on what you want to see. The earlier in the season you go, the the more ice & snow you're probably going to see. The later you go, the better chance you have of seeing bears, since the salmon are spawning and the bears are feasting! My favorite time of year up there is September.

My friend went and hated it because she went in May and it was so cool the fog didn't burn off for hours so she lost a lot of sightseeing as a result. She advised us to go in the dead of summer and we went in July. It was spectacular. Fog burned off early in the day .

As someone who lives in Alaska, the summer is best time from the summer equinox (longest day of the year, 21 Jun) through July & August. It starts to cool off in late August through Sept. The longer days of summer allow you to see much more. Alot depends on what you want to see. If you are specifically looking for bears, then anytime during the salmon run is good. The Moose drop their calves in mid-May to mid-June. They are an awesome sight to see. I have taken the Alaska Marine Highway ferries in the winter, and it is nice but very cool. I haven't taken an Alaskan cruise on Carnival. Our cruise is the ferry :).

Good luck,

Dave

Went the 3rd week in Aug 2009, and the weather was perfect! No rain, barely needed a jacket. Salmon was running and bears in the water tried to catch them. Our friends went in May and it snowed. They wore coats most of the time.

Archived