Need some quick tips on the "Spirit"

DAGVBSB

I just found out that some friends are cruising on the Spirit next week. These are RCCL cruisers who I never thought would cruise NCL.

While I can explain Freestyle, Service Charge and dress code, I have never been on the Spirit so I can't be specific about that ship.

I need some tips and thoughts about the Spirit so I can give them some "NCL insider tips" and help them have a great NCL experience. Thanks everyone

When you exit an elevator you are facing aft. Every time. They are color coded as well.

There is a bridge observation well accessible from a spiral stair in a forward lounge. It has mementos of the ship on display.

Prepare to enjoy the beautiful decor. It is unique in the cruiseship world.

If Jorge from Portugal is still the Maitre D', make friends with him.

Have a dinner at Le Bistro.

If you notice a sewer gas odor in the cabin, pour two coffee potsful of water into the floor drains in WC and the lav. Well, that's a hint for any ship, actually.

Order the pumpkin-crab bisque on whatever night it is available.

If you notice a sewer gas odor in the cabin, pour two coffee potsful of water into the floor drains in WC and the lav. Well, that's a hint for any ship, actually.

Better yet, do it proactively. Pour water into the floor drain when you first arrive in your cabin, and do it again once or twice a day. Be careful not to slip on the wet floor. Think of it as your cruising equivalent to feeding the goldfish at home. (Memo to self: while driving home from the airport after upcoming NCL Spirit cruise, stop at the pet store and buy new goldfish to replace the starved-to-death ones.)

InThe

I have to reiterate the comment about Raffles terrace. It's a very large terrace area (2 levels) aft of the buffet. It's loaded with tables & chairs. Great for taking your buffet food out at any meal (especially nice for breakfast). Great for relaxing with a drink while watching the wake (there is a bar there). It also overlooks the kids pool, which was very quiet on our Sept cruise. Not sure how noisy it is in summer. Just a nice relaxing area & view. I wish all NCL ships had an area like this.

I have to reiterate the comment about Raffles terrace. It's a very large terrace area (2 levels) aft of the buffet. It's loaded with tables & chairs. Great for taking your buffet food out at any meal (especially nice for breakfast). Great for relaxing with a drink while watching the wake (there is a bar there). It also overlooks the kids pool, which was very quiet on our Sept cruise. Not sure how noisy it is in summer. Just a nice relaxing area & view. I wish all NCL ships had an area like this.

:) What is buffet food?

The ping-pong tables are on that aft deck as well.

When you exit an elevator you are facing aft. Every time. They are color coded as well.

There is a bridge observation well accessible from a spiral stair in a forward lounge. It has mementos of the ship on display.

Prepare to enjoy the beautiful decor. It is unique in the cruiseship world.

If Jorge from Portugal is still the Maitre D', make friends with him.

Have a dinner at Le Bistro.

Order the pumpkin-crab bisque on whatever night it is available.

What do you mean by they are color coded? This will be my first time on the Spirit as well and love these kind of little tips. Especially since I am the random blonde lost on the ship at any given time...LOL! Now I know when I get off the elevators I WILL be facing aft! On Princess ships, the carpets along the cabins offer you a little guidance help...Red stripe on carpet Port Side...Blue Stripe on carpet Starboard Side.

Do you have any hints about which side of the ship you are on?

What do you mean by they are color coded? This will be my first time on the Spirit as well and love these kind of little tips. Especially since I am the random blonde lost on the ship at any given time...LOL! Now I know when I get off the elevators I WILL be facing aft! On Princess ships, the carpets along the cabins offer you a little guidance help...Red stripe on carpet Port Side...Blue Stripe on carpet Starboard Side.

The color code thing gets me every time because I can't remember if Green is mid, blue is aft and red is forward or what. There are also no #4's in the cabin numbers (although there is a Deck 4).:eek: The ship is of Asian descent and #4 is bad luck. I don't remember exactly but the fish on the carpet (something to that effect) are swimming forward so that means forward.

We enjoyed our time on the Spirit - it is unique from the other NCL ships. I like the multi-tiered decks on the back. The terrace area.

There is a nice deck on the front of the ship too, without the plexi-glass (or whatever it is) to obstruct the view of us short people. Great for sail away. I can't remember now, but that may be on deck 11? The floor plan will show them where it is.

Windows is by far the prettier of the two MDR's, but they serve the same food as you well know.

Suggest they tour around and see all of the (mostly) Asian decor.

Also, so it's not a surprise make sure they know that most cabins do not come with a fridge. I have been told that you can get one upon request but we didn't see the need for that, as they kept the ice buckets full.

Are you implying that's an "oxymoron" ? ;) (i.e. Government Intelligence)

:) Well, I heard a rumor that food was available there. Since i know what else available at a buffet....well, anyway. I get food at the dining room

and eschew the 'git fed' room.

Still looking for 'jumbo shrimps'.:D

The carpet on the landings and stairwells at the elevators are different colors for the three lift/stairs. Red,green,blue. Your room is always on your left or right as you exit the lifts. Center bank has some nifty glass cars allowing a view of that beautiful atrium. It's just a beautiful ship.

For OP---on embarkation, Windows dining room is open. A very attractive, very nice, very polite young will be at the stairwell outside of Windows and she will ask if you are looking for the buffet. Tell her 'Windows'.

No fridges without a medical need for one.

The Spirit is my favorite ship. It's the perfect size for me. We requested a fridge for the in-laws medication and received one although we had to ask again after we boarded. I love the aft decks. Cabin 11660 was incredible in my opinion. We liked the pub as well. If any of you run into Anan on the ship tell him Barbara and Chris from Dallas said Hi and that we miss him.

The Spirit is my favorite ship. It's the perfect size for me. We requested a fridge for the in-laws medication and received one although we had to ask again after we boarded. I love the aft decks. Cabin 11660 was incredible in my opinion. We liked the pub as well. If any of you run into Anan on the ship tell him Barbara and Chris from Dallas said Hi and that we miss him.

I'm thinking that we were in 11660 a coupla years ago.

It's a wonderful ship. We are geeked that we get to sail her once more before she gets banished to the Med.

We will be on the Spirit in 2 more months and can't wait.

I can't remember the exact details, but someone mentioned to me months ago about going to one of the lounges (I believe Galaxy of the stars) and there is a stairway (spiral I'm thinking) that leads to another room with a great viewing area. I don't remember exact details. Maybe someone that knows can chime in. :D

I would tell your friends to come here and sign up and read away. There is so much info on here.

Here is a site that has a lot of info and pictures of the ship. She is beautiful.

http://www.beyondships.com/NCLSpirit-Tour.html 6 pages full of info and pictures. :)

Yes, it is the Galaxy with the spiral staircase down. It goes to the window looking into the Bridge. You can also get your picture with one of those old wheels for steering the ship, I believe that is in Galaxy also.

- The Panini Sandwich at Blue Lagoon is amazing!

- Go to the Murder Mystery Luncheon on the last day it is so fun

-Do not do the Xplorer excursion in Cozumel

- White Hot Party is super fun but does have teeny boopers in in it

- The Martini testing in Champagne Charlies is amazing we met some wonderful people there it is $15 a person for 5 to 6 martini's and they let you split it too. It is on the 1st and last At Sea days.

- The elements show is amazing

-The waiter in Melroy in the Garden room is beyond amazing! Request him seriously! One night I wanted to try 2 desserts and he brought me 5 to try and another night he brought all the entrees so we could try them all.

-If you gamble get the the slots coupon for $50 and all you have to spend is $25

That's all I think of now hope this helps!

Archived