How Am I Doing (Shore Excursion plans)?

namaste1223

Hi everyone- We're sailing on the Pride of America in August. I've been working for hours on our shore excursions, which I've listed below. How'd I do? Any advice from experienced Hawaii cruisers? Our family includes me (DW), DH and college-age son and daughter. Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Sunday (Maui) - Rent a car. Stop at Maui Plantation and Iao Valley/Iao Needle on the way to Lahaina. Possibly stop at Maui Ocean Center if time allows. 2:00 Atlantis Submarine excursion (a must for my son!). Explore the town until Old Lahaina Luau. Drive back and return car before heading back to ship.

Monday (Maui) - Haleakala Sunrise Excursion. DH drove this on our honeymoon 25 years ago and would like to leave the driving to someone else this time, so we'll take an excursion. Not sure if through a private company or the ship. Thoughts? Rest of the day at leisure unless something else catches our eyes...

Tuesday (Hilo) - Private tour of volcano, orchid farm, macadamia nut factory, Rainbow Falls, coffee mill and anything else we have time for.

Wednesday (Kona) - Another private tour of Place of Refuge, Painted Church, Coffee Plantation, Seahorse Farm (a must for my daughter, therefore the necessity of the private tour to fit it in with everything else!).

Thursday (Kauai) - North Shore tour, which includes Wailua River Cruise to Fern Grotto. We're considering also adding an airplane tour, but definitely not a helicoptor. Worth it? Rest of the day at leisure.

Friday (Kauai) - If we wind up not doing the airplane tour, we'll take an excursion to Waimea Canyon. If we see Waimea Canyon on the airplane tour, we'll play this morning by ear, relaxing and walking around, swimming nearby or taking available shuttles.

That's it! We'll also be in Waikiki for five days before the cruise and a day after (we arrive on Mon. and leave on Sun.), but I guess our Oahu plans technically belong on Trip Advisor, not Cruise Critic...!

Hi everyone- We're sailing on the Pride of America in August. I've been working for hours on our shore excursions, which I've listed below. How'd I do? Any advice from experienced Hawaii cruisers? Our family includes me (DW), DH and college-age son and daughter. Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Sunday (Maui) - Rent a car. Stop at Maui Plantation and Iao Valley/Iao Needle on the way to Lahaina. Possibly stop at Maui Ocean Center if time allows. 2:00 Atlantis Submarine excursion (a must for my son!). Explore the town until Old Lahaina Luau. Drive back and return car before heading back to ship.

Monday (Maui) - Haleakala Sunrise Excursion. DH drove this on our honeymoon 25 years ago and would like to leave the driving to someone else this time, so we'll take an excursion. Not sure if through a private company or the ship. Thoughts? Rest of the day at leisure unless something else catches our eyes...

Tuesday (Hilo) - Private tour of volcano, orchid farm, macadamia nut factory, Rainbow Falls, coffee mill and anything else we have time for.

Wednesday (Kona) - Another private tour of Place of Refuge, Painted Church, Coffee Plantation, Seahorse Farm (a must for my daughter, therefore the necessity of the private tour to fit it in with everything else!).

Thursday (Kauai) - North Shore tour, which includes Wailua River Cruise to Fern Grotto. We're considering also adding an airplane tour, but definitely not a helicoptor. Worth it? Rest of the day at leisure.

Friday (Kauai) - If we wind up not doing the airplane tour, we'll take an excursion to Waimea Canyon. If we see Waimea Canyon on the airplane tour, we'll play this morning by ear, relaxing and walking around, swimming nearby or taking available shuttles.

That's it! We'll also be in Waikiki for five days before the cruise and a day after (we arrive on Mon. and leave on Sun.), but I guess our Oahu plans technically belong on Trip Advisor, not Cruise Critic...!

Wow! Sounds like you've really done your homework.

Will keep checking back for tour company you find in Maui. We want to do Haleakala. And like you, we don't want to do the driving.

Sunday (Maui) - Rent a car. Stop at Maui Plantation and Iao Valley/Iao Needle on the way to Lahaina. Possibly stop at Maui Ocean Center if time allows. 2:00 Atlantis Submarine excursion (a must for my son!). Explore the town until Old Lahaina Luau. Drive back and return car before heading back to ship.Maybe you want to keep the car for your leisurely day after your Mt. Haleakala sunrise? I know we're going to spend the rest of the day at a beach, but we need a car for that.

Thursday (Kauai) - North Shore tour, which includes Wailua River Cruise to Fern Grotto. We're considering also adding an airplane tour, but definitely not a helicoptor. Worth it? Rest of the day at leisure. We are scheduled to do the Wings Over Kauai tour on the 2nd morning in Kauai--it's in a couple of weeks, so be sure to look out for my review. I've read that some people think the Fern Grotto isn't worth it anymore. Probably just one man's opinion--but not what I would think older teens/young 20somethings would like. JMHO

Friday (Kauai) - If we wind up not doing the airplane tour, we'll take an excursion to Waimea Canyon. If we see Waimea Canyon on the airplane tour, we'll play this morning by ear, relaxing and walking around, swimming nearby or taking available shuttles. Maybe just go to the beach right next door to the ship??? There's shopping if some of you would prefer to shop.

No matter what, I'm sure it's a vacation you won't soon forget!!!

My opinion. Decide which is a must between the luau and the Haleakala sunrise tour. You won't get back to the ship after the luau until probably 10:30 or 11. Not sure rental car company would be open that late to return the car. Then you have to get up at something like 3am for the sunrise tour. Any reviews I've read that have done the sunrise tour without doing the luau go back to the ship and sleep afterwards cuz they are exhausted so you can scrap the 2nd day unless you do something in the afternoon.

As for the airplane tour in Kauai, I would do that the 2nd day first thing in the morning. Mornings are better for visibility and you don't want to break up your entire day driving to the north shore to make it back for an afternoon air tour.

Will keep checking back for tour company you find in Maui. We want to do Haleakala. And like you' date=' we don't want to do the driving.[/quote']

Thank you for the encouragement! The Haleakala Crater tour is next up on my list of things to arrange, so stay tuned!

Originally Posted by namaste1223 viewpost.gif

Sunday (Maui) - Rent a car. Stop at Maui Plantation and Iao Valley/Iao Needle on the way to Lahaina. Possibly stop at Maui Ocean Center if time allows. 2:00 Atlantis Submarine excursion (a must for my son!). Explore the town until Old Lahaina Luau. Drive back and return car before heading back to ship.Maybe you want to keep the car for your leisurely day after your Mt. Haleakala sunrise? I know we're going to spend the rest of the day at a beach, but we need a car for that.

Thursday (Kauai) - North Shore tour, which includes Wailua River Cruise to Fern Grotto. We're considering also adding an airplane tour, but definitely not a helicoptor. Worth it? Rest of the day at leisure. We are scheduled to do the Wings Over Kauai tour on the 2nd morning in Kauai--it's in a couple of weeks, so be sure to look out for my review. I've read that some people think the Fern Grotto isn't worth it anymore. Probably just one man's opinion--but not what I would think older teens/young 20somethings would like. JMHO

Friday (Kauai) - If we wind up not doing the airplane tour, we'll take an excursion to Waimea Canyon. If we see Waimea Canyon on the airplane tour, we'll play this morning by ear, relaxing and walking around, swimming nearby or taking available shuttles. Maybe just go to the beach right next door to the ship??? There's shopping if some of you would prefer to shop.

No matter what, I'm sure it's a vacation you won't soon forget!!!

To Smrtypnts:

Thank you - this is sure to be the vacation of a lifetime! You've given me lots to think about. We're leaving in a couple of weeks also! We'll be on the POA sailing on July 30. How about you?

I heard the same things about the Fern Grotto, but it's included in a tour of other things we would like to see. You might be right about the kids being bored, but if I could go zip-lining and rappelling off the side of a cliff on a previous vacation, they can be bored for a few minutes this time!

As someone else suggested, instead of taking the airplane flight after the tour on Thursday, we might wait until Friday morning to take the flight - if I get up the nerve! Apparently we have a better chance of the weather cooperating on a morning flight!

To AZ Karaoke Girl:

My opinion. Decide which is a must between the luau and the Haleakala sunrise tour. You won't get back to the ship after the luau until probably 10:30 or 11. Not sure rental car company would be open that late to return the car. Then you have to get up at something like 3am for the sunrise tour. Any reviews I've read that have done the sunrise tour without doing the luau go back to the ship and sleep afterwards cuz they are exhausted so you can scrap the 2nd day unless you do something in the afternoon.

You have a good point, but believe it or not, we talked about it and think we're going to go ahead with our original plan! I checked with the car rental company. If we don't make it back by the 10:30 closing time (which they seemed to think we would if we leave right after the luau ends), we'll return the car the next day and pay for a few extra hours. We decided we'd really like to do both these things more than anything we could do on the 2nd day, even if it means losing some of the 2nd day to napping. Since we won't be driving to Haleakala ourselves, we can catnap on the bus. College kids are up half the night anyway!

As for the airplane tour in Kauai, I would do that the 2nd day first thing in the morning. Mornings are better for visibility and you don't want to break up your entire day driving to the north shore to make it back for an afternoon air tour.

Great idea! We are going to take your advice and book the flight for Friday morning - provided I get up the nerve to take a flight!

Thanks for all your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Will keep checking back for tour company you find in Maui. We want to do Haleakala. And like you' date=' we don't want to do the driving.[/quote']

Hi! Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you, but I've been busy trying to find other options besides the ship's tour. Temptations offers a tour that is almost double the cost of the ship's tour, but is in a smaller vehicle and includes a stop at a protea farm and breakfast. Robert's no longer offers a sunrise tour, and other companies run tours Tues. through Sat. It seems NCL has a monopoly on this one!

I found out the hard way not to wait too long to book this if you do decide to go through the ship. This morning I gave up looking for another option and I went to book the ship's tour. It seems that just today the tour sold out! Unfortunately, that leaves us with the option of driving ourselves (we already rented a car for the previous day, so we can just keep it) or finding something else to do.

Good luck. If you find another option, please let us know!

I have just posted my trip review, it should be up soon I organized everything myself too. Excursions: Snorking with Pacific Whale Foundation-Maui, Bike Volcano-Hilo, Captain Zodiac-Kona, Island Helicopters-Kauai. I rented a car and drove the road to Hana, Rented a car on Kauai to explore the beaches (and take surfing lessons) and rented a car on Oahu to drive to the north shore. We were busy but had a trip of a lifetime! Happy to answer specific questions.

Tuesday (Hilo)[/u] - Private tour of volcano' date=' orchid farm, macadamia nut factory, Rainbow Falls, coffee mill and anything else we have time for.

[u']Wednesday (Kona)[/u] - Another private tour of Place of Refuge, Painted Church, Coffee Plantation, Seahorse Farm (a must for my daughter, therefore the necessity of the private tour to fit it in with everything else!).

QUOTE]

In both Kona and Hilo your list is EASILY gotten to independently with a car rental, if of interest. Heading to your library for a look at Fodor's Hawaii, Frommer's Hawaii, along with the excellent car rental map books, makes this very simple.

We too, did the excursion route on our trip on POA.

A bit more spendy, but we liked the "comfort zone" of a ship's excursion, so much so, that we would most certainly do it over again. The second, time, probably not...we'd rent a car.

btw...tell your daughter that we did the seahorse excursion in Kona, and although it was by far the cheapest of any excursions, we loved it!

They have seahorses as small as mosquito larvae, and as large as your hand. The large ones will curl their tall around your finger, and "purr".

In both Kona and Hilo your list is EASILY gotten to independently with a car rental, if of interest. Heading to your library for a look at Fodor's Hawaii, Frommer's Hawaii, along with the excellent car rental map books, makes this very simple.

I agree that these things can be driven on your own to save a buck but from the driver perspective, a private tour is sooooo much better. For example, I am the driver in our group and we rented a car in Maui with my trusty GPS I rented, we "managed" to find our way to our destination. I was driving so didn't really get to enjoy the scenery like everyone else. Also, we didn't stop at places along the way and know the narratives. When I did the Hilo tour thru Aina tours, Gil stopped at many places along the way to show us little waterfalls and streams, lookout points etc that I wouldn't have known about going from point A to point B. And I certainly don't know the history behind it. For example we drove over a bridge in Hilo that people stood on many years ago to watch a tsunami roll in and they all got washed away. Just little pieces of info that you don't get by driving yourself. My tour was worth every penny I paid in my opinion.

Archived