CRAFT BEER LOVERS - How do we get NCL to stock our beers?

rikatine

Love cruising, hate the beer selection. Is there any way to get NCL to carry a selection of American Craft Beer?

Does the food and beverage manager for each ship make such decisions? I have read that there will occasionally be a local craft beer offered depending on your departure port.

Could I contact someone? We are sailing on the Gem soon.

Since craft beer lovers are so darn picky, it would be best to make your request specific and pick one that has general distribution, especially in the state of departure.

I'm sure that they won't stock a beer just for you, but you can make a suggestion that they stock some in the sports bar / pub bar as a move to counter a new trend being offered by another cruise line of an on-board brewery.

Also remember that many craft beers are not so good in 90 degree weather with 90% humidity....not as good anyway as they may taste with a bit of snow on the ground.

It won't happen. Look at how many people are perfectly willing to drink swill and be happy doing it.

Being a beer geek on a cruise ship is a particularly difficult row to hoe.

Maybe 3-5 % of pax would be willing to buy the craft beer. Maybe. There is no incentive for the lines.. Lotsa people post here about an 'amazing ,large selection' of beer. It isn't really their fault for not knowing that the 'huge' selection is almost exclusively lagers to include swill, dreck, watered-down swill and bilge-pump primer.

Looking forward to enjoying a tasty home-brewed cherried porter with a pot roast tonight........

Not tryin' to make ya jealous or anything.......:D

It won't happen. Look at how many people are perfectly willing to drink swill and be happy doing it.

Maybe 3-5 % of pax would be willing to buy the craft beer. Maybe. There is no incentive for the lines.. Lotsa people post here about an 'amazing ,large selection' of beer. It isn't really their fault for not knowing that the 'huge' selection is almost exclusively lagers to include swill, dreck, watered-down swill and bilge-pump primer.

Looking forward to enjoying a tasty home-brewed cherried porter with a pot roast tonight........

AKA, Miller, Bud, Coors :D

Go with a martini. Hope you enjoy your home brewed swill with your pot roast. You were very insulting, in case you didn't notice.

???

Explain, please.

I explain some simple facts for the OP. There is no market for craft beer on the ships. I didn't insult anyone.

I might, and I stress 'might' have insulted some beers. Of course, they aren't sentient, so most likely they weren't insulted. I'm doubtful that I even insulted the brewmasters who produce all of that swill since they are selling barrels of it and smiling all the way to the bank.

Dear NCL, please recognize an "untapped":) market of craft beer lovers who actually spend money on vacation for the beers they love to drink. If you would allow me to bring my own delicious beer, I would be happy to pay a fee. Otherwise, please just stock a nice IPA for us. Thank you.

The Europe sailings usually have bottled Bass and bottled Becks is OK (BTW I am a UK 'Real Ale' aficionado).

I did manage to get some Warsteiner on a Baltics cruise.

I usually keep DW company in the martini bar and really enjoy my first proper pint when I get home (a small consolation for the end of a cruise!)

The Europe sailings usually have bottled Bass and bottled Becks is OK (BTW I am a UK 'Real Ale' aficionado).

I did manage to get some Warsteiner on a Baltics cruise.

I usually keep DW company in the martini bar and really enjoy my first proper pint when I get home (a small consolation for the end of a cruise!)

The beer selection when we were on the Sun was quite good. A few German beers to try.

The selection on the Epic was appalling. I drank mainly Diet Pepsi and the occasional cocktail.

Life members of CAMRA live at our house

Agree. Enjoy your Porter.

Dear NCL, please recognize an "untapped":) market of craft beer lovers who actually spend money on vacation for the beers they love to drink. If you would allow me to bring my own delicious beer, I would be happy to pay a fee. Otherwise, please just stock a nice IPA for us. Thank you.

They allow people to bring on bottles of wine with a $15 corkage fee

Maybe something like that for beer:D

I would be happy if they would stock some Sierra Nevada Pale Ale..You can buy it all over the country and Im sure who ever their beer distributer is can get it

My husband is a beer snob..and knows a lot about beers (and all the different varieties) he loves stouts and was happy that our cruise on the Jewel had Guinness on draft at "Maltings"..They also had on tap: Stella, Bass, Heineken, Amstel, and Becks..There were a couple more..but I can't remember..My husband was happy drinking the Guinness when we were indoors..but just had Heineken or Magic Hat bottles when we were by the pool.He let his beer snobbery go for the week..as he knew he was not going have a great selection of beers..He also had a lot of the drink specials which he only drinks on cruises..So it is not a great selection but it is okay enough for the beer snobs..LOL!

Maybe post by specific ship you're looking at? I recall some of the pub type bars on ships we've been on have offered different beers from around the world.

I've asked about what and how much beer the cruise lines carry. Carnival told me they work on a budget number and an "X" case count. We were on the Miracle in 2008 and they ran out of Coors light a day before the cruise ended. (don't flame now, DH is diabetic and HAS to drink light beers to keep his carb count down) We asked if that meant they would increase the case count, they said no. Also said that different beers sell better than others depending on the port they depart from.

While so NOT a seasoned traveler I noticed on just a few trips to Florida over the years the differences. One time it was Icehouse and Bud on tap at bars in Florida while we had such a variety here.

With the lines looking to keep fares in check but pick up income elsewhere maybe it would be in their best interest to offer a type of "beer clinic" similar to the other alcohol tastings where they offer say, over the course of two tastings, 12 beers, then offer the beer at a specific bar (like Maltings for instance). Someone like myself who enjoys an occasional stella, yuengling black and tan, etc. would have a tendency to try a tasting like this to expand my beer palette.

Might be a win-win all around.

Kathy

They allow people to bring on bottles of wine with a $15 corkage fee

Maybe something like that for beer:D

I would be happy if they would stock some Sierra Nevada Pale Ale..You can buy it all over the country and Im sure who ever their beer distributer is can get it

I completely agree. Sierra Nevada would be a decent choice. I would be willing to pay corkage fee if I could just bring a few bombers or a six pack.

We end up drinking some wine. Will have a couple mix drinks, but it ends up being a fairly dry week for us. We just really enjoy our craft beer.

Maybe post by specific ship you're looking at? I recall some of the pub type bars on ships we've been on have offered different beers from around the world.

I've asked about what and how much beer the cruise lines carry. Carnival told me they work on a budget number and an "X" case count. We were on the Miracle in 2008 and they ran out of Coors light a day before the cruise ended. (don't flame now, DH is diabetic and HAS to drink light beers to keep his carb count down) We asked if that meant they would increase the case count, they said no. Also said that different beers sell better than others depending on the port they depart from.

While so NOT a seasoned traveler I noticed on just a few trips to Florida over the years the differences. One time it was Icehouse and Bud on tap at bars in Florida while we had such a variety here.

With the lines looking to keep fares in check but pick up income elsewhere maybe it would be in their best interest to offer a type of "beer clinic" similar to the other alcohol tastings where they offer say, over the course of two tastings, 12 beers, then offer the beer at a specific bar (like Maltings for instance). Someone like myself who enjoys an occasional stella, yuengling black and tan, etc. would have a tendency to try a tasting like this to expand my beer palette.

Might be a win-win all around.

Kathy

We are sailing on the Gem out of NYC later this summer. It would be great if they had a couple of good beers (we really like IPA's or even a quality pale ale) at Maltings.

Believe it or not we and many of our friends spend a lot of vacation dollars visiting areas that have a concentration of craft beers available.

Did someone say there is going to be a brewpub at sea?

We will be sailing to Bermuda, and can hope to find a good beer at the Frog and Onion at the Dockyard.

My husband is a beer snob..and knows a lot about beers (and all the different varieties) he loves stouts and was happy that our cruise on the Jewel had Guinness on draft at "Maltings"..They also had on tap: Stella, Bass, Heineken, Amstel, and Becks..There were a couple more..but I can't remember..My husband was happy drinking the Guinness when we were indoors..but just had Heineken or Magic Hat bottles when we were by the pool.He let his beer snobbery go for the week..as he knew he was not going have a great selection of beers..He also had a lot of the drink specials which he only drinks on cruises..So it is not a great selection but it is okay enough for the beer snobs..LOL!

Not even a Guinness on tap for us on the Pearl last year. As much as I love my American Craft Beer, my Irish side still allows me to drink a Guinness on tap (bottled I would skip). Just don't have the palate for Stella, Bass, Heineken and Amstel etc. anymore and I won't order one just to have a drink.

Luddite, you have it right. All the beers they offer are lagers more or less. Hope you enjoyed your Cherry Stout last night.

A nice pale ale would be a welcome addition. I really don't see them putting an IPA on board.

I got some Coal Porter on a NCL ship out of Houston ( years ago). I was pretty amazed that they would have something like that. About a year later we sailed out of Houston again, on a different ship. I was excited about the prospect of glomming onto some more Coal Porter. Alas and alack, 'twas not to be. BTW, that was the only Porter we ever saw on a ship.

The bartender in the pub explained how the Coal Porter came to be on the other ship. It was left over from the ship's prior itinerary up the east US coast. (Coal Porter comes from Maine) He told me that the ships will bring on ONE local beer. In Texas, it was Shiner Bock. Alaska trips have seen a beer from Alaska or Oregon. Out of Miami, we had Presidente' :eek:, an odd choice I must say.

Bottom line? If ya don't like light lagers, the beer selection for a beer geek on a ship is real dismal. I didn't even see a Celebrator Dopplebock on the Spirit in February. It is tough being a beer geek in a world of beer snobs who like a particular brand of swill.

There is a rumor that a RCCL ship is setting up a brewpub. With a ship's motion, I'm having a hard time envisioning a lot of success.

Not even a Guinness on tap for us on the Pearl last year. As much as I love my American Craft Beer, my Irish side still allows me to drink a Guinness on tap (bottled I would skip). Just don't have the palate for Stella, Bass, Heineken and Amstel etc. anymore and I won't order one just to have a drink.

Luddite, you have it right. All the beers they offer are lagers more or less. Hope you enjoyed your Cherry Stout last night.

No Guinness on tap on the Spirit. Heinie, I think.

The cherried porter went REAL well with the pot roast. My wife is a big fan of porters and this one gets two thumbs up. It ain't lawn mowin' beer, that's for certain.

I agree the Celebrator Dopplebock on NCL was a great find. Can't remember if it was the Spirit or Star, but since someone said they were on the Spirit with it, that's most likely.

Even if they'd just do a few more styles of Sam Adams and a few Sierra Nevadas, it sounds like we'd be happier campers.

Ditch the Stella! But I suppose they keep it because someone is still convinced that is a good beer. I understand NCL needs to cater to both their Euro and US pax, but I'm not asking for them to toss the Amstel, Coors, and Budweiser overboard. Just switch out a few offerings.

NCL stocks what sells.

And I 100% understand that. It just seems there are a few choices that could be stocked in place of others that aren't "great" sellers. For example, try switching out the Beck's or Stella for a U.S. craft brew. For many Americans, macro imports (Corona, Bass, etc.) were the only way to get something different than US macros. Now? Many of us would rather have an American micro/craft brew than an import macro.

I understand Europeans would possibly rather have their macros than U.S. micros, so based on passenger counts and sailing location, NCL would have to decide what's best. For example, for a Caribbean cruise, I'd guess the majority of passengers are from the U.S. For a Baltics cruise, there are probably more Europeans (just guessing, I don't know). So for Caribbean sailings, have a few American micros. For European sailings, have more European macros.

Archived