CRAFT BEER LOVERS - How do we get NCL to stock our beers?

rikatine

When we get to a beer festival again (GBBF keeps clashing with our cruises :() I intend to try her with some mild and porter as an educational exercise ;).

Not going to the GBBF? Tony manages the bookstall there you could have said hello.

At least I get to drink quality beer here in Kinver, I think I may have to stick with Diet Pepsi and Martini's on our cruises. Can't see NCL stocking any decent UK brews.

I did try Blue Moon on the Epic, it wasn't bad but they sold out.

I would gladly pay a $2 corkage per bottle so that we could bring our own selections. If they do it for wine why not for beer?

Also, just as they have a 'wine' bar on many ships, one pub could house all the interesting beers, that way they wouldn't need a huge inventory to offer it at every bar but those of us who crave something different (better) would know where to go.

NCL, I'm not cruising till March so find a way to get some better beers!

Oh thanks for the correction! I thought it was so interesting to learn how the big companies squeeze out all the little guys, and even produce there own "micro" brews that are so inferior. So many points hit home for us.

It was kinda funny when we saw adverts from the old A-B scoundrels as they poor-mouthed micro breweries and touted their 'great American lager' while simultaneously launching the Michelob 'craft' beer lineup.

It is kinda sad that with the death-grip they had on market-share and distribution they couldn't keep their house in order and are now owned by the Belgian group. Aannndd, it is ironic that Belgians, who have a style named after them and (reportedly) more breweries than any other country are now the producers of such awful stuff as Bud,Bud Light,Bud Ice,BudLight with lime flavor:eek:,and horror of horrors-Mich Ultra, for those who think Corona Light has too much flavor.

I would gladly pay a $2 corkage per bottle so that we could bring our own selections. If they do it for wine why not for beer?

Also, just as they have a 'wine' bar on many ships, one pub could house all the interesting beers, that way they wouldn't need a huge inventory to offer it at every bar but those of us who crave something different (better) would know where to go.

NCL, I'm not cruising till March so find a way to get some better beers!

We would gladly pay corkage. Imagine the revenue they don't have to buy it or stock it and they don't already sell it so....

It really is a missed opportunity for NCL.

Was available on the Star in 2008 but absent from the Pearl in 2009. Shame as we were looking forward to it as it was quite drinkable.

Well if I go on my Alaska cruise next year I have a contact at their Juneau HQ, so I guess it's just going to be my own private shore excursion.

(Not that there's a whole lot more to do in Juneau, from what I hear!)

Been watching this thread grow the last few days. I love it. I do think NCL or any cruise line is missing an opportunity. They should definitly be reading this thread, and be willing to try to diversify their brews. I'm sailing out of NYC this summer, and something from Brooklyn Brewery would be nice. A nice Lake Placid Ubu would be even nicer

Been watching this thread grow the last few days. I love it. I do think NCL or any cruise line is missing an opportunity. They should definitly be reading this thread, and be willing to try to diversify their brews. I'm sailing out of NYC this summer, and something from Brooklyn Brewery would be nice. A nice Lake Placid Ubu would be even nicer

Oh yes......got one in my beer of the month club shipment this month. Excellent. But unfortunately, all these micro brews have such limited distribution, and limited capacity to bottle that it is hard to ever find one again after you've enjoyed it so much. And...I guess the logistics for NCL and the rest of the cruise ships to find and stock them in any quanity would be difficult. And.....other than you and me......and some NYC folks, don't know how many other pax would be willing to give one a try. Would be nice though.

I was thinking Brooklyn out of NYC could be doable. They have gotten pretty big I think as far as distribution goes. I think it would be fine to have it in just one place, and let people know that it is in limited quantity. We would be there like moths to the flame. Every time we cruise, we scope out the beer selection at all the bars within the first couple hours of boarding. Just in case by some miracle there is something decent.

Well all this beer talk has us thirsty, so we are going to break open a growler of Hop Bomb that we picked up in Buffalo. Craft beer is everywhere now. We plan whole vacations to enjoy American Craft Beer and interesting new places.

This thread has made me think that perhaps I might want to visit the US at some point. I had the impression that beer = Bud (blergh) in the US and that finding a decent drop of beer would be a complete nightmare. It sounds like things might be beginning to change:D.

Now if cheese was to follow this trend...

This thread has made me think that perhaps I might want to visit the US at some point. I had the impression that beer = Bud (blergh) in the US and that finding a decent drop of beer would be a complete nightmare. It sounds like things might be beginning to change:D.

Start in Vermont (my close neighbour to the south) Magic Hat, Otter Creek, Long Trail, Harpoon, Rock Art, Trout River, Fiddlehead, just to name a few. These are the breweries, they each make a selection of products. Burlington has a waterfront Brewfest and Stowe does too.

Then of course there are all the brew pubs in Vermont that sell their own product.

You are right, now we can work on cheese.....

I hope you do. There are many great beer offerings even in NYC. Beer bars etc. There are many great cities to visit including Portland OR, Asheville NC, San Diego CA and many more.

I hope NCL recognizes that they could attract a whole group of people that have yet to even have their first cruise much less seasoned cruisers that are left wanting on their cruises.

DW is from New York (still needs educating in the finer arts of beer tasting however).

She visits from time to time and complains bitterly about the border controls amongst other things. I get the impression that visitors are generally tolerated rather than welcomed by the powers-that-be.

When the US starts to make visitors feel a bit more welcome at the borders I shall think about it.

Meanwhile I shall do my bit to keep the UK micro breweries in business!:D

We have microbreweries all over the country. When you visit the US you can certainly find some very tasty non-swill beer. You won't see a lot of tv ads for them. Even the hinterlands have breweries.

In UK, alcohol advertising on TV is basically non-existent. Almost, by definition, if a brewery advertised on TV it would not be a micro-brewery.

If they need to advertise it, the product is probably sh*t. Word of mouth/electrons is the most reliable recommendation IMHO.:D

In UK, alcohol advertising on TV is basically non-existent. Almost, by definition, if a brewery advertised on TV it would not be a micro-brewery.

If they need to advertise it, the product is probably sh*t. Word of mouth/electrons is the most reliable recommendation IMHO.:D

Aha! That explains all of the ads for BudLight and Coor's Light!!! Since we know it's that item that you mentioned, the tv ads confirm things.

The micros don't have the capacity nor the distribution network to get their stuff all over the country.

Shewt, here in the US, we advertise everything.....ambulance chasers,lotteries,booze,pubic-hair trimmers (ads featuring lawn-mowers):eek:

We've got TP ads that confirm what we always thought bears did in the woods.

I

I hope NCL recognizes that they could attract a whole group of people that have yet to even have their first cruise much less seasoned cruisers that are left wanting on their cruises.

If they really wanted the beer drinkers they would not only have to offer some more interesting brands BUT offer some better beer specials. The helmets aren't really a good deal when you compare to other cruise lines.

Any beer with light/lite in its name is immediately crossed off the tasting list!

My personal lifestyle decision is:

If it needs advertising it is crap - I won't buy it because it has an extra in the price to cover the advertising spend.

I am a grumpy old git who likes what he likes and refuses to be told by stupid advertising 'executives' what he should like. A decent product should sell itself on quality and value for money - marketing - pah - I sh*t it!

Just got back from vacation and saw this thread. I would LOVE to see some select micros onboard, or NCL allow pax to bring some favorites on board. On Epic I muddled through with Newcastle and Sam's, and ventured out into some local brews in Roatan as well (don't ask).

I'd gladly pay $10 corkage to bring on a growler of IPA or Stout from Abbey Brewing there in Miami. Hell, it might be worth me hauling something from Stone, Ballast Point or Green Flash out from San Diego.

The last couple of weeks in Hawaii I drank varieties from Kona Brewing. It wouldn't surprise me if the POA stocked some of that beer as it's very popular on the islands and fairly good. I enjoyed the Lavaman Red and Black Sand Porter, and I got lucky one night when they cracked open the barrel aged vanilla porter. Thought I died and went to heaven.

Love this thread. Wonder if NCL will listen and let us bring some brew on.

What I hate is when big brewers market something as if it were a craft beer. Coors makes Blue Moon, and while it's better than the average weasel urine it's sure not a good Belgian.

I'd gladly pay $10 corkage to bring on a growler of IPA or Stout from Abbey Brewing there in Miami. Hell, it might be worth me hauling something from Stone, Ballast Point or Green Flash out from San Diego.

STONE? Did you say STONE?? Aaaah, their IPA...ooooh.... Now all of you are really getting me thirsty for good beer. Not only am I going to be a week on NCL without it but I live in Utah!!! Well, at least I won't have the same withdrawals symptoms as most of you upon boarding.

One thing you must remember is the cruise lines are going to market beers based on their bottom line. DH and I have always said ads are ways of brainwashing people to a certain product, thus the popularity of Bud, Coors, etc. You see an ad enough and their jingle sticks in your head like krazy glue as much as you don't want it to.

As someone who over the years has come to enjoy all the wine offerings out there, my favorite winery is Hazlitt up in the finger lakes. I barely see NY wines in our liquor stores here much less expecting a cruise line to carry any.

What I hope for all you beer lovers is that NCL's public relations folks are reading the posts. You all seem to be open to trying crafted beers, not any one particular brand. It would be nice if they would bring on at each specific embarkation point a crafted beer from the surrounding areas. Like one poster said Brooklyn. That would work as well as brewers from surrounding states. Keep these beers at one specific bar (like with the Jewel in Maltings).

Personally something like this would be a win-win for both sides. You beer lovers get to tantalize your taste buds with new flavors, the cruise lines don't have to order a huge case count that they need to find room for and they're going to increase their bar revenue. People like yourselves who will not spend your hard earned dollars on the beer on board are a market the cruise lines are missing right now. They wound up with fosters, boddingtons, bass, etc. because somewhere along the line a lot of people wanted it. My goodness when we sailed the Crown Princess in 2007 they were in an area where Coors light sells like crazy and they didn't have it on on board. I can tell you they lost a lot of money on my husband. (yes, I know swill beer:D)

Just keep the posts coming, maybe someone at NCL is watching;)

STONE? Did you say STONE?? Aaaah, their IPA...ooooh.... Now all of you are really getting me thirsty for good beer. Not only am I going to be a week on NCL without it but I live in Utah!!! Well, at least I won't have the same withdrawals symptoms as most of you upon boarding.

We could plan a whole cruise around Stone!!:)

Archived