Adventures with D & E photos and review-- Carnival Ecstasy October 16-21, 2010

txlnghrn79

This is the review of our first cruise! I know we are a "little" late getting this out but as I said....our FIRST cruise!! :D So, here we begin with a little glimpse into our lives... The Adventures with D & E (Dustin and Erin)! I hope you enjoy reliving our cruise as much as we do! Any comments or questions welcome! So here it goes, Dustin and I walked into a travel agency in March of 2010 and were greeted by the worlds best TA, Beverly! We wanted to go on a trip but wanted to get the most "bang for our buck" and not feel like a tight wad! Beverly handed us a few booklets on cruises and mexican resorts. She said she loved going on a cruise and would highly recommend it. After a few weeks of thinking and budgeting we decided on a cruise. This cruise would change the way we looked at vactioning altogether. (Our next cruise is booked and paid for in December and this time we have hostages:p) Please be patient with our review as it may take a few days to complete since I, Erin, the wife has to do the writing! Pics to follow!!

Day 1: October 15, 2010.

We got started much later than anticipated. I had to work. We wanted to photo document our every moment but as you can see with how long it has taken me to write this review... I am a little forgetful. We do not have MANY pictures on our way to galveston! We left Fort Worth about 3 pm and stopped in Conroe to eat dinner with my parents. My dad talks more than me so the conversation went into the 9 o'clock hour. ;) We headed towards Galveston on I45 and were greeted by a beautiful sign as I have a very active sweet tooth!

IMG_0634.jpg

We finally made it to Galveston at 11:30 pm. We stayed at the Baymont on Seawall Blvd. We paid $59.00 on hotwire. We thought about staying somewhere else but we wanted to save as much money as we could for the cruise! We did not take a picture of the hotel as it was so late and D and I wanted to get up bright and early the next day!

Day 2: October 16 - Embarkation Day!

I would like to say that we slept well and woke up bright and early but, for D especially, he cannot sleep if something new is in the air! His anticipation for this trip was great and the excitement spilled over to me as well. We barely slept and were up and dressed by 7 am. Baymont has a continental breakfast and we knew we were going to need fuel for the long day ahead!

IMG_1752.jpg

Hi, I'm Erin!

IMG_1754.jpg

Hi, I'm Dustin!!

IMG_1755.jpg

The waffle was great by the way!

So, we were off to explore the island and get to the port! We arrived at the port at 8:30 and this is what we saw...

IMG_1757.jpg

Beautiful! Huge! OMG! These were the thoughts that soared through my brain! We had never seen a cruise ship up close and the anticipation to be on something bigger than the Titanic was incredible! I know that the Ecstasy is one of the smaller ships but it had my attention. I can only imagine how I will feel on the Triumph in December of this year!

The only problem...

We were completely lost as to what to do. We drove around and finally got the guts to stop and ask! The porter was nice and assured us that we could leave our bags and go park. Dustin had booked parking with Galveston Park and Cruise. ($40.00 for 5-days... and for those of you lucky enough for a 7-day it was $60.00) Another plus for this garage is that it is located across the street from the terminal so it was easy in and out.

IMG_1756.jpg

This was our vans vacation destination for the cruise. It was locked nightly and there were no opportunities for theives or curious on-lookers to puruse our van! Very cool.

So this sets up the beginning... more to come soon! :cool:

So after we dropped off our bags we went and parked. We walked across the street to the terminal.

IMG_1760.jpg

The only thing left to do was get in line! We just happened to be fourth! :) Being the people person I am, I passed the time by chatting with the people around me. We met a very nice couple, Rebecca and Michael and their daughter Victoria from Wylie, Texas. Rebecca and Michael had cruised before but this was their daughters first cruise. They were eager to assist us newbies in the ways of cruising and we were eager students! We chatted through waiting, security, and boarding. They were great! Once we were on the ship it was time to explore and take some pictures! They directed us to the Lido deck were lunch was ready.

IMG_1765.jpg

IMG_1768.jpg

IMG_1766.jpg

IMG_1770-Copy-Copy.jpg

Hotdogs and hamburgers were the common fare and boy were they tasty! We also heard the buffet was available but we were enjoying taking in the sights to much to leave the Lido just yet!

So, in Galveston it is not only a cruise port but a working port. These are some of the "working" sights you would see in our port. It may not be pretty or what you thought a cruise review should contain but this port helps our economy and I am proud of it!

IMG_1774.jpg

IMG_1776.jpg

IMG_1784.jpg

On the port side of Galveston you can see a mix of industrial, resturants and retail.

IMG_1787.jpg

IMG_1788.jpg

IMG_1789.jpg

IMG_1790.jpg

view from the Serenity!

IMG_1791.jpg

There were several people on the dock looking... or more like longing to be with us. Maybe they were lucky enough to be catching the next ship coming in. Whatever or whoever they were it was fun to wave at them!

It was finally time to go to our room. Our room was on the Upper Deck (U16) port side with port holes.

IMG_1795.jpg

We also had a very nice surprise waiting for us when we got to the room. The gift was from our TA, Beverly, with a little note to enjoy our cruise!

IMG_1793.jpg

We knew there was no way we could eat it on our own so we made a date with our new friends, Rebecca, Michael, and Victoria for cake after muster! It was awesome and my sweet tooth was very happy! :D

While we were in our room our luggage arrived and D begin taking self protraits with a few props from the room!

IMG_1799.jpg

IMG_1801.jpg

Bill board worthy? I think so!!

Then it was time for muster and a meet on the deck to wave goodbye to the USA and hello to Mexico!

So, after the Muster drill and a slice of the cake in our stateroom, it was time to say goodbye to Galveston and the USA! I don't remember what deck we went up to, but we went up to watch the sail away.

IMG_1808.jpg

IMG_1816.jpg

Some of the people who joined us to watch the sail away.....

IMG_1814.jpg

Since we were cruising alone as a couple, we had to find someone to take a pic of us, this is the only pic of us together on our own camera, any other that we may post will be Carnival official photos...LOL

IMG_1811.jpg

IMG_1807.jpg

So after the sail away it was time for dinner. We wanted to get ready and be at the dining room early because we didn't know what to expect and we had early dinner (6pm). We were guided to a table with three other couples that were cruising alone as well. It was nice that Carnival took the time to seek out other couples with common ages, etc to ensure that we had a nice evening at dinner. D and I also think we had the best seat in the house as we had full advantage of a sunset over the water every night!

IMG_1833.jpg

IMG_1834.jpg

IMG_1835.jpg

After dinner, D and I enjoyed a stroll around the top decks. D is obsessed with the whale tail and you will find many pictures with it in them for proof! lol It was romantic to take in the sounds of the water and the lights of the ship.

IMG_1839.jpg

After the stroll we did a quick peek into the karaoke lounge and then headed to bed. The anticipation of the trip had finally caught up with us and we need to sleep! Upon entering our room we found "Ralph!" We placed him on our ledge under the portholes and there he watched over us as we slept!

IMG_1841.jpg

Day 2 - Day at Sea - October 17, 2010

We woke up around 9AM (no sunrises for us...lol), and immediately started taking pictures of the water; such a stark difference from Galveston Bay water!!!

The Music coming from the Lido deck caught our interest and we went to investigate. There we found it to be hopping with activity. The Carnival staff did a nice arrangement of music and fun without being too invasive. The Omelet station was awesome!

IMG_1845.jpg

IMG_1848.jpg

A few hours later we noticed the water had gotten even more blue and we had to take another pic. Standing on the deck watching as we sailed along was breathtaking and peaceful!

IMG_1853.jpg

This was one of our favorite "bar" stops. As we are not big alcohol drinkers, we would stop and use our Soda card for the best "Shirley Temples" around.

IMG_1857.jpg

We really enjoyed the different names for all the places on the ship! Here is one photo of showing all the places on this deck!

IMG_1859.jpg

Day 2 - Evening - Elegant Night

Since this was the elegant night dinner, we decided to go to our cabin and get ready early. Ladies, my dress was only $39 from Dillards, cruising in the fall gets you some really good deals on formals. We clean up nice, huh?

IMG_1868.jpg

IMG_1870.jpg

On our way to dinner we saw the Capitan and some of the officers greeting cruisers. We did not stop and talk to them but we plan to on our cruise in December! Then the "real" capitan, Fun Ship Freddy showed up and started taking pictures with the guests!

IMG_1873.jpg

IMG_1874.jpg

We had the added bonus of having about 60-75 Red Hat Society ladies sitting very near us in our dining room. They added alot to the entertainment value of our dining experience and cruise in general. Here is a photo of just some of these great ladies!

IMG_1876.jpg

As I have been writing this review, I realize that I need to take my camera with me to more places.....and definantley intend to on our next cruise. I think this was the comedy night and we attended both the family friendly and the "R" rated show. Both were very funny and entertaining.

After this we decided to call it a night since we had our first of two ports in the morning......PROGRESSO, MEXICO. We walked to our room and were greeted by "MR. BIGS".

IMG_1890.jpg

Day 3 - Progresso, Mexico - October 18, 2010

We woke up this morning and looked out our portholes and we saw that we had arrived in Progresso. We got up and got dressed and went out on one of the decks to snap some pictures.

IMG_1893.jpg

IMG_1897.jpg

IMG_1898.jpg

We had booked the Corona beach break the previous night, so we got off the ship and headed to meet up with others who had booked as well. There were dancers and singers who were performing at the entrance to the shopping.

IMG_1906.jpg

I just had to take a pic of the whole ship, even if her aft was showing! LOL. Then I turned and decided we needed a pic of the long pier that we had read so much about before we cruised.

IMG_1911.jpg

IMG_1929.jpg

Day 3 cont. - Progresso - Corona Beach Break

Progresso has a law that forbids anyone from entering the city on foot so you must take a bus or some other transportation on the over 1 mile long pier into Progresso. Thankfully our excursion included a bus in as well as a great tour guide who gave us a little insight into the city. When you arrived at the Beach Break it was at a resturant that had tables and chairs outside as well as in doors. We chose to be near the action. They provided music, group activities and free alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks!

IMG_1933.jpg

IMG_1937.jpg

The only negative was the food was not included. It was discounted tho. This next pic was our waiter and our delicious food!

IMG_1938.jpg

IMG_1939.jpg

IMG_1940.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

Up next will be our review of the extra fun you can have on this excursion.

Progresso - Corona Beach Break

Dustin quickly noticed that there was jet ski rental available. After lunch we walked down to the water to see what trouble we could get into. D paid $40 for 30 minutes. He could have stayed out all day but was satisfied with what he was able to do. They did give you a certain area with a few restrictions to ski in. It was just enough tho.

IMG_1954.jpg

Next, it was time for me to "have some fun". I loved the braids they put in my hair. I was able to wear them for two days before I got bored. lol

IMG_1981.jpg

D also bargained his way into this hand spun hat for $10 and even got a shot of tequila (unopened bottle of course) for free from a road side shop. D and I also have a collection of shot glasses from every trip we have taken in the last 5 years. Harley Davidson seemed to catch our fancy even though we know their is not an HD store in Progresso.

IMG_1982.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg

We were so worn out from the excursion and sun filled day that our afternoon nap went into the evening and we missed dinner in the MDR. We got a slice of pizza and then walked around the deck. We thought the posting of the nautical miles of our trip was cool.

IMG_1986.jpg

When we came back to the room we were greeted by "Boo-Ray" the stingray. We wanted them to keep all of our towel animals up but they broke down the first nights animal to create this.

IMG_2001.jpg

Up next, Cozumel! Stay tuned!

Archived