Sapphire or Golden to Hawaii?

Bxc53

We are looking at the Hawaii Itineraries for Spring 2012 out of LA. Both itineraries are the same, so the question is which ship?

We have been on RCCL and Celebrity the last few cruises and are looking at balcony cabins. We did sail on the Sapphire in '07 but I understand it may have been updated?

What are the Pros/Cons for each ship and and suggestions for cabin selection?

Thanks!

There was a recent thread that went into quite a bit of detail on this topic. Here is a link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1440025&highlight=golden

I would always choose the Golden for this itinerary because of the wonderful Hawaiian cultural program provided by the outstanding CD David Cole and the wonderful team of Elua.

There was a recent thread that went into quite a bit of detail on this topic. Here is a link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1440025&highlight=golden

I would always choose the Golden for this itinerary because of the wonderful Hawaiian cultural program provided by the outstanding CD David Cole and the wonderful team of Elua.

Thanks! Guess I should have done a search :o . I hope for some cabin suggestions too.

We're booked on Sapphire April 2012 for our 3rd Hawaii cruise. Sapphire is getting upgrades in Jan. so she will be comparable to Golden.

We are in a balcony on Baja deck--the balconies are fully covered, but I think smaller. I have a photosensitivity so we wanted full cover.

Son and DIL are on a much lower deck and in an inside cabin, which was much cheaper.

We have a pretty good roll call for our April 14, 2012 cruise.

Pat

We are looking at the Hawaii Itineraries for Spring 2012 out of LA. Both itineraries are the same, so the question is which ship?

We have been on RCCL and Celebrity the last few cruises and are looking at balcony cabins. We did sail on the Sapphire in '07 but I understand it may have been updated?

What are the Pros/Cons for each ship and and suggestions for cabin selection?

Thanks!

Just to throw another option in, you might look at the Star out of San Francisco, March 2012:)

Debr

Just to throw another option in, you might look at the Star out of San Francisco, March 2012:)

Debr

Thanks, we did look at it but it's currently a significant jump in price for one more cruise day. Coming from Seattle, it's an airline flight either way. We do like SF though :)

Thanks all! We are leaning towards the Golden. Any more room suggestions? Does the Golden have some 'exposed' balconies like the Sapphire? We would like to have a covered one.

Thanks all! We are leaning towards the Golden. Any more room suggestions? Does the Golden have some 'exposed' balconies like the Sapphire? We would like to have a covered one.

All Dolphin deck mini-suites have exposed balconies. Caribe deck balconies are half-exposed, half-covered.

Thanks for the deck/balcony info. Would the Baja/ Aloha/ Lido baclonies then be fully covered?

Yes, but the Caribe deck balconies are twice as large as the balconies on Aloha, Baja, and Lido. The Caribe balconies are half covered/half uncovered so you have as much covered area on a Caribe balcony as you do on the Aloha, Baja, and Lido balconies, plus a lot of additional space.

My wife and I sailed on the Golden and had a Mini-Suite in the 300 section on the Dolphin deck and it was nice with a huge balcony that sits above the lifeboats so you have nobody below you (outside cabins w/windows set back). I looked at the deck plans again because I don't remember the rooms on the Caribe deck having a balcony as large. Did not mind the partial exposure as it made for a nice sunlight in the early afternoon.

CM

My wife and I sailed on the Golden and had a Mini-Suite in the 300 section on the Dolphin deck and it was nice with a huge balcony that sits above the lifeboats so you have nobody below you (outside cabins w/windows set back). I looked at the deck plans again because I don't remember the rooms on the Caribe deck having a balcony as large. Did not mind the partial exposure as it made for a nice sunlight in the early afternoon.

CM

Yes, the Caribe deck balconies are even larger than the Dolphin deck mini suite balconies. However, while Caribe balconies are twice as large as the Aloha and Baja balconies, they are only slightly larger than the mini suite balconies on Dolphin deck.

Archived