E. Carribean with a 5 year old

boisegirl1

Hi all--this is my first post and my first cruise! The planning process has been a bit overwhelming! We typically vacation in Mexico each year, but wanted to branch out and try a cruise this year, but are having a hard time narrowing down what cruise line, etc. to pick. My 5-year old's requirements are a fun waterslide, waterpark, swimming pool..see the theme here! She loves the water and the beach! My hubby's requirements are an open dining plan, balcony room, and decent sized accomodations. He'd prefer alcohol be included, but I've already let him know that's not an option! Like I said, we've been to Mexico several times, so that's why we picked the E. Carribean itinerary..we are looking to go in early Jan. but I'm really lost on best cruise lines, etc. I don't want to say we have an "open" budget, but I'm looking more for advice on best bang for your buck. Is Disney really worth the extra money..are we better off getting a nicer room on a Carnilval cruise? That type of help would be great! Thanks in advance for your assistance..as you can see I'm completely lost on where to start!

Since this is your 1st cruise, I think any of the ships (with waterslides!!!!) will suit you just fine. In reality, they are more alike, than different. I'd try to book the largest cabin I could afford, on a ship that went where I wanted to go. A good travel agent can be your best friend, if you aren't already set on a specific ship or cruiseline.

Go see one...you'll get brochures and deck plans, and can get a feel for which will be best for your family! All of the mass-market lines now have some form of "anytime" dining, so that shouldn't be a great issue. Some cruiselines do offer alcohol "packages", so you know what you'll be spending upfront...however, unless you drink A LOT, they won't be budget friendly!

In the meantime, start researching the ports you'd like to visit....beaches are public and don't require excursions! Saves a bunch of $$$$!

Archived