Carinval Glory - NYC to New England... A Memoir

Delta Hotel

Dear DH, and most certainly ShakyBeef -

Just a note to say thank you for providing me with many hours of happy reading...I had the best time reading this wonderful review of your family's adventure! :)....and I wish you many more!

Hey! You're welcome, and thanks for the kind words! Not to change the subject, by your signature is REALLY intriguing... I'd like to hear some of your story =)

DH

well, I planned on doing a review for my upcoming cruise...

perhaps I will add a pre-amble with a bit of my background and how I got to be where I am....

the link in my signature is my first attempted review with a bit of info of what I was doing last year, but not so much.

a few more months and we might be having this conversation again LOL

• 2 weeks later...
We are waiting for your review on your January cruise. Did I miss it?:(

Hey Mama!

No, you didn't miss it... I won't be writing a review/memoir for this past cruise.

However, I've decided that I'm going to write my autobiography! And seeing as how I'm only 32 years old and have the vocabulary and writing skills of a 5th grader, it should be a quick read.

It might be a good long while before I can find the time to write another cruise memoir. I'm terribly sorry to dissappoint anyone =(

DH

Hey Mama!

No, you didn't miss it... I won't be writing a review/memoir for this past cruise.

However, I've decided that I'm going to write my autobiography! And seeing as how I'm only 32 years old and have the vocabulary and writing skills of a 5th grader, it should be a quick read.

It might be a good long while before I can find the time to write another cruise memoir. I'm terribly sorry to dissappoint anyone =(

DH

Well, when you do, be sure to post a link here so your followers can find it!

Well, when you do, be sure to post a link here so your followers can find it!

If I ever finish this thing, and remember to do so, I'll post a link to it... assuming that this thread isn't archived by then. I mean, if it took me 6 months to write about my experiences over the course of 5 days, I can't imagine how long it'll take me to write about the last 30 years. I'll be lucky to finish writing about my first 30 years before I'm dead. Honestly, I have no idea what I'm getting myself into, but it's "something exciting and new".

Read that last sentence again, but this time read the part in quotes with that voice from the Love Boat theme =)

• 3 months later...
DH; Thanks for your great story. I spent the better part of the last 24 hours reading the whole thing.

What a way with words.

It was really good.

Thank you! and You're welcome! I enjoyed writing it, so everyone wins =)

Hey everyone, now that this memoir has officially come to an end, I thought I'd share some of the statistics that I've been tracking:

Date of Original Post: July 13th, 2011

Date of Last Post: January 8th, 2012

Total Days Lapsed: 179 Days

Thread Posts: 635

Thread Views: 68,266

Total Memoir Words: 107,391

Total Pages (MS Word): 267

Negative Posts: 0

Delta Hotel

I just noticed that there have been 16,860 views on this thread since the memoir was finished. That surprises me! I figured that it would just have disappeared into the deep, dark, depths of the CC boards, never to be seen again.

I just noticed that there have been 16,860 views on this thread since the memoir was finished. That surprises me! I figured that it would just have disappeared into the deep, dark, depths of the CC boards, never to be seen again.

Your name (and that of Shakey Beef ;)) came up recently in a thread here...along with a link to this memoir! I read it through, as it was being composed, but since the recent re-mentioning, I've bookmarked it...so I can enjoy it again at my leisure!

How are you guys doing? We miss you! :D!

Your name (and that of Shakey Beef ;)) came up recently in a thread here...along with a link to this memoir! I read it through, as it was being composed, but since the recent re-mentioning, I've bookmarked it...so I can enjoy it again at my leisure!

How are you guys doing? We miss you! :D!

Aw, thank you! We're well, thanks. We'll be cruising next month and, who knows? Maybe DH will get the urge to write a "review" about that cruise.:p

Aw, thank you! We're well, thanks. We'll be cruising next month and, who knows? Maybe DH will get the urge to write a "review" about that cruise.:p

I sure hope so! I loved the memoir too, I spent two hours yesterday reading it all and laughing my rear off. You and your delta hotel are SO funny, it was really enjoyable.

Have a great time on the Pride next month (one of my favorite ships).

-Sharon-

I sure hope so! I loved the memoir too, I spent two hours yesterday reading it all and laughing my rear off. You and your delta hotel are SO funny, it was really enjoyable.

Have a great time on the Pride next month (one of my favorite ships).

-Sharon-

Thank you!

Wow! You read it all in just 2 hours? That's some serious speed-reading!:eek:

Can't read it, not enough paragraphs.

Well, I must admit that I've read this one comment about 20-30 times trying to extract the subtle meaning.

Here are two of the possible meanings, as I see them.

"Can't read it, not enough paragraphs." Could possibly mean:

1. You have a personal standard for reading reviews or memoirs, and anything that has less than 500 paragraphs in total is too small of a review, and therefore not worth reading. Of course, the number of paragraphs could vary depending on your personal taste. I just picked 500 out of the blue. Since I don't have a speedy way of counting the paragraphs, I have no idea how many actual paragraphs there are. This isn't one of the statistics that I was tracking.

2. You prefer to have more breaks in the writing to help you keep your place in the text. I personally hate it when I'm reading text on a large monitor and the auto-wrapping text seems to go on forever, and then when you finally get to the next line, you've lost your place and have to start over again. In this case, I would recommend that you resize your internet browser window until the width of the window is approximately 1,000 - 1,200 pixels wide. That seems to be a common and comfortable reading width. If you're reading on a phone, iPad, or small tablet, you may not have this choice. Oh well.

Well, thanks for stopping by anyway!

DH

Edited by Delta Hotel

DH,

Absolutely LOVED the memoir.

Found the link through a thread called "What's your Favorite Carnival Review Thread on CC? And this is now my favourite! Love your sense of humour, amazing writing style and all the little details that we all really want to know.

Are you sure that you are not Canadian? :)

And I haven't forgotten you Beef ;). Editor extraordinare.

We want another one, we want another one, we want ....

So glad I read your reviews, will be my first cruise Thursday and I had many questions answered, I guess Id better bring some white noise for the nieghbors, good news is we have 2 connecting rooms, no balacony to avoid smokers, can only hope for no drunks, screaming children, or fights, but it is only a short cruise, what can possibly go wrong...ha ha. I will go thru internet/cell phone withdrawal I hear the prices are crazy... is that true ? How will I live without my 100 emails a day of someone tyring to sell me something... last question.. are tips automatically placed on your room charge the last day and if so how much per person ? Thanks again, enjoyed ALL of the pages, and I read them ALL !!!!:)

So glad I read your reviews, will be my first cruise Thursday and I had many questions answered, I guess Id better bring some white noise for the nieghbors, good news is we have 2 connecting rooms, no balacony to avoid smokers, can only hope for no drunks, screaming children, or fights, but it is only a short cruise, what can possibly go wrong...ha ha. I will go thru internet/cell phone withdrawal I hear the prices are crazy... is that true ? How will I live without my 100 emails a day of someone tyring to sell me something... last question.. are tips automatically placed on your room charge the last day and if so how much per person ? Thanks again, enjoyed ALL of the pages, and I read them ALL !!!!:)

Hi! Thanks for reading! Congrats on your first cruise! (That's a lot of exclamation points!)

Yes, Cellular At Sea and the ship's internet service are expensive. I turn my cell phone off while on the ship.

The Internet Cafe is an option if you must have email while onboard. We have never used it, but many people do. Here's some info about it from Carnival's website:

http://m.carnival.com/onboard/cruise-entertainment/internet-cafe.aspx

The comments section of that page seems to be the most helpful, with people discussing internet package prices and their experiences with it and tips.

Yes, gratuities are automatically added to your Sail & Sign account for each passenger before the end of the cruise (I keep thinking I have seen them show up on the second day). The rate is $11.50 per person, per day. You can pre-pay them through Carnival, before the cruise if you want to.

Have a great cruise!:)

I'm happy that you enjoyed reading a small chunk of my life. I hope you thoroughly this.

Where is your cruise to/from? I didn't want to assume that it was the Carnival Glory (since you didn't actually specify). The internet on the ship is expensive, and slow. It's satellite based, so there's always a noticeable lag time when browsing. I've read and heard that the speeds are somewhere in the 200Kbp/s to 800Kbp/s range, which is way better than dial-up, but slower than just about any modern high-speed connection. If you have a laptop, wifi enabled tablet, or smartphone with you to check emails, you can do it in the various ports.

In every major port, you can find wifi "hotspots" where you can get your emails and stuff. I put "hotspots" in "quotes" because they're usually just unsecured wireless networks from nearby "houses" or "businesses".

If you're desperately in need of internet service while in port, I would recommend that you keep an eye out for young, fashionably dressed, sunglass-wearing, spikey-haired crew members that have time off - and ask them where you can get wireless. In most ports, you'll find some of the crew members with their laptops huddled around the free wireless areas.

Glad to have you!

DH

DH you silly guy !! :) Im going on the GLORY of course on Thursday and work is killing me you are so fun to read.. witty humerous and even make fun of yourself ! I will search for those cruise members , I will be in a manual wheelchair.. besides the hell and stress at work I have hurt my back, can't walk, have to bring mountains of pillows for positioning in bed, and pain killers, muscle relaxers, heating pad, and dont have a handicapped room... just think of all of the fun... I can't wait... I can just picture this now... Thanks for the advice.. work is in survery from the DOH who is exiting quess what day, the day I sail of course !!!!!! Thanks a bunch.. gotts go and take some Flexoril.. work just called and I have to go wheel on in ,,,, NADINE

One more question, DH what did you with your laptop Leave it hidden in your room, got a good spot ? Maybe I'll just bring the Nook tablet, less expensive to lose eaiser to hide.. I'm such a New Yorker, so synical all I can think of is thieft.. and GOd my spellong is terrible.. maybe less Lortab would be better ..eh...

DH,

Found the link through a thread called "What's your Favorite Carnival Review Thread on CC? And this is now my favourite! Love your sense of humour, amazing writing style and all the little details that we all really want to know.

And I haven't forgotten you Beef ;). Editor extraordinare.

We want another one, we want another one, we want ....

Thanks!:)

And also, thanks soooo much for calling me Beef.:mad::p

One more question, DH what did you with your laptop Leave it hidden in your room, got a good spot ? Maybe I'll just bring the Nook tablet, less expensive to lose eaiser to hide.. I'm such a New Yorker, so synical all I can think of is thieft.. and GOd my spellong is terrible.. maybe less Lortab would be better ..eh...

Oh my... I do sincerely hope you feel at least a little better on the cruise! Other than my general mental instabilities, I've (thank God) never been injured or on heavy medication while cruising.

As for your question - no, I don't have any good hiding spot for my laptop(s) while out of the room. I bring entirely too much electronic crap to try and hide it all. I just leave it out on the counter or tables and take a leap of faith in believing that most people are still mostly good, most of the time. Sure, I've been burned by this thinking a few times, but it makes the rest of the time much more pleasant. Here's a picture of my typical setup in a cabin. This picture is from a different ship, though.

Nd3_2635.jpg

So, the short answer is, no - I don't have a good hiding place. If I had to quickly come up with one, I would bring a small elastic cargo net (the kind designed for cars and trucks) and create a little suspended pocket on the bottom side of the bed, since the beds are all tube-steel and slat construction. Wow! I just surprised myself with how cool that is! I'm SOOOO doing that next time. Althought that could be tough for someone who's heavily medicated and in a wheelchair.

DH

DH,

Thank you for the kind words, and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

No, I'm not completely sure that I'm not Canadian. Although I was present for my birth, I wasn't paying attention at the time, and it's possible that I was born in Canada and my parents lied to me. Totally possible. It turns out that they lied about a lot of things when I was little =)

DH