Cell Phone Use In Alaska Ports

NoPepper

Hi All,

According to Verizon's coverage maps, there is plenty of coverage in the various ports that the Regatta will dock at in Alaska. Does anyone know if you can connect via the "regular" cell connection if onboard the ship (when it is docked) rather than via the ship's cell signal which costs an arm and a leg? Trying to figure out if I will have to leave the ship to make my calls.

I think that they turn off the ship's signal when in port; if this is the case you should be fine without leaving the ship. Your phone may tell you whether you're connected to the ship's signal, or a land-based signal - my Blackberry tells me the actual name of the mobile network that it's connected to which makes it easy. On non-smart phones you may have to look at the roaming indicator to get an idea of what network you're connected to.

I think that they turn off the ship's signal when in port

That is correct, the ship must turns off its' apparatus when within 2 miles of port, but in my experience they don't wait that long and do it even further out at sea.

Hi All,

According to Verizon's coverage maps, there is plenty of coverage in the various ports that the Regatta will dock at in Alaska. Does anyone know if you can connect via the "regular" cell connection if onboard the ship (when it is docked) rather than via the ship's cell signal which costs an arm and a leg? Trying to figure out if I will have to leave the ship to make my calls.

We had no trouble using our cell phones on Regatta in Alaska in May-June.

As soon as you enter port you will get your normal connection.:)

Archived