Whale watching - could we have been any luckier?!

susieh

Just got back from Alaska on Celebrity Infinity. I think we used up all our luck for this year!!

On the way to Juneau we saw dozens of Orcas from the ship. Then we did a whale watching trip in Juneau and at one point were surrounded by a pod of 40 Orcas. Then we saw 5 or 6 occurrences of Humpbacks bubblenetting. Saw more Humpbacks and Orcas on the way back down to Seattle.

The naturalist on the ship (Brent Nixon) and the naturalist on our Whale watching trip (Charlotte) were both brilliant.

Only negative now is that we are going to Orlando next month and I am having serious reservations about going to see the whales (and to a lesser extent the dolphins) in SeaWorld.

Just got back from Alaska on Celebrity Infinity. I think we used up all our luck for this year!!

On the way to Juneau we saw dozens of Orcas from the ship. Then we did a whale watching trip in Juneau and at one point were surrounded by a pod of 40 Orcas. Then we saw 5 or 6 occurrences of Humpbacks bubblenetting. Saw more Humpbacks and Orcas on the way back down to Seattle.

The naturalist on the ship (Brent Nixon) and the naturalist on our Whale watching trip (Charlotte) were both brilliant.

Only negative now is that we are going to Orlando next month and I am having serious reservations about going to see the whales (and to a lesser extent the dolphins) in SeaWorld.

Wow, you certainly were lucky! Good for you. It's really something to be close to them on the water and hear them breathing and singing, isn't it?

When people talk about seeing the orcas in SanDiego, I think about them being captured and taken from their natural habitat. So I don't blame you for having second thoughts about a visit.

"Zoos" are cruel to animals... better to see them in the wild.

Brent Nixon is fantastic, I've been on a couple of cruises with him as the naturalist.Once word gets around ship his shows were standing room only.

Do you remember which cruise lines he goes with? Our school district in southern california has flown him down two years in a row to give talks to the kids. He is amazing! I would be thrilled if he boarded our ship (Sea Princess), but I have a feeling we won't be so lucky.

How exciting! I will be on a cruise in a week with a stop in Juneau. I would like to know if your tour was arranged from the ship or independently off the ship? Thank you!

We were so lucky this week too and also saw the bubble netting going on several times! It was the most amazing thing to hear the whales as well as see them. They are so majestic.:)

How exciting! I will be on a cruise in a week with a stop in Juneau. I would like to know if your tour was arranged from the ship or independently off the ship? Thank you!

Tour was with Allen Marine - arranged through the ship. It was an all female crew and they were great.

Brent is apparently signed to Celebrity this season (and was last year). I don't know if he does other cruise lines too

Do you remember which cruise lines he goes with? Our school district in southern california has flown him down two years in a row to give talks to the kids. He is amazing! I would be thrilled if he boarded our ship (Sea Princess), but I have a feeling we won't be so lucky.

When I originally sailed with him it was on Princess but believe he has been with Celebrity for quite a while now.

Found this with a quick search. http://naturetalksbybrentnixon.com/index.html

Archived