no luck on guarantee assignment

britannia56

we just got our a4 assignment and it's not an upgrade. in fact, had i just accepted the original offer, we would have been in a better location.

does anyone have ideas about what i can do to improve our location.

incidently both of us are diamond [the highest] members of cwc.:confused:

we just got our a4 assignment and it's not an upgrade. in fact, had i just accepted the original offer, we would have been in a better location.

When is your sailing? Is there not time for the assigned stateroom to change?

Hi Britannia. What guarantee category did you book & what ship? How far out is your voyage?

Without knowing that info, the first suggestion that comes to mind is that you could call your travel agent and ask if there is any chance of a further upgrade, or if you could purchase an upgrade. -S.

You booked and paid for an A4 guarantee?

And received an A4 cabin?

I'm sorry, I don't see the issue. You have what you booked.

WD

If you read the advice most often given on these boards about the wisdom of booking a guaranteed cabin, you will find that it is that you must be content with the grade of the cabin that you have booked and be happy when you receive a better grade cabin on allocation or when boarding. This is probably not what you want to hear but now the only option is to buy a better grade cabin from wherever you originally booked or hope for a visit from the upgrade fairy but he/she is not always co-operative.

From reading this board it would seem that guarantees and upgrades are two of the great mysteries of life, there would seem to be no guarantees and very few upgrades in relation to the amount of passengers carried.:confused:

While I don't know the particulars of OP's booking, on QM2, it is possible to book a guarantee category below category A4 and be assigned an A4 OBSTRUCTED view balcony. Technically, this is an upgrade, but in-hull balcony cabins (categories B5 through B1) have UNOBSTRUCTED views. Personally, I don't consider A4 and upgrade from any B category, but, unfortunately, that's the risk one takes when booking a B category guarantee.

Just to add that since ANY category guarantee below A4 could be upgraded to A4, perhaps those who book an inside or window cabin guarantee would be very happy with a A4 upgrade - and in those instances, it seems worth the gamble.

While I don't know the particulars of OP's booking, on QM2, it is possible to book a guarantee category below category A4 and be assigned an A4 OBSTRUCTED view balcony. Technically, this is an upgrade, but in-hull balcony cabins (categories B5 through B1) have UNOBSTRUCTED views. Personally, I don't consider A4 and upgrade from any B category, but, unfortunately, that's the risk one takes when booking a B category guarantee.

Just to add that since ANY category guarantee below A4 could be upgraded to A4, perhaps those who book an inside or window cabin guarantee would be very happy with a A4 upgrade - and in those instances, it seems worth the gamble.

But the OP booked an A4 guarantee. So I don't understand the relevance of the B grade guarantee point you make.

WD

But the OP booked an A4 guarantee. So I don't understand the relevance of the B grade guarantee point you make.

WD

You might feel certain that the OP booked an A4 guarantee, but I am not certain. Sorry you don't understand the relevance of how one could arrive at an obstructed view cabin when booking an unobstructed view guarantee, but perhaps it might have meaning to those who might be unaware that this could happen. I wouldn't want others to be as unhappy/surprised with an A4 cabin assignment as is the OP. Just trying to spare someone pain here pal.

You might feel certain that the OP booked an A4 guarantee, but I am not certain. Sorry you don't understand the relevance of how one could arrive at an obstructed view cabin when booking an unobstructed view guarantee, but perhaps it might have meaning to those who might be unaware that this could happen. I wouldn't want others to be as unhappy/surprised with an A4 cabin assignment as is the OP. Just trying to spare someone pain here pal.

Quote from OP's post "we just got our a4 assignment and it's not an upgrade".

I don't see too much there that could confuse.

Quote from OP's post "we just got our a4 assignment and it's not an upgrade".

I don't see too much there that could confuse.

It does not necesarrily mean he booked an A4 guarantee, only that he was assigned an A4 cabin and did not feel an obstructed balconly was an upgrade. Hence my request to the OP for clarification of what category he booked.

Just to help clear up any possible confusion, the OP posted this a couple months ago in an earlier thread on the subject "obstructed vs in-hull on QM2".

... at the moment we have an A4 guarantee. wish us luck for an upgrade.

Regards,

John.

Just to help clear up any possible confusion, the OP posted this a couple months ago in an earlier thread on the subject "obstructed vs in-hull on QM2".

Regards,

John.

Hi Bluemarble. Yes, thanks for your research, that does remove any doubt in my mind that the OP booked an A4 guarantee, which is what he has been assigned.

To the OP: my earlier advice that you call your travel agent to discuss any possible options remains unchanged. Best of luck, I hope things work out for you.

Regards,

Salacia

sorry i was so unclear about details. i always forget something.

we're on qm2 on 25 aug, transatlantic. and yes, we did book a4 guarantee.

my problem is that i'm an eternal optimist, with absolutely no basis for my optimism.

personally, i'm happy to be aboard ship, but think how much happier i would be with an upgrade.:rolleyes:

.. had i just accepted the original offer, we would have been in a better location...incidently both of us are diamond [the highest] members of cwc..

From the way I read this, you initially had a specific A4 but then decided to book the guarantee instead and hope for an upgrade? From your OP, you specifically mentioned that you were Diamond CWC. I took from that that you were suggesting that your business was somehow not appreciated.

Or were you offered an upgrade but turned it down because there was something about the location that you did not like? Once you turned it down it went back into "inventory". Cunard considers an upgrade any grade higher than the guarantee grade. Therefore if you now have an A4 with a lovely broadside view of Lifeboat #2 they can't move you to a B.

Archived