Black Falcon Pier to Quincy Market

mfabz

Does anyone know how to take public transportation from the cruise pier to Quincy Market?

I know our ship probably has a shuttle service, but at $15.00 roundtrip, that can get expensive for a family of 7. Thanks

You can take the Silver Line from Black Falcon to South Station. When you get off the bus, go all the way to the right and follow the signs to Red Line direction Alewife and go down 1 flight of stairs. Go to the front of the platform (to the right) and take any train 1 stop to Downtown Crossing. Follow the signs to Orange Line Oak Grove and take that train 2 stops to Haymarket. This will put you close to Quincy Market. On the way back you can take any subway train in the downtown area, but you must take the SL2 Silver Line bus to get back to Black Falcon.

Look at www.mbta.com for a "T" map. Also print out a map of that area of Boston. If you have children, 2 children 11 and under can ride free with a paying adult. If you wander away from Quincy Market there is likely to be a subway station nearby that you can access to get back to the ship.

If you buy a Charlie Card ahead of time, you will pay $1.70 instead of $2/ride. There's a number on this site to contact about this - https://commerce.mbta.com/

I believe that Old Town Trolley is still the only company that picks up at the pier. Some folks have commented that the harbor cruise was time consuming - it leaves only once an hour and takes 45 minutes.

If you're planning on a full day touring and just looking for a Boston Harbor water experience, I would suggest the following. Take the trolley from stop 17a to Fanueil Hall where you switch to the main trolley route - this process is faster if you prepurchase and print your ticket online. Skip Fanueil Hall (not too interesting first thing in the morning) and take the trolley through the North End (getting off if you like) and on to the Constitution. Check out the Constitution area and then take the MBTA water shuttle ($1.70) back through the harbor to Long Wharf. Do Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall and stop for lunch. Walk through the market to Stop 5 at State & Congress to pick up the trolley for the rest of the route. IMO the trolley route back from the Constitution on Causeway, Merrimac, and Congress Streets is not very interesting and you won't miss anything.

Thanks travelbig, It looks like there are several HOHO trolleys that include the harbor cruise. Is this one the only one that picks up near the pier? Do you reccomend this company over the others? Thanks!

This is the only HOHO that picks up by the pier. It also has the largest traveling route. We liked it a lot. If you want a HOHO that will last all day (lots to get off to see), then I would recommend Old Town Trolley.

As 138east states, if you are by Quincy Market at lunch time - that is the place to go for lunch. :D

If all you are looking for is transportation to the Quincy Market area, then I have read on here that a taxi is $15 one way. Don't know how big the taxis are, though, and you have 7. Maybe someone on here can tell you if any of them are vans. Once you are in the Quincy Market area, it is very easy to walk and sightsee and very easy to get on the Freedom Trail.

If you take a taxi and want to pay by credit card ask before you get into the cab. Cabbies are not required to take credit cards.

Boston is a very walkable city. The city has a great subway system which is easy to navigate. The Silver Line (which is really a bus) to South Station may be the best way for you to get from the Terminal to downtown. From there you can walk up the harbor to the North End (Italian district, Paul Revere House & Old North Church) or follow 138East's directions to Quincy Market. From Quincy Market you can walk across the Rose Kennedy Greenway to the North End.

Or take the Red Line from South Station and get off at Park Street. You will be a the Boston Common, State House and can easily walk thru the Common to the Public Garden and the Swan Boats (my favorite activity). You will be near "Cheers" and also a short stroll to the Charles River & the Esplanade.

Or if you are baseball fans if the Red Sox are out of town you can take a tour of Fenway Park (take Red Line to Park Street, change to Green/Riverside Line, get off at Kenmore (not Fenway) and walk to Fenway Park. What ever you do Boston is a great city. No matter where you go there are plenty of things to see and lots of places to eat.

Do cabbies hang out at Black Falcon to take passengers into town, like to Quincy Market?

To answer your question, yes and no.

When ships arrive, Massport always has someone outside directing guests to cabs and there is usually a fair amount of them. However, as the day progresses, you will find fewer and fewer cabs waiting at the pier. If I had to guess, I'd say after the first 2-3 hours or so of debarkation, the number cabs decreases.

A couple of things that we found in june. Old Town Trolley didn't operate from the pier until after we wished to begin touring, so you might wish to call them and check on the timing of your ship's arrival and when you wish to disembark. Also, we found that a cab was about the same price for our family group i.e. compared to public transportation to the New England Aquarium/Old Town Trolley terminal near the Marriott Longwharf. This is conveniently located near the North End, Faneuil Hall, etc.

Oh, another note about cabs, if there are 6 or more of you ina single cab, e.g. the mini van type, there is a surcharge.

Have fun in Boston!

Just back and a cab will be readily available and will cost less than $15 each way, you'll need 2 for your group. A lot cheaper than the RT shuttle and no fuss at all. Enjoy! DMaugle

Good to know and we'll probably do this. Thanks for this helpful info!

Where do you want to go on the Silver Line? The Silver line is accessible because it is new, but if you transfer to other lines, there are stations with accessibility issues.

If the person in the wheelchair is ADA certified, you can apply for the RIDE. Do it quickly because it takes 3 weeks and then you have to make reservations.

http://www.mbta.com/riding_the_t/accessible_services/default.asp?id=7108

Beginning in 2007, the local one-way fare for each registered passenger is $2.00. If you are traveling with a Personal Care Assistant, the PCA is not charged a fare. THE RIDE is also available to ADA certified out-of-area and/or out-of-state travelers visiting the area. Some documentation is required. Visitors, please make advanced arrangements by calling (800) 533-6282 in-state toll free or (617) 222-5123 or TTY (617) 222-5415.

In order to use THE RIDE you must complete and submit an application. Per ADA regulations, 21 days is allowed to process applications upon receipt. Only completed signed original applications, mailed to the address below, will be considered for review. You will receive written notification of eligibility via U.S. mail.

Download THE RIDE application - PDF version | WORD version

Or contact the Office of Transportation to request an application.

MBTA Office for Transportation Access

10 Park Plaza - Room 5750

Boston, MA 02116

(800) 533-6282 in-state toll free

(617) 222-5123

TTY (617) 222-5415

Looking forward to riding the Boston "T" once again. 138 East your exact layout will be really helpful. Just to clarify, this is all by subway, correct? You mentioned 'bus' so just curious, but we are willing to take either to get to Quincy Market and the area that we want to explore.

Thanks again :)

You can take the Silver Line from Black Falcon to South Station. When you get off the bus, go all the way to the right and follow the signs to Red Line direction Alewife and go down 1 flight of stairs. Go to the front of the platform (to the right) and take any train 1 stop to Downtown Crossing. Follow the signs to Orange Line Oak Grove and take that train 2 stops to Haymarket. This will put you close to Quincy Market. On the way back you can take any subway train in the downtown area, but you must take the SL2 Silver Line bus to get back to Black Falcon.

Look at www.mbta.com for a "T" map. Also print out a map of that area of Boston. If you have children, 2 children 11 and under can ride free with a paying adult. If you wander away from Quincy Market there is likely to be a subway station nearby that you can access to get back to the ship.

If you buy a Charlie Card ahead of time, you will pay $1.70 instead of $2/ride. There's a number on this site to contact about this - https://commerce.mbta.com/

I did the New England/Canada cruise Sept 2009. I walked the few blocks to get the bus to the silverline. As we walked to the bus 4 other people joined us as they were doing the same thing. I asked the bus driver some directions before we looked for the red line. The transit workers were very helpful. Don't be afraid to ask questions. If you aren't sure as you make your way ask another worker. If you don't ask you will spend more time back tracking any mistakes. I also had detailed maps including one I printed from T on line. I used a highlighter to show the route.

Sali

The key is to never go through an exit. The transfer to the Red Line at South Station is clearly marked - you want to take an Alewife train. The Silver Line is a bus, but it's a modern bus. It has it's own right of way for some of the route. It has a low step access and is actually much better than the Green Line trolley.

Archived