Need recommdentions for Tour Company Naples

Iceman-007

I would appreciate recommendations for a non private Naples Tour company, since I can't afford a private tour since it will be just myself and my girlfriend

There are three HOHO bus routes which will show you the city well. Good commentary and as it is recorded, you don't hear any language other than your own. Open top buses, and we very much enjoyed the two routes we did.

We'd done Ercolano in the morning, which is very well worth visiting - more compact than Pompei - and which can be done by train (the stop is Ercolano Scavi) or, if you are feeling more flush, by taxi from the port.

Remember to fit in Galleria Umberto I and buy some pastries - I recommend the sfogliatella which are wonderful. The Galleria Umberto I is breathtaking as a shopping centre - and eating your sfogliatella in a cafe there is well worth doing (buy some more for when you get back on board!)

There is plenty to do in Naples cheaply and easily and you do not need the universal answer of "Rome in Limo" that this board seems to supply. The city is wonderful and although - as with any large city - you want to keep your wits about you - it is safe.

Obviously you will have pizza for lunch. That's a no brainer. Napoli is the home of Pizza!

WD

I would appreciate recommendations for a non private Naples Tour company, since I can't afford a private tour since it will be just myself and my girlfriend

Are you asking about a tour of Naples itself or the ruins in the vicinity? If it is the latter, you can join one of Context Naples tours to Pompeii. Not cheap, but you're paying for a very high level or expertise on the part of the guide. You'll be using the same train route that DIY'ers will be using.

Remember to fit in Galleria Umberto I and buy some pastries - I recommend the sfogliatella which are wonderful. The Galleria Umberto I is breathtaking as a shopping centre - and eating your sfogliatella in a cafe there is well worth doing (buy some more for when you get back on board!)

Try both the hard and soft versions of sfogliatella to pick a favorite. Remember, calories don't count when you are eating in the name of scientific research.

In Galleria Umberto, you'll find a kiosk in the courtyard named "Sfogliatella Mary." This place along with Scaturicchio (Piazza S. Domenico Maggiore 19) vie for the number one sofgliatella maker in Naples. Gambrinus (Piazza Trieste e Trento), a lovely turn of the Art Nouveau-styled cafe also gets good marks but I didn't think their version is the equal of the two I've mentioned. However, this is the place to choose when you need to sit down and want to do so in a pretty setting either inside or out. Neither Scaturicchio nor Sfogliatella Mary offers anything in the way of ambiance or even seats. Incidentally, Scaturicchio servces amazing freshly squeezed orange juice.

There are three HOHO bus routes which will show you the city well. Good commentary and as it is recorded, you don't hear any language other than your own. Open top buses, and we very much enjoyed the two routes we did.

We'd done Ercolano in the morning, which is very well worth visiting - more compact than Pompei - and which can be done by train (the stop is Ercolano Scavi) or, if you are feeling more flush, by taxi from the port.

There is plenty to do in Naples cheaply and easily and you do not need the universal answer of "Rome in Limo" that this board seems to supply. The city is wonderful and although - as with any large city - you want to keep your wits about you - it is safe.

Obviously you will have pizza for lunch. That's a no brainer. Napoli is the home of Pizza!

WD

Is it easy to get there from the cruise port? How do I get to a pickup up point.

I heard that sometimes it is full, so the driver will driver right by you. Is this a common occurance.

Well, here is my two cents worth......

First - go to your roll call. See if there is a private tour booked that someone wants to share. Best of both worlds. Private tour but at a much more reasonable cost. We have done this a couple of times...... worked out great and saved us big bucks.

Second - contact APTours as they will also put together a group cruise for the day. This is similar to the first option except the tour company will keep a list of those wanting to share a tour and put a group together.

There is so much to see and do in this area (besides Naples) that you will want to explore all the possibilities for your day. good luck !

Second - contact APTours as they will also put together a group cruise for the day. This is similar to the first option except the tour company will keep a list of those wanting to share a tour and put a group together.

This post just caught my attention ....

I"m trying to get into a private tour to visit the Amalfi coast (Positano, Ravello, Sorrento without Pompei) with NO luck.

I really was not aware of that option... so I"ll give a try.

If you can get on one of the AP Tours that do shared tours, I would recommend that. We put together several from our roll call and did a private tour with them. I am sure it is the same tour and it is outstanding. They provide a tour with a licensed guide to walk Pompeii with you, bring you to Positano for a good amount of time on your own, then to lunch at a nice place in Sorrento and then the guide will walk Sorrento with you for the remaining time. It was one of my favorite days on our cruise last summer.

Archived