NCL Undercover Boss

lilcruzr

Just got back from the 7/3 Spirit cruise, he was on the ship! Met him and sang the praises on the Spirit staff to him, here's the wife and the boss givin' a thumbs up to the Spirit

I am glad you had a great time on The Spirit. Did you get a chance to talk to Kevin beyond singing staff praises (thank you for that by the way)? I would to know in Paul Harvery's words, "The rest of the story". Tomorrow's episode is a re-run of the January show, put I would hope that they would put an update on the end of it. I would like to know if Sylvia got her wedding on the Epic. In addition, I would to know what he really thought when she said, "Sir Kevin Sheehan". I am still laughing about that one. Especially on the Epic, I am really surprised that he had not heard it before she said it. Kevin being on The Epic was not a total surprise, the Hotel Director knew. When Kevin went looking for her, you could see the HD in the background laughing. Mandy

Notice that Mr. Sheehan refers to passengers as "customers" rather than "guests" - perhaps a subliminal difference but I think it can affect how the staff views the passengers. Also the so-called "ice rink" which has, I believe, has now been eliminated from the EPIC. Hard to believe it took a visit by the CEO for them to recognize what a folly that was, and that Sheehan hadn't realized it before coming on board for the TV show.

Cheaperts--That is sooo cool!! Was he on the ship all week, or jsut for a segment or while in port or something? What was his purpose being on the ship? Did you recognize him? (A million questions!) :D

We were told he came on board while we were in Cozumel, day 5? We actually saw him having dinner at the next table in La Tratoria that night with all the Exec officers and captain, we recognized him them, he got away before we could get a pic and meet him but we did get the picture with all the officers. The next day we went to the Q&A with the captain and officers, and he spoke about the 2 new ships, we got him right after his little talk. We saw him several times that day just walking around, eatin wings in blue lagoon, looked like every other tourist! Nice guy very humble, most probably never knew who he was.

The show was somewhat interesting, but its seems on every Undercover Boss the CEOs wind up giving awards to every employee that is lucky enough to be in the show.

That is part of the show's formula and happens on every episode along with the employee who has a heartwarming personal story that the 'boss' uncovers. Just how "undercover" the boss really is, is debatable though on some episodes certain employees must be totally oblivious as their behavior would seem to justify their immediate dismissal. This was not the case with the NCL program but it really shouldn't have taken his appearance on this show, for him to become aware of some of the obvious problems on EPIC, for example the "ice rink".

Saw this last night and thought it was OK. On some of the Undercover Boss episodes there is a problematic employee or some issue with the company service that is sorely lacking. In this case, all the crew featured were model employees and the service issues (ie. the skating rink, the waiver form) were pretty minimal. The lack of anything really negative made the show less dramatic and made it seem a bit puffy in favor of Norwegian. It was a good promotion for NCL and they're offering 'specials' tied to the show:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=UndercoverBossPromo

I have not cruised on Norwegian and am not that familiar with their product, but it does seem like a line targetting younger, more active cruisers (ie. rock climbing walls, water slides, basketball courts). Having just come off a Princess Cruise, I found the difference in the ships interesting (Ruby Princess had a 'white hot party' too, BTW).

As the waitress Silvia said, "The most important thing is knowing that I had been heard. It was wonderful to have a voice and be able to make a change." I think this is an issue that pops up frequently on Undercover Boss (and the real world). Every company has dedicated employees with good ideas on how to improve things--but who is listening to them? I was slightly surprised when Silvia revealed that she wanted to marry her girlfriend--but was happy that they chose an out lesbian (and person of color) as one of the featured employees. I think that reflects well on Norwegian.

Guess I am late to the party just having seen this on my Tivo. Anyway, I have to give the CEO credit for being on the show. It is a tough position to be 'under the microscope' on network television.

The major difference in this episode compared to other ones was the lack of history concerning NCL. Other episodes started with how the company was founded and gave you the background on their early beginnings. This episode just said something about being the first cruise line to have a private island. No mention of the Sunward from the 60's or the Norway in the 80's which was the first mega-ship of it's time. No mention of it's Norwegian roots before the hostile takeover by Star Cruises at the turn of the century. Only could see the model of the Norway in the background in Mr. Sheehan's office. No verbal mention whatsoever.

Truthfully, not too surprised considering NCL being under Apollo. A private equity group is not too concerned about the past accomplishments of the company and what made it unique. Buy a distressed company at a good price and flip it a few years later at a profit.

Archived