Pearl 7/24/2011 Missing Juneau

ammcem

Someone on their roll call came up with a brilliant idea. Have the fix occur in Juneau. This solves multiple problems. Skagway is very close to Juneau so they could leave Juneau during the middle of the night and still make it to Skagway on time.

The last time we were in Alaska in 05 one of the Carnival ships was stuck in Juneau for an extra day for a propeller repair. Many of the passengers were not happy about being "stuck" in Juneau, but then I wasn't sure what other port or sailing they were missing.

We were on that Carnival sailing in '05. Being 'stuck in Juneau wasn't a problem. :)

Most passengers were unhappy at not being informed there were prior mechanical issues upon boarding. Several passengers commented on the ship's major vibration as we set sail, but it was only after many of us realized we were missing the glacier sailing that Carnival shed light on the problem. We missed Sitka and our glacier day completely, and Ketchikan time was shortened. Carnival refunded only port charges for Sitka (in the form of OBC) and called that our compensation.

The vibration and decreased stabilization caused horrible motion sickness among many passengers as we limped across the rough waters of the Gulf from Whittier to Juneau.

What I took from that first Alaskan cruise is this... book cheap, book inside, take what you get for the itinerary, expect only to get from point a to point b. Going with that in mind, we've not been disappointed again! :)

Had we been offered Carnival incentives/compensation, we would've tried 'em again for Alaska. They did not, so we have not, and will not. Nor will we for any exotic destination.

We're now looking forward to our 5th Alaskan cruise (booked with NCL) next year!!!

I don't think the ship should sail until they are absolutely sure it is repaired. They should cancel the whole trip, fix the problem, then run sea trials before they let one more passenger on.

Obviously the problem isn't that drastic so why would they do that?

I don't think the ship should sail until they are absolutely sure it is repaired. They should cancel the whole trip, fix the problem, then run sea trials before they let one more passenger on.

You run a business of any kind??

Bottom line, if you think that way, you probably shouldn't cruise.

Do you realize how many things can go wrong to upset your itinerary??

Weather

Mechanical issues

Medical emergencies

Jumpers

Ports suddenly becoming dangerous

Port workers going on strike

I am sure there are more reasons as well.

And this stuff happens all the time. You can't just cancel entire cruises....that is utterly ridiculous.

Well I leave tomorrow morning for Seattle and then Sunday for my first Alaskan cruise. Although disappointed about Juneau, there is nothing I can do about it- I felt we did what we could about the situation. I will take my $150 OBC and have a few drinks with my family(11 of us going), and enjoy seeing this beautiful state. I think we will have a great time.:)

Well I leave tomorrow morning for Seattle and then Sunday for my first Alaskan cruise. Although disappointed about Juneau, there is nothing I can do about it- I felt we did what we could about the situation. I will take my $150 OBC and have a few drinks with my family(11 of us going), and enjoy seeing this beautiful state. I think we will have a great time.:)

That is a great attitude. I hope you have a wonderful cruise. We were on the Pearl last August to Alaska and I loved the whole cruise. I am glad that you will be able to go to my favorite place on Earth, Glacier Bay. This was an experience that I will never forget.

Seattle is a wonderful city. There are so many things to do and good places to eat along the waterfront. Ivar's Acres of Clams is on Pier 54' a short walk south of where The Pearl is docked. It is a Seattle landmark since 1938. It is next door to the ferry system terminal and the fireboat house. Warning fireboats are very noisy. The downtown Monarail terminal is not far from the ship and it is a short ride out to the Seattle Center and the Spaceneedle. If it is a clear day, the view from the top is not to be missed. I hope you have a wonderful time both in Seattle and on The Pearl. Mandy

I doubt that very many people who are booked on the sailing you're suggesting they cancel would agree. Ships often sail with similar problems.

If you check CC you will see that ports are missed on a regular basis by all cruise lines. You are going to get all 7 days of you cruise with all meal and entertainment. The only thing lacking is one port. What would you have them do? They didn't say the ship could not sail until it was fixed, they said they needed to get the part and it will arrive in time for your cruise. Someone was going to take a hit. I don't understand what everyone wants them to do for you? Please explain what you think would be fair.

If you left as scheduled you would be sailing at night without much to see. You will still be onboard with all your meals and entertainment (upgraded entertainment). You get a nice OBC, half price dining if you want. And future credit. What would you like???:rolleyes:

Missing Juneau is a huge deal. The Mendenhall Glacier and Visitor Center are the absolute highlight of any cruise to Alaska.

We were on that Carnival sailing in '05. Being 'stuck in Juneau wasn't a problem. :)

Most passengers were unhappy at not being informed there were prior mechanical issues upon boarding. Several passengers commented on the ship's major vibration as we set sail, but it was only after many of us realized we were missing the glacier sailing that Carnival shed light on the problem. We missed Sitka and our glacier day completely, and Ketchikan time was shortened. Carnival refunded only port charges for Sitka (in the form of OBC) and called that our compensation.

The vibration and decreased stabilization caused horrible motion sickness among many passengers as we limped across the rough waters of the Gulf from Whittier to Juneau.

We encounter several that were on our Orca Enterprises whale watching tour with Capt Larry. That wouldn't be you would it??

We encounter several that were on our Orca Enterprises whale watching tour with Capt Larry. That wouldn't be you would it??

No... though I wish it had been. Whale watching is on the agenda for next May! We spent our full day with Adventure Bound going into Tracy Arm to the Sawyer Glaciers. Fabulous excursion!!!

Congratulations on graduating nursing school! I hope your August Alaskan celebration cruise is wonderful. After all you've been through as a nursing student, you deserve a week of pampering. :)

And I do hope those who are disappointed with the itinerary are able to make it back to Alaska sometime... you can't see and do everything in one trip - even if your itinerary goes exactly as planned!

I agree that this is a sucky situation all the way around. If I were on the cruise I'd be disappointed too, but I would also make the most of it.

Those who are "stuck" on the Pearl in Seattle today are getting to be part of our best day of the year so far. It is 83 in Seattle (first time it's been over 80 this year for more than just a few short hours.) The sky is blue with a few puffy white clouds and the water activity abounds. I could think of worse things than being "stuck" on a cruise ship in a beautiful city in beautiful weather.

I would also venture a guess that the NCL staff on board the Pearl is bending over backwards, even more than they usually do, to make it as enjoyable as possible during this out-of-the-ordinary event.

I can only imagine the partying that is going on right now on the pool deck. We saw the Pearl, but weren't close enough to hear the music.

These folks will also have the chance to do a few things around Seattle that they may not have had the chance to do otherwise.

Yes, I'm sorry they are going to miss Juneau, but it could be worse.

Archived