Quick question about tipping

jeanniedc

I've tried searching this board, but can't seem to find the specific answer to a quick question:

I am using Romecabs for 3 different transfers related to my cruise (airport-hotel, hotel-port, port-hotel). I was quoted a flat rate, of course. At the end of my ride, do I need to tip the driver? (ie - is that expected for a service like a transfer as opposed to a tour?)

Thank you all very much.

I know I always tipped our Rome in Limo drivers, even when they were just picking up for airport transports etc. I tipped the short jaunts that were one place to one place 15%. The longer tours with several stops, including photos, 20%.

I would assume it similar with Rome Cabs.

We use RomeCabs for all our transfers. Although no tip is required, I always give at least 15% because they are on-time, very friendly, professional, and they handle our bags. The drivers are very appreciative.

I didn't even think to calculate what per cent we were tipping. I usually just gave 5 EUR. For some that were only 30 EUR guess that would be the 15%, but for the one that was 60 EUR, they didn't even get 10%, because I usually just gave 5.

Only place we exceeded that was our all day excursion in a taxi in Naples. It was 200 EUR to go to Pompeii and Sorrento. We gave him 40 EUR tip, so he got 20%. It was the absolute best day of our 21 day trip. Like watching Lives of the Rich & Famous, only we were living it.

It's really up to you, what you are comfortable with. If they did an excellent job, don't be afraid to show it, but if they did a terrible job, it's not necessary to give anything.

Have a great trip!

It is perfectly acceptable to tip at the 10% level in Europe.

Most Americans overtip since that is what they are used to doing at home. In Europe the tipping culture is different and fewer people give or get tips at all.

There is no set amount you need to give.

For going to and from the airport I might add 5euro for a tip.

What I think you need to keep in mind is that North America's tipping culture is the exception rather than the rule. To put it another way, in most of the world locals do not tip anywhere near as much as in the US and Canada.

i would say 10%is enough, even in the u.k.most of us tip taxi drivers, even if its only rounded off to the nearest £.

as for myself i usually round it off,i.e.if fare was £4-75.i would give driver £5 then £1 coin.

Archived