Tipping...

TexasRon

I'm not your "case in point", sir. Sometimes someone else grabs the bill and, after a bottle or two of wine, I might forget to jump in and add extra to the tip. The server doesn't get "screwed"--they still get the automatic 18%--they just don't get the extra we add for servers who split the bill for us automatically. I am not a good tipper--that is for the servers to determine, not me--but our regular servers get upset if we end up seated in a different section. We ask for them and sometimes get "misguided" by someone telling us they are not around. I do always correct that--and I started looking at the chart to see who is on while I am talking to the hostess.

Don't be so hasty to judge someone you don't know without all of the facts. It tends to detract from the good points people make here.

Example--I have changed what I am doing based on the comments in this thread. The people who took the time to show me why I should leave the auto tips and then tip extra on my own have convinced me that is the way for us to go. That is the good in these type of boards. The negativity just goes along with it because people can hide behind their keyboards and say whatever they feel.

I've been on this board a week or two, and I can tell you that everyone here is so judgmental. When people ask a question they get flamed. :(

Why not just adjust your autotips upward?

There's something weird to me about handing out individual envelopes that almost suggests a "look at my greatness and generosity, peon".

I've been on this board a week or two, and I can tell you that everyone here is so judgmental. When people ask a question they get flamed. :(

I do see more judgment of folks here than on any other board I am a member of BUT there is also a lot good info, so I'll keep coming back for cruise info. I'd like it better if folks just answered your questions and gave their opinions without telling you what you are or aren't...not too many of us know each other in any way except here on the board.

I keep it simple with the auto tip or more recently the prepaid tips.

We are not demanding and have never asked for anything extra, we keep

the cabin pretty much in order. We don't leave a list of daily chores for

the cabin steward.

They do their job, and do it up to par.

The beds and linens are changes, ice bucket is filled and the stupid towell

animals are there every night along with the chocolates and funtimes.

Call me cheap or whatever..they do their job...nothing extra and they get their suggested tip.

If we ever have the need to ask for something extra, they'll get extra.

I am not sure why everyone gets so heated on this topic. It is an OPTION to remove automatic tips. If it wasn't an option, you wouldn't be able to remove them. My husband refreshed my memory last night.... we visited guest services within the two few hours of the trip (before our first meal) and asked them exactly how our automatic tip would be broken down and to whom each amount would be given to (it is not a secret). We removed all except for the amount for the buffet staff.

Originally, our plan was to give the suggested amounts to the staff. As the week went on, our service was spectacular, and in the end we gave more than the suggested amounts.

Now, many on this thread argue "why?" wouldn't I just leave the automatic tip on and just tip the "extra" amount? Well, it is just a matter of choice. In my earlier post, I mentioned that we just wanted to hand our tips to the staff.....in my husbands "younger" years, he worked in several restaurants, and he always stresses how important it is to show your gratitude...so, it has nothing to do with making them feel like "peons" (like someone mentioned above).

Clearly, there are people who try to get away with things and must remove tips and not pay anything (and neither we nor Carnival have control over that)....but that is NOT what this thread was about when originally started.

Clearly, there are people who try to get away with things and must remove tips and not pay anything (and neither we nor Carnival have control over that)....but that is NOT what this thread was about when originally started.

Thank you for reminding some of the folks why I started this thread. I was looking for good advice and I did get a good bit of it. I also got some mild flaming and a bit of judgement along the way.

I guess some people remove the auto-tips to get away without tipping; no matter how much you "flame" someone who does that, they won't change--they might even enjoy the roasting!! The rest of us, well, we're trying to make our way in the world and asking for a little good advice along the way!!

He has already said he is going to leave the autotip on after the info he received on this board. Is it necessary to keep harping at him and not add any constructive info? Come on, guys, we were all new to cruising at one time and counted on seasoned cruisers to give us pointers.

pat

a direct response is not harping. how long have you been a board moderator?

10% of what...10% of the total cost of the trip, which was around $6,000. It is a 7 day cruise.

Type of room...Suite and an inside room, total of five people.

Cost of accommodations...well, someone is going to do just about everything but sleep, eat, and drink for me. My room will be made up more than once a day, I have a ton of choices in food, and I can get certain drinks free all the time. For the 10% I kept it simple...the total cost of the cruise.

Really? I think that is more a way to slip in a judgmental comment instead of an actual factual based statement. Does everyone who has questions about tipping tell you they undertip? Do they notify you when they don't tip? Does the cruise line give you a breakdown of how people who write about tipping end up tipping? Or do you base that on posts where people say they didn't tip?

judgemental? Hardly. we know and they know that 92% of people that remove tips end up not tipping at all. the odds are not in your favor even if you fall into the 8%, they we assume you are planning on screwing your servers.

judgemental? Hardly. we know and they know that 92% of people that remove tips end up not tipping at all. the odds are not in your favor even if you fall into the 8%, they we assume you are planning on screwing your servers.

Okay...I never said I was going to remove the auto-tips, I said that I was thinking about it. I also said, after some gave good advice, that I would not be doing that.

This isn't about what any percentage of people do in a given circumstance, it was simply a few questions so that I could determine how I am going to handle things.

We all don't "know" that 92% of those who remove the tips are not going to tip--because "all" would imply that I knew that was a fact. I'd like to know the source of the fact because it is an interesting statistic.

It is judgmental to lump someone in a group that one may never be in when you do not know whether or not they have earned membership. I have not been on a cruise; therefore, I have never removed auto-tips and subsequently short-changed the servers. You assume that... Now, if I come back from the cruise, say that I removed the auto-tip and didn't bother to tip anyone even though the service was great, then I belong to a certain group :)

Have a great day!!

a direct response is not harping. how long have you been a board moderator?

Flame away!! I enjoy the info I get from these boards and have met some great people with the like interest of cruising. I do feel that lately the board has become "catty" and posters looking for answers become barbequed for their questions! OP had a very reasonable question and has been picked apart by some for his statements.

Pat

I personally think they should abolish tipping across the board and just pay the staff better. Why do I have to pay to go on the cruise and then pay part of the salary of those who work for cruise lines? . Nobody tips me for doing my job everyday. I will leave the auto-tips, but Only because my wife makes me. Flame away, but I think people et hired to do a job, pay them for that job and be done with it.

I personally think they should abolish tipping across the board and just pay the staff better. Why do I have to pay to go on the cruise and then pay part of the salary of those who work for cruise lines? . Nobody tips me for doing my job everyday. I will leave the auto-tips, but Only because my wife makes me. Flame away, but I think people et hired to do a job, pay them for that job and be done with it.

because cruising falls under a service industry.

these people are there to serve you. Alternates would obviously take a vacation where you do everything yourself.

imagine the early days where you brought your butlers on board. hmmm. wonder who paid them?

because cruising falls under a service industry.

these people are there to serve you. Alternates would obviously take a vacation where you do everything yourself.

imagine the early days where you brought your butlers on board. hmmm. wonder who paid them?

If you go buy a pair of shoes, do you tip the guy who fitted you for them? How about the people who serve you food at McDonalds? Tip them lately? If you hired a personal trainer do you tip them? Lots of "service" type jobs out there. So who chooses who to tip ? Why not just pay them better wages and eliminate the tips all together. Their job is to serve people. I don't see why that allows them to get extra money for doing their job.

If you go buy a pair of shoes, do you tip the guy who fitted you for them? How about the people who serve you food at McDonalds? Tip them lately? If you hired a personal trainer do you tip them? Lots of "service" type jobs out there. So who chooses who to tip ? Why not just pay them better wages and eliminate the tips all together. Their job is to serve people. I don't see why that allows them to get extra money for doing their job.

I agree.

It's a shame some people don't have a wife that keeps them from being jerk and scre**ing some people out of their hard earned tips.

If they rolled it into your cruise cost the cost of your cruise would increase by that amount...really simple concept (or should be). At least with tipping, you can adjust them down for poor service and up for exceptional. I have some control as the customer.

Bottom line: It's an accepted practice in the service industry. Feel free to petition Congress to change it if you don't like it. In the meantime don't be a rebel at the expense of the hard working folks in the service industry by not tipping because you don't like it.

you really think these people you mention are hired just to serve you, the individual?

bwa ha ha ha...

and more yucks if you are comparing mcdonalds to sit down restaurant.

It's a shame some people don't have a wife that keeps them from being jerk and scre**ing some people out of their hard earned tips.

If they rolled it into your cruise cost the cost of your cruise would increase by that amount...really simple concept (or should be). At least with tipping, you can adjust them down for poor service and up for exceptional. I have some control as the customer.

Bottom line: It's an accepted practice in the service industry. Feel free to petition Congress to change it if you don't like it. In the meantime don't be a rebel at the expense of the hard working folks in the service industry by not tipping because you don't like it.

Tip or don't tip. I personally could care less what you do. I will cruise and enjoy it with a clear conscious.

Are the cruiseline employees hired just to serve you?

absolutely. Your waitstaff and room steward are yours. they are assigned to you. You have a need, it is them that take care of you. and they are solely responsible for each and every one they are assigned. kinda like the shoestore, eh?

Archived