Tipping...

TexasRon

absolutely. Your waitstaff and room steward are yours. they are assigned to you. You have a need, it is them that take care of you. and they are solely responsible for each and every one they are assigned. kinda like the shoestore, eh?

Exactly like that. I work in a specialty running store and I make sure I give everyone very specific help. I take great time to ensure they get the proper shoe for their foot type and I take great pride in that. But it's also my job and I get paid for that job. I worked as a server for 8 years and I knew what my job was and I did it well. I would have preferred to simply get a higher wage than worry about getting tips. Why is that wrong? Can't it just be opposite to your thoughts?

Exactly like that. I work in a specialty running store and I make sure I give everyone very specific help. I take great time to ensure they get the proper shoe for their foot type and I take great pride in that. But it's also my job and I get paid for that job. I worked as a server for 8 years and I knew what my job was and I did it well. I would have preferred to simply get a higher wage than worry about getting tips. Why is that wrong? Can't it just be opposite to your thoughts?

you seriously expect any of us to believe you were hired just to take care of specific customers, and there would be an industry for that? you'd go broke waiting for them to return.

nope, you were apparently an employee just hired to take care of anyone walking in the door.

newsflash: this does not fall under the service industry.

and you should have tried working at a higher ended establishment. i know three of three friends that do that, and have 6 figure salaries.

you seriously expect any of us to believe you were hired just to take care of specific customers, and there would be an indutry for that? you'd go broke waiting for them to return.

and you should have tried working at a higher ended establishment. i know three of three friends that do that, and have 6 figure salaries.

I work for a company that has 110 stores, so I guess there is a need for that.

Now, I am off to go for run :)

I know Wikipedia is not always the best source for info, but, since the thread has gotten into a discussion of what is and what is not a service industry, let's look at how they define "Service Industries":

Category:Service industries

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Service industries (More formally termed: 'tertiary sector of industry' by economists) involve the provision of services to businesses as well as final consumers. Such, therefore, include accounting, tradesmanship (like mechanic or plumber services), computer services, restaurants, tourism, etc.

Hence, a Service Industry is one where no goods are produced whereas primary industries are those that extract minerals, oil etc. from the ground and secondary industries are those that manufacture products, including builders, but not remodeling contractors.

That would make both retailers and room stewards members of the service industry; along with many others...neither produce or manufacture anything; they provide services to folks.

Again, some of you judge people as "folks who would screw hard working people" without actually thinking about the comment and commenting on why it is or isn't a good idea:

Comment: I wish the cruise would pay their people more and include all of the costs in the actual cost of the cruise.

Answer: You knuckleheaded shmuck, why do you want to rip off the hard-working people?

In a conversation with "real people", are some of you really that obnoxious, or do you discuss things, make valid arguments, and see where things end up? Suggesting that someone charge more and not count on the tips (because they are now in the salary) is not suggesting that they not tip and the workers not get a higher salary...

I personally think they should abolish tipping across the board and just pay the staff better. Why do I have to pay to go on the cruise and then pay part of the salary of those who work for cruise lines? . Nobody tips me for doing my job everyday. I will leave the auto-tips, but Only because my wife makes me. Flame away, but I think people et hired to do a job, pay them for that job and be done with it.

If they do what you suggested you will still be paying your portion of their salary since it will be added to the cruise fare. Do you really think you don't pay a portion of the captain's, officers and other staff's salaries now? All costs associated with a business are included in the price you pay. For the mainstream cruise lines the only salary costs you don't pay for are the tipped crew members.

If you don't like the tipping model that most mainstream cruise lines use then pick a cruise line (eg. Azamara, etc) that doesn't require tipping. Don't punish the hardworking crew members because you don't believe in the business model being used.

I personally think they should abolish tipping across the board and just pay the staff better. Why do I have to pay to go on the cruise and then pay part of the salary of those who work for cruise lines? . Nobody tips me for doing my job everyday. I will leave the auto-tips, but Only because my wife makes me. Flame away, but I think people et hired to do a job, pay them for that job and be done with it.

Just in case you do not know I'll say it.

When you go out to eat at a sit down restaurant near your home.. YOU ARE HELPING PAY YOUR SERVER"S SALARY. I suppose you think that if your daughter got a job as a server then nobody should give her tips. Leaving her to make next to nothing.

I've been on this board a week or two, and I can tell you that everyone here is so judgmental. When people ask a question they get flamed. :(

Dont worry about it.

I've been on these boards for awhile and get flamed:D

I stop answering once its get nasty:rolleyes:

Enjoy your cruise.:)

BTW, I always leave the auto tips and tip extra as deserved.

Rarely have not tipped extra but there have been a few times when service was spotty. And times when the staff went above and beyond.

• 4 weeks later...

As I said earlier, I decided to leave the auto-tip in place and then divvy the "extra" portion I set aside for tipping amongst those who gave particularly good service. The good advice given in this thread helped me make that decision.

Some of the "extra" $250 I tipped above the $350 auto-tip went to room service; we used them quite a bit between the two cabins over the course of the week. I tipped them each time and they never looked like they were expecting a tip--most of the time, I had to tell them to wait a second while I grabbed the money.

The rest of it went to our MDR folks and to the steward. They were great.

Thanks to those who helped answer my original post--I appreciate it!!

Archived