Long Weekend from Toronto in August

I would appreciate suggestions for a one week scenic car trip from Montreal in September.

I'm thinking of including Mont Tremblant, which I've visited in winter.

Sorry, I put this under Toronto heading by mistake. Now under its own heading.

I would appreciate suggestions for a long weekend trip from Toronto in August.

I envisage somewhere scenic on a lake, preferably basic, but a splurge would be OK.

This is a tough one. The possibilities are endless if you have a car. We live approx 90 mins from Toronto north- east on the southern edge of the Kawartha Lakes region of cottage country. Viamede Lodge, Elmhirst Lodge, Elim Lodge all come to mind as does anything on Stoney Lake. Directly north of Toronto is the very popular Muskoka region around the town of Huntsville, but I am less familiar and would have to do some research. Both are beautiful lakes areas as is the Haliburton region near the town of Minden and Haliburton. All are within a 2 hour drive of Toronto in good traffic. Traffic is the issue. On a Friday of a long weekend that 2 hours becomes 3 or 4 hours. Avoid travel on a Friday afternoon and for the first weekend in Aug avoid travel on Monday back to Toronto. Sorry I can't be more help.

This is a tough one. The possibilities are endless if you have a car. We live approx 90 mins from Toronto north- east on the southern edge of the Kawartha Lakes region of cottage country. Viamede Lodge, Elmhirst Lodge, Elim Lodge all come to mind as does anything on Stoney Lake. Directly north of Toronto is the very popular Muskoka region around the town of Huntsville, but I am less familiar and would have to do some research. Both are beautiful lakes areas as is the Haliburton region near the town of Minden and Haliburton. All are within a 2 hour drive of Toronto in good traffic. Traffic is the issue. On a Friday of a long weekend that 2 hours becomes 3 or 4 hours. Avoid travel on a Friday afternoon and for the first weekend in Aug avoid travel on Monday back to Toronto. Sorry I can't be more help.

Thank you for your advice.

Yes, we'll have a hire car. By long weekend, I meant a three day weekend (not one with a public holiday), in the middle of August. Within 2 - 3 hours drive of Toronto would be perfect, so I'll research your suggestions.

Niagara Falls is but an hour away. Have you been before. You can do it in a day easily and be up to the lake district the second day.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that we'd been to Niagara Falls last year and enjoyed it so much we extended a few days. We particularly liked Niagara Falls on the Lake, which we did on a day trip from Niagara Falls.

Thank you for sending me that link.

I've had such fun looking at the cottages, as they were just what I was looking for.

Unfortunately being peak summer season, bookings are on a weekly basis. However, I may contact some closer to the date to see whether they have vacancies and would take a two night booking.

I'd probably recommend Muskoka as well. Muskoka is to Toronto as what the Catskills are to New York. Sadly, a lot of the old wooden resorts have either burned down, or have been lost to time ... but there are a couple standouts from that era that remain -- Cleveland House (expect lotsa kids though) and Windermere House.

If you prefer a new take on the Muskoka classic, look at Deerhurst Resort (which hosted the G8 last summer) or The Rosseau.

The Rosseau is spectacular, but I like the classic feel of the Windermere hands down.

You can rent a car to come up, or alternately, take The Northlander from Union Station to Bracebridge / Huntsville and be picked up from the station.

Scott.

I'd probably recommend Muskoka as well. Muskoka is to Toronto as what the Catskills are to New York. Sadly, a lot of the old wooden resorts have either burned down, or have been lost to time ... but there are a couple standouts from that era that remain -- Cleveland House (expect lotsa kids though) and Windermere House.

If you prefer a new take on the Muskoka classic, look at Deerhurst Resort (which hosted the G8 last summer) or The Rosseau.

The Rosseau is spectacular, but I like the classic feel of the Windermere hands down.

You can rent a car to come up, or alternately, take The Northlander from Union Station to Bracebridge / Huntsville and be picked up from the station.

Scott.

Thanks Scott.

I had heard of Muskoka and the era when wealthy families arrived by train and lake steamers for the summer holidays.

Thanks Scott.

I had heard of Muskoka and the era when wealthy families arrived by train and lake steamers for the summer holidays.

The same is apparently true of the Kawartha lakes, in particular Stoney Lake. We took a boat tour of Stoney Lake a few years ago from the Viamede resort, it was very interesting. Lots of lumbering in those early years and the lumber barons apparently would entertain at their lake properties. Apparently some of their guests came from world wide countries. As mentioned access was by steamer and train. The lakes regions of central Ontario are remarkable in their beauty and expanse. enjoy your visit.

• 2 weeks later...
The same is apparently true of the Kawartha lakes, in particular Stoney Lake. We took a boat tour of Stoney Lake a few years ago from the Viamede resort, it was very interesting. Lots of lumbering in those early years and the lumber barons apparently would entertain at their lake properties. Apparently some of their guests came from world wide countries. As mentioned access was by steamer and train. The lakes regions of central Ontario are remarkable in their beauty and expanse. enjoy your visit.

I am looking forward to touring the lakes region of central Ontario and Algonquin Park.

Archived