St. Petersburg to Moscow-shopping

Hello,

I'll be going on the Gate 1 Russia cruise from St. Petersburg to Moscow.

I was wondering if anyone can give me tips or advice on souvenir shopping during this cruise. I don't want to buy a lot of stuff in St. Petersburg if there's better deals along the way or better in Moscow.

1-Is the souvenir shopping better in St. Petersburg or Moscow or at any other other ports of Mandrogi, Kizhi, Yaroslavl, or Uglich.

2-Where did you find good deals on shopping in Moscow?

2-I've heard that there was a market in Uglich where you can get souvenirs. Any thoughts about this market.

3-Did anyone visit the Hard Rock Cafe in Moscow?

Thanks for any info/tips.

Twee

All I can answer is St. Petersburg..a little..directly across from the Church on Spilled Blood is a market..they had wonderful Christmas ornaments and hand carved and painted wooden Santas etc..I believe though that I paid about $50-$75 for my Santa but I love him. Look praticularly for the painted wooden men and women in local costumes doing something traditional..Sherry

• 4 months later...

This response is probably too late to help you but maybe someone else might benefit?

We found the best selection of souvenirs in Mandrogi----it's not really a town but instead a collection of buildings and houses that were placed there. ( to attract tourists....) But there is a large selection of very well-made ornaments, wooden painted items and other artist/handmade items in several of the buildings. Very good quality and assortment. There is also a market in Uglich that had some nice items as well.

Artisan in Mandrogi...

th_DSC00688.jpg

All I can answer is St. Petersburg..a little..directly across from the Church on Spilled Blood is a market..they had wonderful Christmas ornaments and hand carved and painted wooden Santas etc..I believe though that I paid about $50-$75 for my Santa but I love him. Look praticularly for the painted wooden men and women in local costumes doing something traditional..Sherry

Our tour guide wouldn't let us go to the market across from the Church. She said it was too popular with pick-pockets and wasn't worth the chance!

Archived