Ruby Princess Big Passport Problem

irenez

Glad this worked out for the OP, and that they discovered the problem with a couple of days to work it out.

Several years ago, my mom had a business trip to Japan, and when she went to start packing the day before her flight, she discovered her passport had expired. This was on a Friday afternoon, and she absolutely had to be in Japan Monday. She did some quick calling and discovered that both NY and LA can issue last minute passports on Saturday. (She was in San Francisco).

She booked the red eye to NY Friday, got the passport, came home Saturday night and flew to Japan on Sunday. (She did NY to see my sister and her 10 month old).

Also, in 2010 I had my passport stolen in Argentina on Monday afternoon. We were leaving on the Star on Tuesday. Our local travel agent had her office nearby, so while I was at the police station, my husband went to her office, and called the embassy. They were closed for the day, but told him to get there by 8:30, get a picture taken at the booth across the street, and I should be able to make the sailing. Our TA took me for a picture near her office that day.

The next morning she took us to the embassy (got there early because the hotel concierge said there'd be lines - there were, but not for Americans), and waited for us. The whole process took 90 minutes, and I had a passport good for a year because I indicated I was going to Falklands and they had the 6 months requirement.

By 11:30 I was on the ship signing up for Chef's Table.

Just curious: why did your mom choose to fly all the way to New York rather than LA?

Archived