maderia basket ride trip

asda

we can now book our trips for our cruise in october on ventura going to the canaries, we would like to do the cable car and toboggan ride. is it best to book with p&o for £45 each or do it ourself?

We have done it twice, both times we just got the cable car up and paid for the toboggan ride ourselves, then walked the rest of the way back to town. It's a delightful walk - if a bit hard on the calves!

Absolutely no need to pay P&O to arrange it.

I seem to remember the cable car is 10 euro's one way or 15 return each

and the basket ride was 25 euro's for 2 and not each. although we did not go on it (didn't look fast enough :rolleyes: )

The basket ride is from the top of the cable car just get off and turn left.

We walked all the way back to the town from the top, it took about an hour, would have been quicker but we had to keep stopping to fend off Taxi drivers who kept telling Uus it was about 8 miles back, when actually i'd say its less than 3 all down hill.

The bum cheaks and calves were well firmed for the next few days though:D

BTW the ships free port bus drops you off next to a fort on the sea front almost opposite to the ships moorings and only a short walk to the cable car.

Hi there

After our trip last time I would definately do DIY and go early!!!!! We went on a tour and there were so many tours all going at the same time. We had to queue for about 45mins to get on a cable car and then we had to wait another 1 and a 1/2 hours for the toboggan ride. (remember it can be cold in the mountains too - I was really cold as I was wearing a t shirt. Yet it was roasting hot in Funchal!!!!) As a result of queueing so long we had about 20 mins in Blandy's wine Lodge and were back about 30mins late to the ship too!!!!!!

It seemed P and O had not staggered the coaches and all the coaches arrived at the same time - over a thousand people went down the tobbogan run that day!!!!!!

So if I were you I would check out what time the tours are going and get there earlier!!!!!

It is easy to do DIY - just walk along the front til you reach the cable car and then when you get out of the cable car follow the road to your left past the gardens and you will then get to the tobbogan run. At the bottom of the tobbogan run there are plenty of taxi's if you don't want to walk.

Hth's

Sue

Definately a DIY one - BUT, the walk back down was much much longer than I expected and my iffy knees nearly gave out so consider a taxi or bus back down the rest of the way at the end of the ride unless you have very good legs!

...BUT, the walk back down was much much longer than I expected and my iffy knees nearly gave out so consider a taxi or bus back down the rest of the way at the end of the ride unless you have very good legs!

Agreed! They cut the ride short a few years ago now; and the resulting walk is now much longer (& steeper) than it used to be. There are always taxis available at the ride's end...

Apart from that; agree with all other comments above; definitely a DIY job; get up there early; do it first, then enjoy the rest of the day in town, or grab a taxi to get you a quick tour around. In my experience, all the local drivers are keen to do this...

Cheers...

We got to the cable car at about 12 am and there were no queues, i imagine all the tours had been and gone, there was also no queues for the baskets either. The walk down is steep and constant but it is a lovely walk, next time we go we will venture off the main route now we know it only takes an hour from the top, probably half an hour from the bottom of the ride.

We were the only ship in that day (ventura) so could be alot busier if more ships are in.

Taxi's were offering us a 10 euro ride down which we declined since we want there for the walk. (not sure if that was each though)

Definately DIY, We did it 1st thing in the morning, in fact we had to wait till cable car opened. So no queues. We walked back into town & it's an easy walk but as said you do feel it in the calves for a couple of days afterwards.

Archived