Hat

I would opt for more coverage than a straw hat. I have a packable sunhat from Outdoor Research - love it.

I got mine on clearance at Sierra Trading Post, it's this hat: http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/w_s_oasis_sombrero.html

They have quite a few other options on their website.

A ball cap doesn't help my neck at all, and straw doesn't pack well (in general - you can find paper or raffia versions that are packable, of course....)

genuine panama hats are scrunchable, packable, and roll up well. Do not buy the stiff ones because that is not a genuine panama hat. I have one that I bought on a Panama Canal cruise 25 years ago that I still use. It just rolls up. It completely covers your ears and neck area when on the head. It might look a little "out of sorts" when you take it out of your suitcase/carryon bag, but in an hour or so, it is just fine.

A widebrim hat will be far better than a baseball hat. However, I wouldn't take straw - as you sweat, you will get itchy (at least, I always do). Take a lightweight wide brim, such as the one from Outdoor Research (mentioned earlier). I sometime will dunk my hat in water before I put it on to help with some evaporative cooling. You're not looking for style or fashion, you'll looking to keep yourself shaded and cool!!!

Note to myself to NOT take a hat this year. I always end up carrying it with me on the journey (or wearing it) and never wearing it on holiday. I just take a cap to wear when I am reading in the sun as I always find this difficult even with sunglasses. We sail on 2nd August - can;'t wait!

genuine panama hats are scrunchable, packable, and roll up well ..snip.. have one that I bought on a Panama Canal cruise 25 years ago that I still use. It just rolls up. It completely covers your ears and neck area when on the head. It might look a little "out of sorts" when you take it out of your suitcase/carryon bag, but in an hour or so, it is just fine.

That´s good to hear as I plan to buy a few panamas when we visit Equador next Feb. Interesting to know hat may look a bit¨tired´when it comes out of its box.but recovers quickly

Sandy in Spain

Archived