What's this thing (in the cabin)?

Aoumd

[quote name='Aoumd'][IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/adamsvacation/DSC_0246.jpg[/IMG]

Got back from the Glory last week and had a great time, but a question...

The black button-like thing on the right is the restroom light, but I wonder what the little sensor-like thing (with its own little switch) on the left is? Never seemed to be able to find a reason for it on our recent cruise...[/quote]
It's LED emergency lighting. Won't brighten the room but it's enough to guide you to the door. Sorry if this spoils the party. ;) Edited by Snorkel2Much

[quote name='mousey']What happened when he put his magnetic key thingy on the mysterious gizmo? :confused: I love a good mystery! Can't wait to find out what it is. If there's one in my cabin on the Fascination on our 8/1 cruise I'll ask the RS what it is and post it back here![/QUOTE]
He just opened the door and stuck the key in it, then went inside. The camera man followed him in, showing the suite. But now that it's been mentioned, the reflection of the camera man in the balcony window did look like he was wearing the aluminum collander with the foil antenna!

[quote name='Aoumd']Thanks for the ideas everyone - guess if I sail Carnival again soon I'll just have to ask the steward.

I've used the "Room key slot for electricity" feature before at a hotel in Japan. Great way to save power, although on a ship I could see how it could prevent one from charging up a camera, iPod, etc. when out to dinner...

...and given some of the other threads that are active at the moment I too have been wondering about the whole "motion sensor" thing for attendant use![/quote]
If you have a traveling companion, use their key card inside & your key card to get in & out of the cabin

[quote name='cdamion']All of this making aluminum foil hats is really starting to become offensive to me and Im sure is very degrading to those that have problems hearing voices and think they have chips in their brains.

If you knew what you were talking about, you would know that you simply have to fold the foil to a certain thickness and place them inside of both of your shoes. This will disrupt the signals sufficiently and those that are monitoring you will not realize that you are on to them.[/QUOTE]

OMG..Stop It!!! I just can't stop laughing...you all are so making my day/night!

I had an ocean view room and it was in there. The power went off about midnight so it was pretty dark even with the window.

Since it was midnight, did you open the curtains to let the light in?

The only Carnival ship to currently have the slot to insert your S&S card (or any plastic card) to turn the lights on is the Carnival Magic. On the ship only the lights go out when you remove the card. The air conditioner and electrical sockets stay powered so you can still use chargers when the card is removed. I assume the Carnival Breeze will also have this and it is very common in European hotel rooms. The difference is that in some of the European hotels we stayed in the electrical sockets also were off so we had a computer run down its battery when we left it on. Not a big deal and maybe this will be added to the other ships when they are updated.

All of this making aluminum foil hats is really starting to become offensive to me and Im sure is very degrading to those that have problems hearing voices and think they have chips in their brains.

If you knew what you were talking about, you would know that you simply have to fold the foil to a certain thickness and place them inside of both of your shoes. This will disrupt the signals sufficiently and those that are monitoring you will not realize that you are on to them.

OK, Got a silver dress for elegant night to match the foil, how thick should it be?- hoping this will work with my flip-flops. Thanks, this board is great - you learn more and more stuff you really need here.

If you have a traveling companion, use their key card inside & your key card to get in & out of the cabin

they are simpler then that. Most hotels in asia/pacific have them. If you really want to keep the power or aircon on then just use any old card from your wallet and stick it in the slot. Even a bit of cardboard folded to the right size does it.

I don't know if you're question has been answered or not but I personally have no idea. The Glory my my first cruise ship i had ever been one, my first cruise being December or 2010, and our room did not have one of those contraptions, it did have a light switch for the bathroom of course though.

OK, Got a silver dress for elegant night to match the foil, how thick should it be?- hoping this will work with my flip-flops. Thanks, this board is great - you learn more and more stuff you really need here.

[sigh] Amateurs!!!! No. Flip flops will not maintain the necessary contact with your feet to disrupt the signals. Although the silver dress is a good idea as to not raise their suspicions.

Obviously you fold it two times length wise so that it will fit along the soles of your feet. Heavy duty aluminum foil works best. Generic from the dollar store could tear and then you can be tracked and THEY will be able to transmit the signals from the wall contraption to the chip that was implanted in your brain when you were born.

I've already said too much...

I never realized how fortunate I was to actually work in a factory producing aluminum. It's been years now and not once have any of the people from our plant been traced by " up above ".

P.S. You are absolutely correct. It needs to be high grade, good old fashioned, North American aluminum! :D

It's LED emergency lighting. Won't brighten the room but it's enough to guide you to the door. Sorry if this spoils the party. ;)

This guy answered the question, but his answer was so boring everybody ignored it :cool:

Looks like the light master switch (or in this case master button). Often I hit the wrong switch when leaving the cabin and it drops the power off to all lights inside (being an inside cabin user, I usually leave a bedside tablelamp on so I don't go base over apex when re-entering the cabin), hitting the cutout makes a clunking sound and all lights, powerpoints etc are turned off...a bit like turning off your electrical switchboard at home.

I happen to know the answer and was asked never to tell, but I know I can count on all of you to keep it a secret. When you enter the room, if you swipe your card, it makes you invisible. Then you can go up on the deck and remove all the items left by the chair hogs without being caught. Make a mistake, no one will know it was you. Need a free drink, wait til the bar staff is not looking and you can drink out the bottle. Top deck nudity allowed? Let your imagination flow. Only works for 30 minutes so plan ahead for best usage.

Can I just tell you that your signature has me worried. All but one of your august trips have been changed due to hurricanes, and this is my first august trip.. *sigh*

Can I just tell you that your signature has me worried. All but one of your august trips have been changed due to hurricanes, and this is my first august trip.. *sigh*

Yep, just call me "Hurricane Magnet" - and that's just the cruises... we've had land vacations interrupted, too. Friends ask where I'm going... and go somewhere else!! BUT, we've had FUN! A cruise is a good place to be if there's a storm because they will take you somewhere else. It's hard to move a condo out of the way!!

We just go with the attitude that we're going to have fun, no matter where we wind up. So far, it's working for us.