Ravello DIY?

cheffip

I have a full-day port stop in Naples in early November. Although I have spent a week on the Amalfi coast (based in Sorrento) I never made it to Ravello. Is it a doable and/or smart choice by public transportation? A private driver is not an option because of the cost.

I have a full-day port stop in Naples in early November. Although I have spent a week on the Amalfi coast (based in Sorrento) I never made it to Ravello. Is it a doable and/or smart choice by public transportation? A private driver is not an option because of the cost.

We were in Ravello on June 11. We did that trip and other stops via a private tour through RomeInLimo. It was a super great and wonderful experience!! Given the distance from Naples, going up through the Swiss-like twisting mountain roads, etc., I would doubt, however, that any type of public transit would be that realistic and/or time efficient. It might be possible to get there by using several options, including a train to Sorrento, then bus over to the Positano area, then another bus along the coast towards Ravello, then back and back. Maybe there is a way to do, but it would be highly time-consuming.

Below are a few of my photo samples from Ravello. Great views, very scenic, interesting shops, wonderful history, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 22,136 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 46,787 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

For Ravello overlooking the Gulf of Solerno, this is the town church tower with flowers in the foreground:

RavFlowersChurchTower.jpg

Ravello has many nice ceramics shops with locally-made pieces of many sizes. Here is the owner making a welcoming toast to come in and shop.:

RavCeramicsStoreOwner.jpg

From Ravello’s main square, here is the view to its neighboring village.:

RavTree2NeighboringVillage.jpg

We did Ravello with Rominlimo also. It was amazing! I have no idea how you would do it on your own... but we put together a private tour with 3 other people and it made it quite affordable. Have you checked with your Roll Call to see if there may be others to share with you?

Do-able but not a smart choice for a one day port call. You would have to take a train to Salerno, take a SITA bus from Salerno to Amalfi, and then, take a different SITA bus to Ravello. The specific bus to Ravello is the Scala-Ravello-Amalfi which is a loop route up into the mountains.

Ravello is on the Amalfi side of the peninsula -- not the Sorrento side -- so you've got to get to Amalfi before heading inland.

Thanks everyone for your comments and great photos TLC!

I am actually looking for a DIY "Plan B" in case my "Plan A" DIY to Capri doesn't work out if there is a cancellation of the hydrofoils due to weather in November. I did good tours of Pompeii and Naples last time so was looking for something new. Maybe it would be more doable to take the train to Sorrento and then the SITA bus to Positano or Amalfi and leave Ravello out of the loop this time?

Archived