New Camera Suggestions

Megan07

I'm in the market looking for a new camera. My old camera is 4 years old, but its a 5 megapixel I think (Kodak easy share).

I'm wanting opinions on what I should get. I want something with a good zoom and the ability to take video. I don't want to spend over $200.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I'm in the market looking for a new camera. My old camera is 4 years old, but its a 5 megapixel I think (Kodak easy share).

I'm wanting opinions on what I should get. I want something with a good zoom and the ability to take video. I don't want to spend over $200.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Just finished a thread on the exact same subject!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1442332

All the work is already done! :)

Dave

Edited by pierces

Can you elaborate further?

Today, there are so many features in the small compact cameras that it's going to be hard to chose what is right for you without narrowing the field down a bit.

I presume you will be using it for cruise photos. In that regard, there are several features some cameras have that have particular interest to cruisers:

1. Waterproof - some cameras are waterproof, although they typically are limited to shallow depths (6ft, 10ft, or 33ft, etc.). The more expensive cameras go deeper. By expensive, I mean in the $300 range. For you, in the $200 range, you can still get into a basic waterproof camera.

2. Viewfinder. If you are going on Caribbean cruises especially, if you take a photo in the bright daylight, often the display screen will be washed out and you won't be able to see what you are taking a photo of. There are two solutions to this; some cameras have an optical viewfinder, and others have an electronic viewfinder. While the cost of these cameras vary, I know of at least one camera that has an electronic viewfinder for under $200.

3. Panoramic photos. Many cameras these days can do panoramic photos, and the different brands accomplish this differently. Typically, panoramic photos work by taking a sequence of photos while panning the camera a bit to the left or right, and combining the photos (stitching). Some cameras provide you with "target" icons on the screen to allow you to move the camera exactly to the spot it needs to be for each subsequent photo. It's easier than it sounds, and the results are surprisingly good. Some require you to use a photo-stitching software after you upload the photos into your computer, while some can do this in-camera so you will have almost instant results. And one camera I know of does it without needing to do any software photo-stitching at all (although I have not tried it, so I don't know how well it works).

4. Manual controls. Many cruisers want a simple camera that is fully automatic and has different scenes to chose from that provide flexibility to take a photo in different conditions, yet are simple to use. Virtually all compact cameras in your price range (and up) provide this capability.

In addition to this basic capability, other cruisers want a camera to grow with them, as they get into the more technical aspects of taking a photo. At some point, a fully automatic camera may run into a situation where it just cannot take a suitable photo, so some want the ability to override the automatic settings and manually control the camera. While most compact cameras do not have this feature, there are a few cameras that do. I even know one camera that does this for less than $200.

Those are features that some cruisers want in a camera, although you will not likely find a specific camera that has them all. But there may be.

The good news is that even at the $200 price point, most cameras these days take decent shapshots. I would not get hung up too much on the MegaPixel count. Any camera more than 10MegaPixels is likely to provide decent resolution, and some of the higher pixel cameras in my view are overkill.

At any rate, your best bet is to think of the features that are desireable to you, then it will narrow your choices down.

Happy camera hunting...

Edited by awboater

I'm just looking for something that I can use post cruise too. Something simple. Compact. Underwater isn't necessary, I can get a disposable for underwater. Figured this was the best place to ask.

Welcome to CC.

Shopping for a camera even at Best Buy can be daunting. I found this is a good place to read up: http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM?view=dp_cheap

Todays 200 buck camera far exceeds the quality of a 400-500 buck camera from a few years ago. Moore's law is indeed an amazing thing :D

I'm just looking for something that I can use post cruise too. Something simple. Compact. Underwater isn't necessary, I can get a disposable for underwater. Figured this was the best place to ask.
Edited by chipmaster

The latest camera I bought was a Fuji S2950.; $180 or so at Adorama. It is a bridge camera, so it is not quite as compact as a true compact camera, but it does have some nice features; manual and auto operation, 18x zoom, electronic viewfinder, and AA batteries. Wal-Mart carries a S2940 at $199, but I understand it's an exclusive-to-Wal-Mart model (have not verified that though), but is essentially the same camera, so it's easy for you to look-see if you are interested in that one.

While there are some lens issues with this camera, (especially at the long end, there is some blur in the corners of the photo). This can happen even with some $1,000 lenses, so it is to be expected. Most cameras in the $200 price range will have a few issues, so I would not discount it because of that.

This camera has automatic and manual controls (PSAM), so it might not be the most simple camera to use.

While most folks will want a rechargeable battery, I bought it precisely as it took AA batteries. I keep it in my car so I will always have a camera on hand, without worrying if I recharged the batteries or not. For that reason, AA batteries were essential for me. And if they are dead - you can buy them almost anywhere. And it will work with rechargeable AA NiMH batteries, so you can have a rechargeable power source if that is important.

My wife has a Nikon S570, and it is more of a compact camera. She keeps it in her purse, and well, half the time battery needs recharging. But when it has power, it takes decent enough photos. I was pretty surprised to see how well a 11x16 photo enlargement turned out with her camera.

My son has a Nikon S203 that he bought at Target. I am not sure what the deal is with this camera, I was not impressed with this camera at all. I think he could have done a lot better with a different camera.

We also have an Olympus Tough 8010 (which is closer to $300), and while it is a waterproof camera, it also works well as a general purpose camera. So if you have a waterproof camera, you don't need to use it exclusively in the water.

The Olympus and two Nikons are either discontinued or will soon be as they are up to a year old - as is typical with electronics. The Fuji though, I just bought a week ago and it's a fairly recent model.

I have several other cameras, but these are the cameras I have that might be in your price range. While there are other excellent cameras out there, I can only comment on what I own - so they might or might not be what is best for your needs.

Edited by awboater

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Does the $200.00 include a back-up battery and case?

Dave

Check the Sony on Amazon that Dave linked. I also got a battery and case that I ordered separately. Total price is $214. It got great reviews and should suit my needs. It was almost half price and can be returned if something is not right.

Lindy

Dave

Dave

I looked at your sample album and gotta say, that panoramic view of the beach/ocean is simply amazing!

Is this camera compatible to use any brand of the SD card? Does it use batteries? or does it have a rechargeable battery. If so how long is the life of it?

Any thoughts on a Sony Cyber shot 16.2 Megapixel?

How many of you actually put your cameras underwater (that are waterproof)? This one isn't, but I'm curious. I think I'd rather have a disposable for that.

I've used my Olympus 8010 underwater. But some "underwater" cameras are also ruggedized for rough use.

One thing you need to be aware of is that there is a shift to the blue when shooting underwater photos, especially if the water is the Clear Caribbean.

Some digital waterproof cameras (my 8010 for one) has a setting in the color balance that you can change this.

Otherwise if it were a disposable camera, you would need a red filter - which I don't think many disposal cameras have filter threads to attach it (but you could use gaffer's tape I suppose).

You can also color-balance in post-processing if you converted the disposable images to digital format.

But the chief reason, I think, is that the modern underwater digital cameras will give you a much better photo than a disposable camera. Just my opinion.

But an underwater photo with a disposable camera is better than no underwater photo, so I suppose it's a matter of cost and need.

In addition to being waterproof, my 8010 is a rugged camera; as some of the other brand waterproof cameras are as well. It has a metal frame, and can be dropped from 5ft, frozen, stepped on (200lbs), and used underwater.

If you have a young child and want to get them into photography, it's probably the best camera for them. There is nothing as enjoyable as seeing what a young child sees through their eyes (and camera).

These videos convinced me to buy the Olympus Tough 8010; although several other brand ruggedized/waterproof cameras will do this as well. So the Olympus is just representative of a class of Ruggedized/Shockproof/Freezeproof/Underwater cameras available from several manufacturers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9S96zopVXo&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68kO5ndWau0&NR=1

Edited by awboater

Dave

I looked at your sample album and gotta say, that panoramic view of the beach/ocean is simply amazing!

Is this camera compatible to use any brand of the SD card? Does it use batteries? or does it have a rechargeable battery. If so how long is the life of it?

That shot was taken with the Sweep Panorama function where you hold down the shutter button and just pan from left to right. After you stop, the camera stitches the 100 or so segments into the picture you see there. Pretty darn cool!

The HX5V will use SD, SDHC, SDXC Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo HS or Memory Stick PRO HG Duo from any manufacturer.

It comes with a Li-Ion battery that has excellent capacity. I bought a spare because I tend to shoot a lot on vacation ($25-ish). I shoot stills mostly with the occasional video and I imagine a lot of video would eat power quicker but I have never used up two batteries in a day.

$25 for a spare seems pricey compared to a pair of decent Alkalines for $2 or even the expensive lithium ones for $4, but after charging the Sony about 50 times so far, I think I've come out more than a bit ahead.

Happy shooting!

Dave

That shot was taken with the Sweep Panorama function where you hold down the shutter button and just pan from left to right. After you stop, the camera stitches the 100 or so segments into the picture you see there. Pretty darn cool!

The HX5V will use SD, SDHC, SDXC Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo HS or Memory Stick PRO HG Duo from any manufacturer.

It comes with a Li-Ion battery that has excellent capacity. I bought a spare because I tend to shoot a lot on vacation ($25-ish). I shoot stills mostly with the occasional video and I imagine a lot of video would eat power quicker but I have never used up two batteries in a day.

$25 for a spare seems pricey compared to a pair of decent Alkalines for $2 or even the expensive lithium ones for $4, but after charging the Sony about 50 times so far, I think I've come out more than a bit ahead.

Happy shooting!

Dave

Hi Dave: Just ordered the HX5V. What size SDHC memory card are you using. I will primarily be taking stills but maybe a little video also. Also did you get an extra Sony brand battery or a different one?

Thanks. :D

Hi Dave: Just ordered the HX5V. What size SDHC memory card are you using. I will primarily be taking stills but maybe a little video also. Also did you get an extra Sony brand battery or a different one?

Thanks. :D

I have an 8GB Sandisk Extreme in the HX5v and carry an extra when on vacation. To be honest, between the cameras I carry more memory than I will ever need without becoming a video nut, but a couple or three 8GB cards should last you a week. I picked up a Sony battery since it was only $25, protected my warranty and the good quality third-party ones were only a couple of dollars less.

Enjoy the camera! Mine has served me well!

Dave

Dave

I'm very interested in the camera you suggested- the Sony DSC HX5V. How is the DSC H70 compare to that besides it's 16 MP? What about the Sony Cybershot HX9?

When I bought my digital camera in 2007 I think, I was paying good money for a 5 or 6 MP camera. It seems very outdated now. I just want to know that what I'm buying will last awhile. I really like the features of the HX5V but wondering how those others compare? Can you help me? You seem like a camera pro!

Thanks

Megan

I have an 8GB Sandisk Extreme in the HX5v and carry an extra when on vacation. To be honest, between the cameras I carry more memory than I will ever need without becoming a video nut, but a couple or three 8GB cards should last you a week. I picked up a Sony battery since it was only $25, protected my warranty and the good quality third-party ones were only a couple of dollars less.

Enjoy the camera! Mine has served me well!

Dave

I ordered a 4GB extreme as I wasn't sure but will get some 8GB also. I decided to order the Sony battery also--others were much cheaper but.......

Thanks again.:D

Dave

I'm very interested in the camera you suggested- the Sony DSC HX5V. How is the DSC H70 compare to that besides it's 16 MP? What about the Sony Cybershot HX9?

When I bought my digital camera in 2007 I think, I was paying good money for a 5 or 6 MP camera. It seems very outdated now. I just want to know that what I'm buying will last awhile. I really like the features of the HX5V but wondering how those others compare? Can you help me? You seem like a camera pro!

Thanks

Megan

When I was shopping for my HX5V the latest crop of 12 and 14 mp cameras were all the rage but I chose the 10MP HX5V because it uses Sony's Exmor-R sensor which had a significant improvement in sensitivity over previous designs. The H70 uses a standard Sony sensor and doesn't have the processing power of the HX series. The H70 will shoot continuously at 1 frame/sec while the HX5V will shoot up to 10 full resolution images per second. It also shoots full HD 1080 video where the H70 is limited to 720 HD. 720 HD really is good enough for most people and honestly, I almost never shoot video and didn't consider this in my choice. The image quality difference between the 10MP HX5V and the 16MP H70 edges slightly in favor of the H70 at lower ISO but the HX5V performs better in low light. If I had to choose between the two right now, I'd still go with the HX5V because of the performance. If I were shopping for a new compact and didn't have a $200 budget, I'd get an HX9V.

Remember, the HX5V was $350 when it first came out and you were paying for a lot of camera in a small package.

Hope that helped.

Dave

Edited by pierces

Dave:

Do I get this:

SanDisk

8GB Extreme SDHC Class 10 Memory Card

Class 10 RatingUp to 30MB/s Read/Write SpeedESP TechnologyDurable & ReliableRescuePRO Data RecoveryLifetime Limited Warranty

B&H # SAESD8GBCMfr # SDSDX3-008G-A31

In Stock

Or:

SanDisk

8GB Extreme SDHC Class 10 Memory Card

Class 10 SpeedUp to 30MB/s Read/Write SpeedDurable & ReliableLifetime Limited Warranty

B&H # SAESD8GBMfr # SDSDRX3-8192-A21

In Stock

Or would either work? Very confusing!

I think you got me sold Dave!

10MP gives good images!

The video is good quality too?

Not many new left on amazon. I better buy it!

The video is pretty good. Like all but the big-sensor compacts like the NEX and video capable DSLRs, the video can be grainy in very low light but in average conditions it is really quite good. I have shot both 720 and 1080 video with mine and was quite pleased with the results.

Note: I'm not a video guy and am not sure if my being pleased is a universal benchmark for good video.:)

Dave

Dave

I took the plunge and bought it last night! I can't wait! Now I'm just gonna get a case for it. I saw one on Amazon, but the review said it didn't really fit the camera well. Looks Like I'll go to target or best buy today and see what they have.

Dave

I took the plunge and bought it last night! I can't wait! Now I'm just gonna get a case for it. I saw one on Amazon, but the review said it didn't really fit the camera well. Looks Like I'll go to target or best buy today and see what they have.

I ordered the case with the side pocket Sony LCSCSU/R DSC Carrying Case (Red) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00336EHB6

If it doesn't fit then I'll head to a local store. I like one with a shoulder strap to wear cross body.

Wish I knew what I was doing with memory cards--I need a tutorial!

I ordered the case with the side pocket Sony LCSCSU/R DSC Carrying Case (Red) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00336EHB6

If it doesn't fit then I'll head to a local store. I like one with a shoulder strap to wear cross body.

Wish I knew what I was doing with memory cards--I need a tutorial!

Sorry!

I answered earlier today, but the forum timed out and I forgot to go back!

The only difference between the two you listed is the manufacturer's number. They will perform identically. Any Class 10 card from a reputable manufacturer will perform at least to the minimum required by class 10 specs (10MB/sec read/write), so no worries there.

Since B&H has a really good price on these right now, I'd go ahead and get them. If you want to add a couple more spares, the SanDisk Ultra II cards at Costco will work too.

Here's an article I wrote on how much memory you might want to take. It also explains resolution settings which can be confusing at first.

http://www.pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/VivaLaResolution.htm

Dave

Edited by pierces

Sorry!

I answered earlier today, but the forum timed out and I forgot to go back!

The only difference between the two you listed is the manufacturer's number. They will perform identically. Any Class 10 card from a reputable manufacturer will perform at least to the minimum required by class 10 specs (10MB/sec read/write), so no worries there.

Since B&H has a really good price on these right now, I'd go ahead and get them. If you want to add a couple more spares, the SanDisk Ultra II cards at Costco will work too.

Here's an article I wrote on how much memory you might want to take. It also explains resolution settings which can be confusing at first.

http://www.pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/VivaLaResolution.htm

Dave

Thanks so much. Sadly we don't have a Costco but I run Invisible Hand on my computer and it is quite accurate in finding best deals.

Article is very well written --that part of things I understand as I began my career as an electron microscopist.

Edited by Alaskanb