Legend barcelona sagrada familia

texasgal01

Texas- The most important part of the park is the entrance area- half an hour would be plenty of time. Beyond that there are paths that go through the rest of the park, but the only Gaudi thing to see there is the small house where he lived for a while (a 5 minute walk) and some small things like benches etc. Well worth seeing the entry, but as I am sure you know, the rest of the park was never developed and missable if you are pressed for time. if you are a photographer, the view from the park, with the two amazing entry guard houses, the dity, then the sea, makes a wonderful picture.

PS- Yeeha.

BTW- if you want a fun place for lunch, go to the old town and find La Caracol (the snail.) If you are walking up Las Ramblas from the port, take the first good size pedestrian only street to the right once you get to the old town, and walk about 4 blocks. There is an ancient rotisserie outside with chickens cooking. If there is a bartender who looks like a young Bill Murray, ask him for a Johnnie walker and he will keep refilling your glass (and sharing it with you) as long as you stay.

BTW- if you want a fun place for lunch, go to the old town and find La Caracol (the snail.) If you are walking up Las Ramblas from the port, take the first good size pedestrian only street to the right once you get to the old town, and walk about 4 blocks. There is an ancient rotisserie outside with chickens cooking. If there is a bartender who looks like a young Bill Murray, ask him for a Johnnie walker and he will keep refilling your glass (and sharing it with you) as long as you stay.

Another fantastic experience is Gaudi museum La Pedrera in centre of town - No 92 Passeig de Gracia at intersection with Diagonal (Metro stop is Diagonal) - with most amazing Gaudi sculptures on roof - in my book a better experience than the Parc. Two blocks away is the Cerveceria Catalana on junction of La Rambla de Catalunya and Avda Mallorca. Without doubt the best tapas (and exteremely reasonably priced) in Barcelona. Can't book, have to line up. Tip - get there by around 1230-1300 and shouldn't be too long. Barcelonistas go for lunch at 1400 in summer. This from an long-term BCN resident. Check all details at www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com if you haven't already. Have fun!

Here is my suggestion if you are concerned about time. Take a taxi to the Parc and then walk downhill to La Sagrada( about 20 -25 minutes) and then back over to Passieg de Gracia( it is a lovely tree lined avenue with beautiful homes, some of which are now boutique hotels,retsuarants and high end shops) past numerous lovely Gaudi structures. If you get tired at this point you can always hop on the metro or take a taxi. And near the port the Gothic area is quite interesting with its little back alleys with some great tapa bars( great place to grab a late lunch). PersonallyI find las Ramblas a little too crowded and touristy.And if you are foodies like us you might also enjoy the large market -- la Boqueria( open in the AM only -- if only to pick up some marcona almonds.

Chairsin- that sounds like a great day out. And remember, if you get lost/tired, you can always jump in a cab to go to your next stop. I agree Las Ramblas is not a destination in itself, but in a town with so many twists and turns it is a great guidepost- you can alway find it and it heads straight from the port to the center of town.

BTW-For Harry Potter fans- last trip I noticed one of the main streets through town is Diagonal avenue. Wonder if it was Ms Rowling's inspiration?

Chairsin- that sounds like a great day out. And remember, if you get lost/tired, you can always jump in a cab to go to your next stop. I agree Las Ramblas is not a destination in itself, but in a town with so many twists and turns it is a great guidepost- you can alway find it and it heads straight from the port to the center of town.

BTW-For Harry Potter fans- last trip I noticed one of the main streets through town is Diagonal avenue. Wonder if it was Ms Rowling's inspiration?

WHAAATTTTT!!!! I'm a huge Harry Potter fan! That's awesome, I'm going to definitely check that out! Thanks for the tid-bit

Archived