E Med Cruise on Navigator - How formal

We just booked E Med cruise while we were on FOS cruise last week. We've sailed 10 times on RCCL, but we've never taken a Med cruise. We leave from Rome. I'm assuming there are 2 formal nights (7-night cruise). On casual nights, I usually wear capris or slacks...not very formal. Do I need to bring more dresses, more bling. Is the dress a bit more formal on a cruise leaving from Rome? We will be sailing in June 2012...I know I'm getting started early, but I'm a planner. I know it will be hot, hot, hot and I'm wondering what everyone wears when touring. We are normally in shorts and t-shirts. I know we have to have something with sleeves, etc. for touring chapels, etc., but what about other tours. Any advice is appreciated. I know we need to pack light, so I'm trying to figure out what I'll need to start shopping for :D.

I just returned yesterday from a 12 - day Med. cruise. IT WAS HOT! That being said, if you plan on visiting any churches, you will need to have your knees and shoulders covered. Many churches, including the Vatican, are quite strict.

Here's what I would recommend for a 7 day cruise which will have 2 formal nights:

- 1 Formal night outfit (little black dress in a foldable material) which you will wear twice - and trust me, no one will care if you repeat.

- Sun hats and sun glasses (very important)

- Instead of shorts, try a few very lightweight skirts or sundresses.

- Cotton tops or tanks to wear with the skirts.

- A very lightweight wrap or cardigan to throw over your shoulders when you need to be covered. This same wrap can be used in the evening if you tend to be chilly.

- VERY IMPORTANT: at least two pairs of comfortable, supportive, well-broken in sandals or walking shoes. You will be walking on a lot of cobblestone streets and its important to have good, well-fitting sandals or shoes. Most people do not wear sneakers for sightseeing.

- For the nights that are not formal, capris or slacks and a top. Some women wore sundresses and longer, casual dresses at night.

- A cross-body purse.

Those are the basics. With every store having summer clearance sales, now is a good time to shop for next summer.

Have fun planning. A Med. cruise is a fantastic experience.

Archived