Colourful coasts on Destiny

Thinking about doing this at beginning of february, never been on destiny or indeed cruised the canaries in winter has anyone done this before. Whats the weather like and is the Destiny an ok ship for this type of itinery, also looking at dream in caribbean but obviously more expensive

We are doing this week over New Year. Have been to the Canaries before in the winter and the temperature was in the 20's whereas in the Caribbean it will be in the 30's.

We spent last New Year on Destiny in the Caribbean which is my favourite combination! However this year the choice was Destiny in the Canaries for one week or Dream in the Caribbean for a fortnight. With limited time off work available the Destiny/Canaries has won.

Carol x

Oh I loved that Itinerary. We did it this past January (14-21) for our 25th wedding anniversary, on the Spirit. The weather was fine. I am a fan of the both the Spirit and Destiny, the latter being my weakness as it was the first ship that we ever sailed on. If you are concerned about rough seas I can say that we did not have a problem but I never travel without my Boots motion sickness tablets. I feel more at ease just knowing that I have them if I need them.

I haven't checked to see where you will be calling at but my favourites were Funchal, Madira. Easy to do on your own. We caught a local bus up to Monte which has a lovely Botanical Garden. It's so peaceful up there. We then treated ourselves to a SLEDGE Ride down the hill. It has to be one of the most memoriable things I have ever done.

ADGADIR - Morocco - we did the most fantastic excursion in a 4 x 4. Initially the price seems a bit steep, but is so worth every penny. You see places that you would have never seen otherwise, the real Morocco. Please start saving your penny's now.

ARRECIFE, LANZAROTE - Excursion to Fire Mt. National Park not to be missed. I only wish that I had felt better on that day. If would love to see it again.

Before we sailed I had concerns about the timing but it wasn't bad. We loved it. Hope this helps shed a bit of light.

Would agree that the highlights are Madeira, Agadir (we did the half day Taroundant tip which we found fascinating not having been to Morocco before) and Lanzarote - but please do a trip here - any of them are good just don't stop in Arricife which has little to offer and not a bit representative of the island at all. The Fire Mountain is great, the Jameous del Agua caves or a taxi to the Manrique Fundacion - a real treat!

The island of Palma is quiet, very restful for a more relaxing day - but the town of Santa Cruz is small but very interesting and attractive.

Destiny is my least favourite of the Thomson ships but having said that we've had two great holidays on her.

The Caribbean is fabulous though - lovely beaches, quite a different culture but I think a more beach-based holiday. We did some trips but tended to have at least half a day on the beach at most ports. It's a very different type of holiday from the one you've just done in the Med which is quite a city/busy kind of schedule. We love both styles and feel it's good to have a mix.

thanks so much all , carol I see you are from my neck of the woods (I live in Wood End) Its hubbys 60th birthday 25th January but I have been warned that we can only afford to cruise once a year (Yeah ok!!) so if I book it as a surprise he can't tell me off. We love the canaries usually go to tenerife in February but the weather has been a bit iffy the last twice so we went to mexico last year but I so love cruising and so does he. been to lanzarote,Fuerteventura and gran canaria once before so think this would be the answer just a bit concerned as have'nt done the destiny before (Dream, island escape and spirit twice) or indeed fixed dining but suppose its just like being in a hotel anyway. Will look at the prices I think and I think the all inclusive option is on offer at the moment as well so that will help with the costs.

We have cruised and stayed in the Canaries quite a few times at various times of the year, we have had everything from Glorious sunshine to gales and floods. It is typically warm in Feb, just right for cruising in my view. We are in fact cruising the Canaries on Destiny over Christmas and the new year. We cruised on Destiny twice when she was Suncruise's Sunbird and loved it, as we do all Thompson's ships. Great fun and entertainment.

If the all inclusive is on offer then I would take it, we did not have that option last month when we booked.

Capasamari. I will start a thread on the roll call page now I know that someone else is on this cruise.

Archived