Leaving in 24 days with a 19 month old...

Pacclady

We leave for our Carnival cruise in 24 days and I'm starting to get nervous. This will be out first time cruising with our son, who will be 19 months old. We originally booked a Western Caribbean on the Dream with 2 days at sea. But due to family schedule, we had to move to the Eastern with 3 days at sea. Seriously...what do you do with an active toddler who's too young for the kids area during the days at sea? My husband says I'm worrying too much and it'll be just fine. As usual, I'm having trouble listening to him. Not only is this our first cruise with our son, it's our first vacation ever with him. I just don't know what to expect. Any tips would be so greatly appreciated.

What does he do at home? Take a few small toys / books for him to play with. He will probably be interested in all the colors around him not to mention the open areas to explore. I remember one little girl on our first cruise. It was a bit rocky and she would take a few steps and then stumble a bit when the floor wasn't where she expected it to be. She looked up at her mom as if to say, "Hey, I'm still learning this walking thing and you put me on a floor that moves."

Let him people watch and take in his surroundings. Change areas often. I have yet to travel with a little one, but having been on several cruises I know that there is often clubs/areas that are rarely used during the day. Check around and find these as it will allow for more room for the little on to play.

I just sailed the Dream last month (Eastern) with my 21 month old son. We had a fantastic time. We always started the day early with breakfast and then a walk around Deck 5 outside on the Lanai. Then we would go back to Lido Deck and sit by the pool under the over-hang. I would bring a few small cars for him in his diaper bag to play with. When Camp Carnival was closed on certain hours, I would bring him there to run around & play (with me supervising of course). He also enjoyed lots of ice cream cones - he loved those!! Ocean Plaza was a fun place for us to hang out at night. A band performs there each night, and my son enjoys music so he would clap & watch, or even go on the dance floor to get his groove on. There were a few theater shows that he sat through & watched, he really enjoyed watching the Fun Force dancers & Dancing In The Streets.

Hope you enjoy the cruise!! The Dream is absolutely wonderful & a favorite so far. Really enjoyed the Eastern route a lot more than Western! :)

What does he do at home? Take a few small toys / books for him to play with. He will probably be interested in all the colors around him not to mention the open areas to explore. I remember one little girl on our first cruise. It was a bit rocky and she would take a few steps and then stumble a bit when the floor wasn't where she expected it to be. She looked up at her mom as if to say, "Hey, I'm still learning this walking thing and you put me on a floor that moves."

For whatever reason, our kids made big strides in sitting up on their first cruise, and in walking on their second. Given that they are already wobbling, seems like the wobbling of the ship didn't hurt a bit. ;)

OP: Carnival has a session of supervised time each day for under-2s. Go to the orientation or stop by Camp to find out the times. The rest of the time, you really don't need to worry: he'll have a fantastic time meeting all the people and exploring the ship. You, on the other hand, will be run ragged. :D

Thanks, everyone! You really helped me feel better about this. Especially you, JennLuvs2Cruise, it was great to hear from someone on the same ship on the same itinerary with a child of about the same age. But all of your tips are well appreciated. Now I can really get excited! Three weeks from tomorrow!!!!!

Archived