Canada/New England Cruises for a first timer

FawnRiver

I've only cruised in the Caribbean thus far with my husband. My sister wants to try cruising so we were thinking about taking her daughters on a girls' week Disney cruise out of New York up the east coast next fall. It will be their first cruise, and I've been warned that the ride could be rougher than what I've been accustomed to cruising around the Caribbean. Of course, I want them to have a great time (get as addicted as I am :D), so I'm hoping to get some input from more experienced cruisers before making any decisions.

I know its difficult to quantify what constitutes 'rougher than the Caribbean', but any information/opinions would be appreciated.

Thanking all in advance,

Anytime you are in the Atlantic ocean, it can be considerably rougher. But, as an experienced cruiser you know the drill - choose midship cabins, take along anti-seasickness meds. I have family members who have done the Fall Canada sailing and they didn't experience terribly rough seas and really loved the cruise. But one thing I've learned is that you just never know how rough the seas will be. I've had cruises where I've gone several times and it's been smooth, then one year, wildly rough. I just go prepared. That's about all you can do short of only going on cruises in the Caribbean or Med and only during times there is no inclement weather that could cause rough seas.

We sail Boston to Montreal to Boston, b-to-b, every summer and just returned from two weeks aboard Maasdam doing that cruise. We hardly saw a white wave the whole cruise. It was incredibly smooth and most years we have done it, there's been little 'motion of the ocean'. Of course, we all know one can never predict weather and sea conditions but fear of a 'rocky ride' would not be a reason to not book that cruise IMO

We've been on those waters many, many weeks so consider our sailing that area a very good representation of usual conditions.

We positively love that cruise and never tire of the itinerary. :)

We have sailed C&NE 4 times. Montreal to NY, Quebec to NY and a couple 10 day round trip NY. It is an excellent cruise. The only time we ever felt motion was coming out of the Gulf of St Lawrence into the Atlantic and that was minor. We did have 2 inches of snow in Quebec in early Oct but that is a whole different storie. Enjoy the cruise as the sea's should be fine. :)

We live in Massachusetts and took Princess NE/Canada cruise in the summer out of Brooklyn, NY...and the waters were fine...but Sept can be iffy --weather getting chillier ( you are heading North) and it is chancey due to hurricane season...

Sounds fabulous! I think you should do it, of course. Cruising is wonderful, as you know. The Canada/New England itinerary is beautiful, especially in October when the foliage is generally at its peak color (this varies from year to year, obviously). We might be the wrong ones to ask because when we did ours, we actually had to skip a port to outrun the remnants of Hurricane Kyle. It was a little rough one night, but no big deal. You can run into rough weather in any ocean at any time of year. Please don't let this trouble you - no sense in worrying about something you have no control over.

Book the cruise and have a fab time! :)

I'm not particularly worried about the temperature, it can be cool in Toronto in September, or it can be stupidly warm. I spent about 6 years as a courier, so I really don't notice temperature differences unless its extreme.

My sister and I are going to a day spa on Monday, so cruising will be the topic of choice. I think we're going to give it a try. I may have to sacrifice my preference for aft cabins and go with a cabin amidships, but its certainly something I can live with. As you all remind me, there's not much we can do about the sea, just hope for the best and pack the Bonine!

I ran into my neice today and she informed me in no uncertain terms that she's willing to risk seasickness for a Disney cruise - and she's 20.

Thanks again to all.

Archived