Dubrovnik facts, not fiction

Thanks again….more and more I’m thinking it’s just best to forget the excursion, stay in town, and do what we can and what my feet will allow. Seems like everything I’ve read about the cable car mentions people taking a taxi or other transportation up, and the cable car down. This is probably a dumb question, but is there any particular reason no one takes the cable car up AND down? I think that is probably what I would want to do.

Most guest do take the cable car round trip, only a few hearty who have unlimited time walk down the mountain. The walk down the mountain takes far too much time and it is a small serpentine goat path and would take far too much time from your limited time here.

• 2 weeks later...
Great information! What is the cost for the cable car and where do you catch this?

Thank you.

Cable car has a website, it shows directions from our north (Buza) gate. Please do not confuse this gate from the Buza Bars, they are not the same. If you use these directions you will be walking up a minimum of 100 steps to reach the Buza exit, not my favorite. You can depart the old town from the eastern (Ploce) gate, turn left and walk up the road until you see a parking lot at the end of the buildings. Cross the road, use zebra marking, and walk next to the buildings toward a pizza joint (do not eat there!), up the steps and you will be at the entrance.

Also you might want to take a taxi from the Gruz harbor directly to the cable car (zicara) entrance. May cost slightly more than be droppped at Pile Square (Brsalje) which is about 75 Kuna or 10 Euros.

Enjoy your day here.

Thanks Dubrovniktravelady! I will check their website and do some more research. I am sure I will have more questions.

We will be there June 1st. Would it still be cool there then. I think I was looking at temps in the mid to upper 60's.

Thanks Dubrovniktravelady! I will check their website and do some more research. I am sure I will have more questions.

We will be there June 1st. Would it still be cool there then. I think I was looking at temps in the mid to upper 60's.

Love the questions, do be prepared for me to be offline for several days at the end of this month. I am moving and it takes time for our internet to be connected. Not much moves quickly in Dubrovnik, including me.

Cannot be sure what our weather will be in June, usually very pleasant. However I have a gut feeling this year is going to be a long cold winter - now expected tonight.

Hi Dubrovniktrvelady

I absolutely love reading your very helpful posts & am really looking forward to coming to Dubrovnik. My father was there in the 1940's & always wanted to return but, sadly never made it. Now I'm visiting myself as part of our cruise to the Adriatic!

We will be in Dubrovnik on May 12th, I know you can't predict, but, what is the weather usually like at that time? I really am not good with excessive heat so I'm hoping we made a good choice.

My husband is a keen photographer, is there anything he should make a point of seeing to get good pictures? We intend walking the walls so hope to get some great photos then.

I look forward to visiting your beautiful country & thank you for all your helpful information. Its a great help when planning to get the most out of such a short visit.

Best wishes to you for your move, hope it goes well.

Cornwalllady (England)

Hi Dubrovniktrvelady

I absolutely love reading your very helpful posts & am really looking forward to coming to Dubrovnik. My father was there in the 1940's & always wanted to return but, sadly never made it. Now I'm visiting myself as part of our cruise to the Adriatic!

We will be in Dubrovnik on May 12th, I know you can't predict, but, what is the weather usually like at that time? I really am not good with excessive heat so I'm hoping we made a good choice.

My husband is a keen photographer, is there anything he should make a point of seeing to get good pictures? We intend walking the walls so hope to get some great photos then.

I look forward to visiting your beautiful country & thank you for all your helpful information. Its a great help when planning to get the most out of such a short visit.

Cornwalllady (England)

Hi Cornwalllady...are you coming in on the Grand? If so, you should join our roll call on these boards. I'm really looking forward to this port too! Brenda

Hi Brenda

Yes we are on the Grand!! First time we've been on since the refit, so are really looking forward to it.:)

Will check out the Roll Call, although we're not usually into those Meet & Greets....never quite sure what goes on???

Hope you enjoy the cruise..it looks great.

Hi Dubrovniktrvelady

Cornwalllady (England)

Dubrovnik itself is a work of art, your husband will have no difficulty photographing breathtaking views. Walking the wall normally takes about 2 hours, but if he stops often for photos expect your time to be increased.

Winter weather has finally just begun, we may have snow tonight. May weather is normally sunny and warm but these days who can predict. It will not be hot and humid, we usually get those unbearable days in August. You picked a lovely time to visit Dubrovnik.

Too bad you Dad never had the opportunity to visit again, but he will be here with you in spirit. Remember you will be walking on the same stone promenade as he did so many years ago.

Enjoy your time here.

Hi Brenda

Yes we are on the Grand!! First time we've been on since the refit, so are really looking forward to it.:)

Will check out the Roll Call, although we're not usually into those Meet & Greets....never quite sure what goes on???

Hope you enjoy the cruise..it looks great.

Even if you join in the roll call, you are under no obligation to attend the meet & greet. It's just a nice way to exhange information with people on your cruise, and/or get to know a few people in advance. Our roll call isn't very active, and no one has set up private tours. In fact, no one has taken control of setting up a meet & greet. Sometimes they are very small, which I tend to prefer, and other times they are huge and even some of the Pricess officers might come if invited. Again, it's entirely up to you, but hope you'll at least join the roll call and say hello there. It's just nice to communicate with people in the same boat (pun intended). Brenda

Thanks so much Dubrovniktravelady. I'll definately be walking the walls in his footsteps...sure he'll be watching over us as he always did in life.

Hope your winters not too bad...its very cold here in England brrr. Seems as though May be perfect for us with it not being hot & humid, so fingers crossed.

Many thanks again.

Archived