Dubrovnik facts, not fiction

Just read this article in our local paper and had to pass it on.

"Anyone who’s ever been to the Old City of Dubrovnik knows that in which ever direction you turn there are steps, but now we know exactly how many steps there are. An association from Dubrovnik has actually counted the steps in the city and unbelievably there are 5423 steps in total. To break that figure down there are 1080 steps on the city walls and 4353 inside the city walls. The team documented the city with video cameras and over twelve visits. So the next time you’re walking the old city and complain that there are thousands of steps you’re right."

We're in Dubrovnik September 1 and I will be climbing some of those steps. Do you know how many there are from the entrance to the top of the wall? I remember there were a lot of stairs all the way along the wall, but I never counted them ;)

NH Cruiser: We're in Dubrovnik September 1 and I will be climbing some of those steps. Do you know how many there are from the entrance to the top of the wall? I remember there were a lot of stairs all the way along the wall' date=' but I never counted them [/quote']

For our NH friend, the below picture might give you a little idea of how high the stairs are above the Pile Gate. I'm not a youngster and made it up there in good order. I had to pause a couple times (to soak up the views, take pictures, rest, etc.) My guess from looking at the scale of the people at the lower level is that the top of the wall at this stage is about 90-100 feet high. As you go towards the sea and around that way, there are more steps as you go up and up. Overall, I rate this wall walk as wonderful with so many exciting views. We were fortunate with only one cruise ship in port that day and temperatures fairly nice in the mid to upper 70's that June 16 when visiting Dubrovnik.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 22,832 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 46,969 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

This picture shows some of the top steps going up above the Pile Gate in Dubrovnik.:

DubrovWallStepsHeight.jpg

We're in Dubrovnik September 1 and I will be climbing some of those steps. Do you know how many there are from the entrance to the top of the wall? I remember there were a lot of stairs all the way along the wall, but I never counted them ;)

At the main entrance closest there are only 65 steps leading to the top of the wall. Do not be intimidated, the 1080 is the total count for all entrances and climbing the towers and a one fort which is closed to the public. If you do the entire circle, it's only about 650 and the sea side is the least difficult. The mountain side is the most difficult, it is climbing upwards towards the highest point, the Minceta tower.

I've done the wall many times and feel strongly the sea side affords the best views. If it's too hot up there, by all means only do half.

Dubrovniklady . . . thanks! We did the sea walk on our last visit, but we also went up to Fort Minceta too. I was too busy taking pictures to count the steps :D

I've counted some of the steps inside old town, but never on the wall. These are facts from our tourist bureau and I take them at their word. It's nice to see photos of the roof tops, but so often they have no description other than view from the city wall. There is a vast amount of history in the old town. I have also noticed that many photos of an area just beyond the orange juice stand are captioned as war damage. Not true! The old ruins are from the big earthquake of 1667, nothing was every rebuilt in that area.

Can I ask a question we will be there in September and my husband suffers from vertigo. Is it a wide wall? Do you think someone who suffers vertigo would be ok walking the wall?

I also do not like heights and don't know if it's a case of vertigo or just fear. I have walked the wall many, many times and do not look over the edge. There are some rather narrow places, however the side walls are high enough and so very thick. If he decides to do the walk, let him do the sea side as it is less difficult and you can both go down at the Sveti Ivan (St. John) exit - it is the half way point. The land side is the part which climbs higher and higher and by far the most difficult and I don't care for it because of the many steps. He can enjoy the walk by looking toward the horizon and it may help his vertigo. Also do watch the steps carefully, they go both up and down. Remember water, sun hat and make sure you have good walking shoes or sandals.

Dubrovniktravelady, I am planning my first visit to Dubrovnik and always enjoy your postings. I just want to thank you so much for your insight and the information about your beautiful home - I am really looking forward to September! Now, my knees may have something else to say about that wall afterwards...

Liz

• 1 month later...
Just read this article in our local paper and had to pass it on.

"Anyone who’s ever been to the Old City of Dubrovnik knows that in which ever direction you turn there are steps, but now we know exactly how many steps there are. An association from Dubrovnik has actually counted the steps in the city and unbelievably there are 5423 steps in total. To break that figure down there are 1080 steps on the city walls and 4353 inside the city walls. The team documented the city with video cameras and over twelve visits. So the next time you’re walking the old city and complain that there are thousands of steps you’re right."

Thanks for all of your insightful information on your city. Quick question regarding attire. We are coming next week. If the weather holds and continues to be hot, is it appropriate to wear shorts in Dubrovnik? We are walking the wall, taking the cable car and generally "hanging out" and taking in the city. We would be grabbing some food and drink probably as well. I know shorts are not well accepted in some ports but wasn't sure about Dubrovnik.

Thanks so much.

Thanks for all of your insightful information on your city. Quick question regarding attire. We are coming next week. If the weather holds and continues to be hot, is it appropriate to wear shorts in Dubrovnik? We are walking the wall, taking the cable car and generally "hanging out" and taking in the city. We would be grabbing some food and drink probably as well. I know shorts are not well accepted in some ports but wasn't sure about Dubrovnik.

Thanks so much.

Weather predictions for next week are cooler and some rain, I hope for our sake they are correct. There has been conversation about the lack of clothing being worn these days in the old town, by residents and tourists. When entering any of the church sites, everyone should be mindful that is only proper to have the knees and shoulders covered. That being said, the heat has brought out some outfits which leave nothing to the imagination.

Shorts are acceptable here, but not inside of the Catholic churches. Bring shorts and longer pants, the weather may change by next week. Who knows these days, it's been a very long hot summer here thus far.

We're in Dubrovnik September 1 and I will be climbing some of those steps. Do you know how many there are from the entrance to the top of the wall? I remember there were a lot of stairs all the way along the wall, but I never counted them

Walking the wall in Dubrovnik is not to be missed. We were there in May on a very windy, wet, blustery day and had a great time wandering the walls for 2 hours.

Here is a photo showing the steps up to the top of the wall...

DSC01068.jpg

This gives you an idea of probably the max width

DSC01070.jpg

The wall around the edge of the old town

DSC01083.jpg

A few more along the wall...

DSC01137.jpg

DSC01141.jpg

And the view overlooking the old town

DSC01148.jpg

For our NH friend, the below picture might give you a little idea of how high the stairs are above the Pile Gate. I'm not a youngster and made it up there in good order. I had to pause a couple times (to soak up the views, take pictures, rest, etc.) My guess from looking at the scale of the people at the lower level is that the top of the wall at this stage is about 90-100 feet high. As you go towards the sea and around that way, there are more steps as you go up and up. Overall, I rate this wall walk as wonderful with so many exciting views. We were fortunate with only one cruise ship in port that day and temperatures fairly nice in the mid to upper 70's that June 16 when visiting Dubrovnik.

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 22,832 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 46,969 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

This picture shows some of the top steps going up above the Pile Gate in Dubrovnik.:

DubrovWallStepsHeight.jpg

Great photo Terry! I plan to walk it this May. We walked it in 2006 but this last cruise I couldn't get my mom up there. Nice to hear you went. I did make some of my buddies climb it. I didn't think it was that bad. It was a nice, warm day when we were there:)

Great photo Terry! I plan to walk it this May. We walked it in 2006 but this last cruise I couldn't get my mom up there. Nice to hear you went. I did make some of my buddies climb it. I didn't think it was that bad. It was a nice, warm day when we were there.

Appreciate the mention by Steph. We were lucky in our weather when in Dubrovnik. Sunny, 70's, only cruise ship in port that day, etc. Below are a few of the visuals I saw during our "walk on the wall". More pictures and details at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now over 39,742 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

From the walled walk, this shows one of the domed tower going up to one of the main corner towers at the highest point for wall surrounding the town.:

2DubvTowerKeyWallFlags.jpg

As seen from the high wall, here is Onofrio’s Large Fountain that sits near the Pile Gate and a church.:

DubvWaterRoundPileGate.jpg

Along the NW area of the walled city, here is the view of the nearby Lovrijenac Fortress and the water.:

4DubrFotressPeopleWatch.jpg

Here is another view of the Dubrovnik wall as it rises along the rocks, overlooking the water of the Adriatic Sea.: Facing the Adriatic Sea, this is one of the gates and passages along the walled walk. Very scenic!!:

4aDubrWallWalkGateWaterView.jpg

Along the Dubrovnik wall, here is a view of swimmers enjoying the Adriatic Sea from a hotel location.:

DubrovSwimmerBelowWall.jpg

From the wall walk, this is one view of a church tower, palms, etc.:

3DubvChurchDomePalms.jpg

Appreciate the mention by Steph. We were lucky in our weather when in Dubrovnik. Sunny, 70's, only cruise ship in port that day, etc. Below are a few of the visuals I saw during our "walk on the wall". More pictures and details at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Along the NW area of the walled city, here is the view of the nearby Lovrijenac Fortress and the water.:

4DubrFotressPeopleWatch.jpg

Terry, great photos!! Here is one very similar to yours looking across to the fortress on a much more blustery day from our trip in early May. The water is much calmer in your shot.

DSC01081.jpg

• 4 months later...

Morning,

Been browsing the boards and found this thread. Plan to be in Dubrovnik for a day in May and was hoping for some advice. Originally we planned an all day excursion but it didn’t include climbing the wall, and that’s something I really want to do. My dilemma is that I have some problems with my feet and I know it will be challenging. So then I decided maybe we’d just spend the whole day in Old Town and do the wall on our own and then I can take my time and go at my own pace.

My question is, how much time should you allow to do the whole wall? I don’t know if I’ll be able to do it, but curious to see the time-frame involved. Because now I am considering a 4 hour morning excursion that ends in Old Town at Noon and I thought maybe that would be enough time to do the wall and still get back to the ship by 4:30 for a 5pm departure. Not sure how much time to allow to get back to the ship. From all I’ve read, the walk back to the ship is much easier than the walk up, but at this point I might need to grab some type of transportation! :D

Any input would be appreciated. Sore feet and all, I think I am most looking forward to this port and the wall!

Thanks so much, and thanks for the photos posted. I really enjoyed them.

Brenda

Along the Dubrovnik wall, here is a view of swimmers enjoying the Adriatic Sea from a hotel location.:

As one walks along the wall on the sea side, there are two areas known as Buza Bars, where people can hang out, have a drink and swim. You reach the cliffs through a hole, "buza", in the city walls. This looks like one of those. (We were able to find one with excellent directions.) Anyone can enjoy the lovely views provided at one of my favorite spots in old Dubrovnik. (And there are very few stairs.)

Morning,

Been browsing the boards and found this thread. Plan to be in Dubrovnik for a day in May and was hoping for some advice. Originally we planned an all day excursion but it didn’t include climbing the wall, and that’s something I really want to do. My dilemma is that I have some problems with my feet and I know it will be challenging. So then I decided maybe we’d just spend the whole day in Old Town and do the wall on our own and then I can take my time and go at my own pace.

My question is, how much time should you allow to do the whole wall? I don’t know if I’ll be able to do it, but curious to see the time-frame involved. Because now I am considering a 4 hour morning excursion that ends in Old Town at Noon and I thought maybe that would be enough time to do the wall and still get back to the ship by 4:30 for a 5pm departure. Not sure how much time to allow to get back to the ship. From all I’ve read, the walk back to the ship is much easier than the walk up, but at this point I might need to grab some type of transportation! :D

Any input would be appreciated. Sore feet and all, I think I am most looking forward to this port and the wall!

Thanks so much, and thanks for the photos posted. I really enjoyed them.

Brenda

The wall is 2 kilometers long, a grand total of 1080 steps both up and down. May I strongly suggest that you begin at main entrance closest to Pile gate and walk only the sea side, which is the easier half. There are 89 steps at that entrance to reach the top, they have a railing and you can take your time, once atop there is a small stone place to rest. The sea side will take about 1 hour or perhaps a bit longer if you go very slowly. You can exit the wall close to the Maritime Museum and still have enjoyed the roof top and sea views.The other half of the wall is the most difficult with the majority of it going upwards and far too many steps until you reach the Minceta Tower.

You do not mention what part of May you arrive, but our weather should not be hot and humid yet. However it has been a very strange year weather wise, last night we had a horrific hail storm.

There is yet no word of it the fee for the wall will increase this year, but it was 70 Kuna per person - NO other currency accepted but you can use a credit card at the main entrance only.

Enjoy your day here in Dubrovnik.

As one walks along the wall on the sea side, there are two areas known as Buza Bars, where people can hang out, have a drink and swim. You reach the cliffs through a hole, "buza", in the city walls. This looks like one of those. (We were able to find one with excellent directions.) Anyone can enjoy the lovely views provided at one of my favorite spots in old Dubrovnik. (And there are very few stairs.)

Please note the tag line on this photo is not correct. It is not a swimming spot from a hotel but it is one of the Buza bars. With good directions it can be found, but May might be a bit early weather depending.

The wall is 2 kilometers long, a grand total of 1080 steps both up and down. May I strongly suggest that you begin at main entrance closest to Pile gate and walk only the sea side, which is the easier half. There are 89 steps at that entrance to reach the top, they have a railing and you can take your time, once atop there is a small stone place to rest. The sea side will take about 1 hour or perhaps a bit longer if you go very slowly. You can exit the wall close to the Maritime Museum and still have enjoyed the roof top and sea views.The other half of the wall is the most difficult with the majority of it going upwards and far too many steps until you reach the Minceta Tower.

You do not mention what part of May you arrive, but our weather should not be hot and humid yet. However it has been a very strange year weather wise, last night we had a horrific hail storm.

There is yet no word of it the fee for the wall will increase this year, but it was 70 Kuna per person - NO other currency accepted but you can use a credit card at the main entrance only.

Enjoy your day here in Dubrovnik.

Thank you so much. I actually found the other very long thread where everyone is asking questions. I’m about halfway through reading it, but did discover it’s about 2 hours to do the whole thing. I’ll have to see how I feel that day, but would like to tackle the whole thing if I can stand it. But at least I know what to do if I can’t.

We arrive May 12th on the Grand. There is a short excursion that goes out to Cavat and it sounds like they make a stop to get a panoramic view of the city. Then it ends back at Old Town for a Folklore show. The cable car is of interest to me now that I’ve seen others talking about it. I’m surprised none of the excursions include that. Is the view from the lookout similar to what you’d see from the cable car? If not, I’ll just have to decide what is most important. I know I can’t possibly do it all.

Thanks,

Brenda

Thank you so much. I actually found the other very long thread where everyone is asking questions. I’m about halfway through reading it, but did discover it’s about 2 hours to do the whole thing. I’ll have to see how I feel that day, but would like to tackle the whole thing if I can stand it. But at least I know what to do if I can’t.

We arrive May 12th on the Grand. There is a short excursion that goes out to Cavat and it sounds like they make a stop to get a panoramic view of the city. Then it ends back at Old Town for a Folklore show. The cable car is of interest to me now that I’ve seen others talking about it. I’m surprised none of the excursions include that. Is the view from the lookout similar to what you’d see from the cable car? If not, I’ll just have to decide what is most important. I know I can’t possibly do it all.

Thanks,

Brenda

The view of Dubrovnik from the top of Mt. Srd is so much more than a short stop at the view point on the highway. If you have time to take the cable car, please do not miss the trip up there. At the top is a museum to the 1991 Homeland War, something which you should not miss.

You are correct, in short afternoon it is impossible to do it all. Enjoy your time in Dubrovnik.

The view of Dubrovnik from the top of Mt. Srd is so much more than a short stop at the view point on the highway. If you have time to take the cable car, please do not miss the trip up there. At the top is a museum to the 1991 Homeland War, something which you should not miss.

You are correct, in short afternoon it is impossible to do it all. Enjoy your time in Dubrovnik.

Are the views from the Cabrio bus tour stop and the cable car quite different and from different places?

Are the views from the Cabrio bus tour stop and the cable car quite different and from different places?

Cabrio bus runs along the upper highway which is only about half way up the mountain above the old town a bit south. The cable car will take you to the top of the mountain where you can see down to Cavtat and the entire Gruz harbor area. It is the best view as far as I'm concerned.

Do note Cabrio bus normally will begin about 01 May, but does not run during high winds or rain. We do not get much summer rain but there can be high winds any time of year.

Enjoy your time here.

Thanks again….more and more I’m thinking it’s just best to forget the excursion, stay in town, and do what we can and what my feet will allow. Seems like everything I’ve read about the cable car mentions people taking a taxi or other transportation up, and the cable car down. This is probably a dumb question, but is there any particular reason no one takes the cable car up AND down? I think that is probably what I would want to do.

Archived