Explorer of the Seas or Celebrity Summit?

I am trying to figure out a cruise for next August/September 2012. I am looking at the Explorer of the Seas 10 night out of Bayonne (8/30) and the Celebrity Summit out of Bayonne (9/2) doing a 6 night Bermuda cruise. My first choice is the Explorer because of the longer and better itinerary, however I am worried that the ship is looking "tired" and "old" based on some recent reviews. In a years time I would assume it would only get worse. On the other hand, Celebrity Summit is going through a massive dry dock in January and will emerge "Solsticized". Although price isn't too much of a factor, the Celebrity cruise is 499 and the RCCL cruise is 899 both for inside cabins.

Any insight would be appreciated!

I am trying to figure out a cruise for next August/September 2012. I am looking at the Explorer of the Seas 10 night out of Bayonne (8/30) and the Celebrity Summit out of Bayonne (9/2) doing a 6 night Bermuda cruise. My first choice is the Explorer because of the longer and better itinerary, however I am worried that the ship is looking "tired" and "old" based on some recent reviews. In a years time I would assume it would only get worse. On the other hand, Celebrity Summit is going through a massive dry dock in January and will emerge "Solsticized". Although price isn't too much of a factor, the Celebrity cruise is 499 and the RCCL cruise is 899 both for inside cabins.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Tough to compare prices because one is a 6 night and one a 10 night...what about a B2B on Celebrity? Oh.......now you have me thinking!

As you said, Summit will be Solsticized by then. But it is still a vast contrast to Explorer. What are your on board preferences? If you prefer a large ship with a lot of activities and a better family atmosphere, Explorer is your ship. If you prefer a more subdued atmosphere, less activities, and enrichment seminars, Summit is the better choice.

But I say all that on equal itineraries.

10 nights vs. 6 nights? Easy. Explorer.

Archived