Seattle to Victoria, BC

Eventide331

All you dear ones who live in Seattle or have cruised out of Seattle... I need your assistance. We are coming into Seattle a couple of days pre-cruise (Westerdam) and while the ship does stop for a short evening in Victoria, we want to spend an entire day there! (Husband is photographer and doing a project with photos from Buchart Gardens so this is a business thing too) Anyway... I need help on how do we get to Victoria the least expensive way?

We would like to go there on Friday morning and return on Friday evening as we depart on the Westerdam on Saturday. There will be three of us, as our 21 year old son is joining us for this cruise.

Blessings!

I have used Victoria Clipper Ferry and think that's your very best bet. Here's a link to the schedule for the Clipper Ferry. This ferry will take you right from downtown Seattle to Victoria's Inner Harbour. Near the Inner Harbour you can find buses, either local or tour buses, to get you to Butchart Gardens.

Another option would be to rent a car, drive north on Interstate 5 to the exit sign for Anacortes (then head west), and catch the ferry there that goes through the San Juan Islands and on to Victoria. Here's the link to the Washington State Ferry System's Anacortes Ferry. This ferry takes you to Swartz Bay, which is very close to Butchart Gardens. I lived on Whidbey Island, which is just south of Anacortes, and we took this ferry often to visit Victoria (and the San Juan Islands).

Have fun! Either way, your husband will have lots to photograph on your way through the San Juan Islands to Victoria. It's a gorgeous trip!

All you dear ones who live in Seattle or have cruised out of Seattle... I need your assistance. We are coming into Seattle a couple of days pre-cruise (Westerdam) and while the ship does stop for a short evening in Victoria, we want to spend an entire day there! (Husband is photographer and doing a project with photos from Buchart Gardens so this is a business thing too) Anyway... I need help on how do we get to Victoria the least expensive way?

We would like to go there on Friday morning and return on Friday evening as we depart on the Westerdam on Saturday. There will be three of us, as our 21 year old son is joining us for this cruise.

Blessings!

Options for Seattle-Victoria;

Fly: Alaska(Horizon) Air, SEA-YYJ/Victoria

Fly: Kenmore Air (float plane); LKE/Lake Union-YWH/Victoria Inner Harbour

Boat: Victoria Clipper

Boat: (drive to Port Angeles then--) Black Ball Ferries MV Coho (cohoferry.com)

Boat: (drive to Tsawwassen) BC Ferries Tsawwassen - Swartz Bay

it may be worthwhile investigating with the cruise line if you can just get off the boat altogether in Victoria, and then spend a couple of days, rather than going back to Seattle, back to Victoria, etc.

I agree with scottbee ; just get off the ship in Victoria instead of going all the way to Seattle, then take the Clipper when you're ready to return to Seattle.

But , if you already have your airline reservations, I'd go with the Clipper since you only have time for a day trip. If you sail on a Thurs and book 7 days in advance the AAA fare is $87, Fri is $97. Take the earliest trip from Seattle and latest from Victoria and you'll have 4-5 hrs there. I'd go on a Thurs just because the crowds are a little lighter.

You can catch a local bus to the Gardens (info on the Garden web site). Keep in mind that it's about 1/2 hr from Victoria harbor.

Your son might prefer spending the day in Seattle at the Seattle Center/Science Center/Music Experience/Space Needle.

wow... wish we could go on Thursday. We are meeting a client on Thursday so that option is out:( Our flight from Tennessee into Seattle doesn't arrive SEA until 11:30pm on Wednesday evening. We might not be too excited to be on the clipper by 7:30 anyway. Great advice about just staying in Victoria from cruise ship but our airline flights are already booked. Thanks so much!!

Thanks for the wonderful advice! Will definately be checking into this more. I notice the internet rate is a wee bit better so may try and book online. Someone on this board has mentioned a Seattle Tour Saver book. How expensive are they? I understand from the gal at Clipper that we might save a buck or two that way. It is so wonderful to have this venue to get tips!

google and you'll find http://www.seattletoursaver.com/home/

Toursaver books aren't cheap BUT can save you a bundle, IF there are discounts you can use. You'll have to read thru the list and see for yourself. In only 2 days, and 1 of them being in Victoria you won't have much opportunity. There's a 2 nights for 1 at Homewood Suites. That coupled with the Victoria trip might make the initial cost worthwhile. And maybe a Seattle tour the day of your cruise. The terminal is only 15 minutes from downtown so you'll have time.

BTW, if your husband is into photography he might enjoy an early morning visit to Pike Place Market before your cruise. The flower and produce displays are amazing. The fish market is pretty interesting too.

Archived