Pre-Booking

arewethereyetno

I will be in Alaska late July , Does anyone know if the Princess McKinley lodge does Pre- Booking for excursions ? I was reading some of the post and looking at the McKinley web site and the Argo Adventure tour sounds fun but I would like to Pre-book for my two sons. But from what I have gathered is The Mckinley lodge will not Pre-book. Does anybody know any different ? We will be in the Talkeetna area for a few days.

Thanks

I tried calling the McKinley lodge the other day but no one was there. We wanted to also see about Pre-booking one of the Excursions we did last summer because it was always full. You might want to ask Alaskanguide on this forum he lives in Talkeetna he might know something , He has been very helpful to me.

Good luck if you find out something please post it on the forum.

Thanks

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are taking a trip with Princess in the middle of May. We will be staying two nights and one full day at Mt. McKinley Wilderness Lodge. For several reasons, we are unable to do a flight tour. We are wondering what to do during our stay there. One thought is to spend the day in Talkeetna. Another idea is to do one of the excursions that is offered through Princess. Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks, Jori

we were there in July of '03 and took an excursion we found very interesting.

It was a jet boat down the river to a homestead. The tour is conducted by the owner of the homestead and limited to 6 people at a time (it's a very small jet boat). During the river ride the owner/operator tells you all about the area and points out wildlife (we saw our first eagle and our first salmon - swimming freely on this tour). You go to the homestead and have some refreshments and chat with him and his wife.

We were lucky and it was just four of us (dh & me and another couple we were travelling with). It was definitely one of the best excursions we ever went on and if it is still offered, we'd highly recommend it.

In addition to enjoying the time we spent with the homesteader (I think his name is John and the homestead is something like Kantishna, Kintooshna) - I'm trying to reorganize and can't seem to put my hands on my photo album), we enjoyed chatting with the young man from the "excursion" desk who drove us over to the boat pick up spot and then came back to pick us up.

Thanks Genessa I'll have to look into that. I know there are several float/boat trips. We will also probably check out Talkeetna ( I know it's small so it probably won't take long).

The moose dropping festival in mid-July in Talkeetna is always lots of fun, but I think you'll be there too late for that. There is also a folk music festival, but I'm not sure when that takes place. If you have a car there's some great salmon fishing on the creeks near town. My favorite is Sunshine Creek (go over the bridge on the Parks, turn right at the garbage dump and follow the dirt road), although it can get crowded on weekends.

Hmmm.

I thought this is where I stayed with my parents in Aug. '03. And I booked the hotel right after I booked the cruise. Our stay (only 2 nights) was too short for a cruisetour with Princess so I did it all independently.

We stayed at a Princess lodge, directly across from Mt. McK & we got to see that magnificent peak for an entire afternoon and evening. I thought it was the Princess McKinley Lodge.

Check with your travel agent to be sure.

Have fun.

greatcruisinghome

I will be in Alaska late July , Does anyone know if the Princess McKinley lodge does Pre- Booking for excursions ? I was reading some of the post and looking at the McKinley web site and the Argo Adventure tour sounds fun but I would like to Pre-book for my two sons. But from what I have gathered is The Mckinley lodge will not Pre-book. Does anybody know any different ? We will be in the Talkeetna area for a few days.

Thanks

Thanks for all the help ,I did some calling and found the web site for the Argo tours I booked the tour for my 2 sons , The owners sounded real nice and sounds like safety is a high priority for them. They also said they have both rain suits and ponchos but they prefer you wear the ponchos on the argo tours if anything at all . Here is the site if you need it

http://blackbearatvadventures.zoomshare.com/3.html

Archived